BFTG - Norwich

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Norwich

by leon » 05 Oct 2022 10:30

Zip
Royal_jimmy
Zip I thought we were brilliant against a team who I reckon will win promotion.
We started slowly but then had a twenty minute spell when we were all over them and should have scored. The atmosphere in the ground was terrific at this stage.

When Narch scored players heads didn’t drop. Once we equalised they did then take control of the game and Ince was a little slow bringing on subs. Having said that Norwich really didn’t create much. We were very good value for the point. Very encouraging.

In the queue waiting for the bus back to Mereoak I started talking with two gents and we discovered that we all lived in the Cheltenham area. One of the guys asked me if I was a nobber and guessed who I was based upon his browsing on HNA. The conversation took a downward turn when he mentioned he had previously met a certain Ian Royal v Blackpool.. Fortunately he mentioned I was much better looking and for more intelligent than master Royal and considerably taller. I modestly nodded in agreement.

It would be very amusing if we could beat the fakes on Friday night and go top,.

:lol: :lol: brilliant!

Genuinely met these guys and the one guessed my user name straight away. He also mentioned Country Royal and Glos Royal from our part of the world too. He has also met Ian. I may have made up the bit about being better looking etc just to annoy master Royal. 8)

If he was shorter than you he'd be wee Jimmy Krankie

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Oct 2022 10:34

leon
Hendo Thought the ref was fine, a few 50/50s could've gone our way, didn't see their goal until after but it should 100% have been ruled out

WTAF? :?

Blame the lino more for the goal with Pukki being offside. Lumley was the only one to really complain about the goal which suggest the rest of the players didn't see the handball either, so hard for the ref to see it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Oct 2022 10:43

Hendo
leon
Hendo Thought the ref was fine, a few 50/50s could've gone our way, didn't see their goal until after but it should 100% have been ruled out

Blame the lino more for the goal with Pukki being offside. Lumley was the only one to really complain about the goal which suggest the rest of the players didn't see the handball either, so hard for the ref to see it.

other than being right behind it?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Oct 2022 10:47

leon
Hendo
leon

The angle from C1871 is very clear, but I think with the player having his back to goal, the ref can't quite see it properly and maybe assumed its come off his body or his leg. I might be giving a bit too much credit to the ref though. Also from where I was sat, was almost in line with the ref and it didn't even cross my mind it was handball at the time.

Just think the lino was more at fault as showed by Lumley constantly talking to him throughout the rest of the half.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Oct 2022 10:53

Hendo
leon
Hendo

The angle from C1871 is very clear, but I think with the player having his back to goal, the ref can't quite see it properly and maybe assumed its come off his body or his leg. I might be giving a bit too much credit to the ref though. Also from where I was sat, was almost in line with the ref and it didn't even cross my mind it was handball at the time.

Just think the lino was more at fault as showed by Lumley constantly talking to him throughout the rest of the half.

He missed it, it happens. Is quite telling looking at Sargent (I think it was him) and he is the onl Norwich player not to go celebrate - he simply stands there almost expecting the free kick to be given at any second.

No idea how the linesman missed the offside. Anyway, it was given, if Champ had VAR it wouldn't have been but who knows what might have happened if it hadn't have stood. Norwich may well have got the wind in there sails and gone on to score a little later anyway.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Oct 2022 10:55

Actually a bit disappointed with a point from a game with a team I think will be promoted!

Finishing needs work but otherwise tremendous - so great to have something worth watching again! Really like the look of young Obi-Wan the force seems strong with him at the moment. Trying to remember Saturday if Hendrick had scored so far,I’ll now try to remember if Carroll has scored so far!

Let’s not get carried away though as Friday brings an away game to the microscope.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Oct 2022 11:13

2 games where everybody played well.
Having watched some of Norwich's game at Blackpool I thought beforehand that we had a decent chance.

I know it is said by somebody every year but I really do think that the standard in the Championship is more even than ever with (at least so far) no outstanding side.
Friday may well show whether we are now stronger and more confident than in those earlier away thrashings and if so we really do have a chance of finishing well into the top half rather than the bottom half that we all feared at the start of the season.

Well done to Ince(s), the players and Bowen and long may performances like these continue with everything crossed that Andy Carroll stays fit.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Oct 2022 11:24

South Coast Royal 2 games where everybody played well.
Having watched some of Norwich's game at Blackpool I thought beforehand that we had a decent chance.

I know it is said by somebody every year but I really do think that the standard in the Championship is more even than ever with (at least so far) no outstanding side.
Friday may well show whether we are now stronger and more confident than in those earlier away thrashings and if so we really do have a chance of finishing well into the top half rather than the bottom half that we all feared at the start of the season.

Well done to Ince(s), the players and Bowen and long may performances like these continue with everything crossed that Andy Carroll stays fit.

Interesting article on The Athletic about Norwich that is essentially saying that there is disgruntlement from the fans about a lack of performances, including last night, yet they are on a 9-game unbeaten run and are still second in the table. I think it's highlighting the lack of quality within the division.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 05 Oct 2022 11:35

Good performance, Hoilett, Carroll excellent, and mentions for Hutch and Hendrick. Can't recall Lumley making a save, which is a good look against a fancied team. Good noise coming out of 1871 as well. One worry is how knackered some looked with another game looming fast.

