PInce - Concerns Developing - Is He Confused?

135 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: PInce - Concerns Developing - Is He Confused?

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Jan 2023 10:15

Stranded Sacking Ince now after a shocker makes little to no sense and the only people calling for it are those who never wanted the guy in the first place.

He is doing fine, we are doing fine - do I want us to settle for "fine", no of course not, but I accept that fine is good enough for now. Ince does have a style but I'm not convinced it's been fully implemented because of the tools at his disposal - that may well change next year and, assuming we don't suddenly slide to relegation, if it doesn't and we are stuggling next year, then may well be the time to say thanks and move on.

I've seen a lot of people going on about it just being 4 wins in 17 and it is, and that isn't great - bottom 3 form over than time in fact but people choose to ignore that that run was mostly set up by the run of 1 win in 9 up to the Hull game, which included some stupidly tough games and rank bad luck (see Burnley).

Since Hull, we are 9th in the form table with a solid mid-table W3 D2 L3 - Saturday was beyond poor and we need to perform against Watford (any performance v Utd doesn't count) to show that the last 3 halves of football are not how the rest of the year will pan out.

Sat was dreadful, as was the first half at Brum but that's going to happen with what Ince is working with.

Agree with much of the above, also by and large we've had a tough run of games since Oct, and way more games played away than home (4 more).

The acid test will be from mid Feb when we get some return games against the struggling sides

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jan 2023 10:25

Have my doubts about the longevity Ince can provide us but the here and now, he’s doing more than fine. May be a case of Ince stabilising the club for however long that takes and providing the foundations for the next manager but we’re a while off that. See Ince in a similar mould to Bowen’s reign here, where he’s toughened us up but an overall lack of potency in attack. Paunovic had massive limitations but was able to use the foundations Bowen had set to achieve a 7th place finish

Although I do think Ince is missing a massive trick in not playing Long. Said before but he’s happy to rotate Ince, Meite, Carroll and Joao (to a lesser extent) up top and they’re not delivering enough. The way we play goes hand in hand with the way Long plays yet he doesn’t seem interested in starting him. Don’t quite understand it

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2023 10:30

URZZZZ Have my doubts about the longevity Ince can provide us but the here and now, he’s doing more than fine. May be a case of Ince stabilising the club for however long that takes and providing the foundations for the next manager but we’re a while off that. See Ince in a similar mould to Bowen’s reign here, where he’s toughened us up but an overall lack of potency in attack. Paunovic had massive limitations but was able to use the foundations Bowen had set to achieve a 7th place finish

Although I do think Ince is missing a massive trick in not playing Long. Said before but he’s happy to rotate Ince, Meite, Carroll and Joao (to a lesser extent) up top and they’re not delivering enough. The way we play goes hand in hand with the way Long plays yet he doesn’t seem interested in starting him. Don’t quite understand it

With Long, there must be questions over if he has the legs to start games still and if so, how long we can get out of him. Seems to be the only reason not to start him more regularly. The pace he still has, it is probably better to get 30 mins out of him against tiring defences as opposed to an hour against fresh legs.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Jan 2023 11:01

In Ince's favour is the fact he's come out called it pretty much how we saw it, isn't making up excuses or refusing to speak to the media. It now remains to be seen what he can and will do about it.

Other managers would have a list of excuses lined up in advance.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jan 2023 11:06

I said back in December that we had a tricky run of 8 games from Swansea onwards where a point a game would be OK. We've got 5 from 5 so far. Granted, the Stoke game was one that I thought we would definitely get something from and the performance was shocking but let's not panic when we're on the middle of arguable our toughest run of fixtures of the season.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Jan 2023 11:59

I was very upset post-Stoke and wanted Ince out but on reflection, we're still over-performing yet seem to have an absolute shocker in us and not really the odd masterclass to balance it out, hence why we sit midtable with a -11 GD.