Another pretty poor refereeing performance, but christ, he wasn't helped by his assistants. The one in front of the West stand first half was terrified to make a decision.

Narch away kit looks absolutely mustard

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2022 11:48

We started slowly but then had a twenty minute spell when we were all over them and should have scored. The atmosphere in the ground was terrific at this stage.

When Narch scored players heads didn’t drop. Once we equalised they did then take control of the game and Ince was a little slow bringing on subs. Having said that Norwich really didn’t create much. We were very good value for the point. Very encouraging.

In the queue waiting for the bus back to Mereoak I started talking with two gents and we discovered that we all lived in the Cheltenham area. One of the guys asked me if I was a nobber and guessed who I was based upon his browsing on HNA. The conversation took a downward turn when he mentioned he had previously met a certain Ian Royal v Blackpool.. Fortunately he mentioned I was much better looking and for more intelligent than master Royal and considerably taller. I modestly nodded in agreement.

It would be very amusing if we could beat the fakes on Friday night and go top,.

LOL, who was it? Former nobber? I don’t know if I've met many non-nobbers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2022 11:50

Stranded
Greatwesternline Bemused at the comments that the ref was abysmal. I read them every week and rarely watch a match. I watched this one on sky sports arena, who knew?

The ref was completely unremarkable, giving players yellows when deserved, and not giving them when not deserved. What more could you ask for?

If that is an abysmal refereeing performance, what is an ordinary one?

He was fine however, he did miss an absolutely massive handball in Norwich's goal. Ball was directed to Hanley via the arm of Sargent and the lino didn't flag Pukki for offside even though he was standing between Hanley and Lumley. Ref had a clear line of sight on the handball too but it happens.

Didn’t see the handball, though wasn't clear. I think you'll almost never see Pukki flagged off there.

Ref let a fair amount go... mostly evenly, bit more lenient to them on yellows. Missed the odd thing. Ok performance.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Oct 2022 11:57

Snowflake Royal

He doesn't post but browses. He thought he met you at a game v Blackpool but wasn't entirely certain. Nice guy. Similar age to me as in late 50's I guess. He was amused when he had guessed who I was.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Oct 2022 12:02

Someone on Twitter questioned if we needed Carroll and asked what role he would fill and I responded saying that all I can think of was our performance vs Millwall with Carroll playing the Long role. That's what we saw last night and it was beautiful.

If we can somehow get Hoilett, Carroll, Joao, Ince and Yiadom into the same starting XI we would certainly reap more rewards.

Last night I thought Hoilett was impeccable. His best performance for us and there's been some competition for that honour.

Special mention to Tom Holmes who did a great job.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Oct 2022 12:05

Dean Smith comments from Norwich perspective:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... l-25181303

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2022 12:28

Zip
Snowflake Royal

He doesn't post but browses. He thought he met you at a game v Blackpool but wasn't entirely certain. Nice guy. Similar age to me as in late 50's I guess. He was amused when he had guessed who I was.

If he thought you were taller, he hasn't met me. :P

Actually, I'm pretty certain I've never been to Blackpool away. And I don't think I've chatted to anyone of that description at home games.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Oct 2022 12:34

Sutekh Actually a bit disappointed with a point from a game with a team I think will be promoted!

Just to clarify - you referring to Norwich or us when you say "a team I think will be promoted"?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Oct 2022 12:36

Millsy
Sutekh Actually a bit disappointed with a point from a game with a team I think will be promoted!

Just to clarify - you referring to Norwich or us when you say "a team I think will be promoted"?

Norwich

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Oct 2022 12:49

Sutekh
Millsy

Norwich

Oh I almost got excited then.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Oct 2022 12:50

Excellent performance from the lot of them last night, particularly impressed with Carroll, Hendrick and Hoilett, although NGW had another superb game

Two things stood out last night which has been such a rare occurrence these last few years which both stem from management, the ability to be flexible and mix it up - the long balls to Carroll, or playing it out wide and taking on the fullback or playing it between the lines through the middle when the opportunity arises, a refreshing chance to not see such a one dimensional team. As mentioned elsewhere, Ince swapping round Hutchinson and Holmes after they brought on the more direct Hernandez was a great call. And also a much better use of subs too - you could see Norwich were getting a foothold into the game and whilst the subs didn’t really give us momentum, it stopped theirs completely

As seen plenty of times this season, excellent work rate from the lot of them. Defending starts from from our attack and when you hassle them from the top end of the pitch, as opposed to your striker and CAM aimlessly ambling around the pitch, it makes a huge difference as you force them into rushed decisions, hence the endless chipped balls Norwich kept trying, none of which worked

9 - Carroll, Hendrick, Hoilett
8 - Holmes, Hutchinson, McIntyre, NGW, Loum
7 - Ince, Fornah, Mbengue
6 - Lumley, Ejaria, Joao

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Oct 2022 12:54

URZZZZ As mentioned elsewhere, Ince swapping round Hutchinson and Holmes after they brought on the more direct Hernandez was a great call. And also a much better use of subs too - you could see Norwich were getting a foothold into the game and whilst the subs didn’t really give us momentum, it stopped theirs completely

This alone gives me huge confidence in Ince/Rae. I can't think of the last manager we had who could use subs appropriately and change things around effectively. Doesn't mean they're geniuses as we still got destroyed several times this season, but it's definitely promising.