Ince will probably be here next season and be far less restricted on who he can go for so I suppose you'd expect big improvements in consistency at least.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2023 12:02

After Man U we have Watford at home (depends on their injury situation but would hope for a point at least), Sunderland away (decent side but slightly dodgy home record)

After that we have

Rotherham (h), Cardiff (a), Blackpool (h) before a tough looking March

So basically end of Feb we could be safe if we play well

April looks relatively easy as well tbh inc games against Brum (h), Wigan (h), Bristol (a) and PNE (a) - all games you’d be confident of getting something from

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Jan 2023 12:11

Hound After Man U we have Watford at home (depends on their injury situation but would hope for a point at least), Sunderland away (decent side but slightly dodgy home record)

After that we have

April looks relatively easy as well tbh inc games against Brum (h), Wigan (h), Bristol (a) and PNE (a) - all games you’d be confident of getting something from

I would've thought most would've been confident about getting something from Stoke, given their position in the table and poor run of form. Instead the team turned in yet another dire performance demonstrating all the faults that P Ince has previously moaned about but seems unable to rectify.

Rather than just hanging his players out to dry for the performances and results (he couldn't use his normal excuses of Sky, EFL, fixture madness etc. on Saturday) it's time he started admitting some responsibility himself.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 23 Jan 2023 13:42

Forbury Lion In Ince's favour is the fact he's come out called it pretty much how we saw it, isn't making up excuses or refusing to speak to the media. It now remains to be seen what he can and will do about it.

Other managers would have a list of excuses lined up in advance.

Ince does not mince his words and I bet he said all of it to the players faces as well before the media. One thing that i have noticed he blames a lot on the players...but not many times he points the finger on himself. Tactics and line ups have been huge factors in some woeful performances.

Its obvious Ince is no tactical genius he wasn't bought in to be one either. He has steadied the ship and put us in a general direction.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Jan 2023 16:50

RoyalBlue
Hound After Man U we have Watford at home (depends on their injury situation but would hope for a point at least), Sunderland away (decent side but slightly dodgy home record)

After that we have

I would've thought most would've been confident about getting something from Stoke, given their position in the table and poor run of form. Instead the team turned in yet another dire performance demonstrating all the faults that P Ince has previously moaned about but seems unable to rectify.

Rather than just hanging his players out to dry for the performances and results (he couldn't use his normal excuses of Sky, EFL, fixture madness etc. on Saturday) it's time he started admitting some responsibility himself.

Likewise I think most would have been confident of getting beat against Norwich twice, yet we didn't lose either game. It's a strange season where anyone can beat anyone, but over the course of the season, your results balance out. Like Rotherham, 4 points away to Sheff United and Watford sounds great, but the rest of their results between those are relegation-like, that's why they are where they are.

Ultimately, we don't know what Ince says to the players in the dressing room. The staff probably do take responsibility and will look at what they can do, but ultimately, you can only work with what you've got. It's not like we can dip into the market and look to pick someone up, we are just going to have to admit we have what we have and move forward with that. We are doing well enough, most mid-table sides year-on-year have an absolute shocker a few times a season and are still relatively comfortable. I'd say give Ince the time to rectify the issues. I doubt he will be the man to take us up, but we are a few seasons away from that yet anyway.

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 23 Jan 2023 17:27

Too many more games like Saturday and he could be the man who takes us down!

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 23 Jan 2023 17:39

MR.CYNICAL Too many more games like Saturday and he could be the man who takes us down!

So so refreshing to get the more inconvenient but realistic opinion.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 23 Jan 2023 20:30

karbota
MR.CYNICAL Too many more games like Saturday and he could be the man who takes us down!

So so refreshing to get the more inconvenient but realistic opinion.

1. Notts County 27 9 4 0 9 4 1 18 8 1 69 25 44 62
2. P Parkinson 26 12 0 0 7 5 2 19 5 2 67 23 44 62
3. Woking Town 26 8 2 3 8 2 3 16 4 6 47 25 22 52

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 23 Jan 2023 21:37

No concerns over Ince. One of the favourites to go down with the bookies and currently looking like we are 4/5 wins from safety. Also 4th best home form in the league is giving me great value for money on my season ticket. There will be bumps in the road but surely that’s to be expected given our circumstances. No other team has had to operate under our constraints.

Also I see a lot of people moaning about style of play. Can you build a style of play when you are shopping in a free transfer market and no fee loan deals.

It will be an interesting summer and hopefully Mark Bowen & Brian Carey can bring us in some decent players to add to this group.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Jan 2023 08:53

We were favourites to go down. We were still odds on favourites to go down after 8 games. Ince has worked wonders. This season was all about staying up. If he achieves that, its been a success and deserves another full season where he can add to the squad. That was not an Ince thing on Saturday, it was players who quite frankly were all pretty shocking.

135 posts