Relegation watch 22/23

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relegation watch 22/23

by blythspartan » 09 Nov 2022 13:37

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan This season is still going better than I’d expected. The start was brilliant but we were obviously in a false position which raised expectations. The only disappointing thing for me is not getting a win at a Burnley or a Sheff U. Even under Pauno we were able to pull off the odd shock result.

Is it still going better, or are our early points masking how bad it currently is?

Yes, we're still mid-table, but we'd be hard pressed to have dropped further than we have in the amount of games we've had.

Table position is going better but you might be right about the good start papering over the current cracks.

I decided at the beginning of the season to stay positive, no matter what, hence buying a season ticket for the first time in a while. We look so negative at the moment which seems to coincide with us not getting thumped by teams. I find it hard to be too critical given our current circumstances and we have been on the wrong end of some poor refereeing decisions.

Personally, I’d like to see us attack teams more, especially at home but Ince seems to have got too bogged down in the strengths/tactics of the opposition. I understand being defensive and playing on the break away from home and grinding out an ugly draw or win but I want to see us go for the jugular at home and play without fear. I look at the squad and believe we have the players to do that but what do I know. Maybe we just aren’t good enough.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Nov 2022 14:35

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan This season is still going better than I’d expected. The start was brilliant but we were obviously in a false position which raised expectations. The only disappointing thing for me is not getting a win at a Burnley or a Sheff U. Even under Pauno we were able to pull off the odd shock result.

Is it still going better, or are our early points masking how bad it currently is?

Yes, we're still mid-table, but we'd be hard pressed to have dropped further than we have in the amount of games we've had.

Table position is going better but you might be right about the good start papering over the current cracks.

I decided at the beginning of the season to stay positive, no matter what, hence buying a season ticket for the first time in a while. We look so negative at the moment which seems to coincide with us not getting thumped by teams. I find it hard to be too critical given our current circumstances and we have been on the wrong end of some poor refereeing decisions.

Personally, I’d like to see us attack teams more, especially at home but Ince seems to have got too bogged down in the strengths/tactics of the opposition. I understand being defensive and playing on the break away from home and grinding out an ugly draw or win but I want to see us go for the jugular at home and play without fear. I look at the squad and believe we have the players to do that but what do I know. Maybe we just aren’t good enough.

Agreed - like to somehow add that more attacking flair to this team, to bust a gut to find those 9 more wins for survival.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2022 14:45

Snowflake Royal

First 10 or so games we were playing sides of similar or lesser standard to us and getting results. Second 10 we've mainly been playing teams who have been consistantly better - hence the table position of the sides we've played.

As long as we continue to pick up points against the sides regularly against the lower half, and the odd result against the top half, we'll be fine. If the drop off continues and we start failing against the "lesser" sides, we are screwed and heading for relegation

When you look at the results there haven't been many real WTF, that's a shock bar perhaps Rotherham - the tougher games have come in a clump and has caused the slump but I think we are about where we should be in a clump of 10 to 12 sides who could finish anywhere in the bottom half, or with a slight up turn threaten the top 10 but no more.

Ince deserves to take the squad into the break and start the second half of the season but if he can't arrest the slide quickly, we'll need to look at ways to doing so whether that is an external appointment or Bowen stepping in again (though that would be a mistake as would hinder future managerial recruitment in my mind).

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Nov 2022 15:22

It's not just us though is it, a lot of the clubs expected to be down there are now filtering towards the bottom. West Brom have won their last 2, Middlesbrough are picking up, whereas Rotherham at one stage were 20th before their win last night, Bristol City are now 20th after they were in the top 6/top half for the first few games, just mentioned Rotherham who were the same and would have been lower but for their win last night, Wigan were comfortably in the top half and are now in the bottom 3 etc.

The poorer teams are starting to filter down the table, so it's not like we are sinking like a stone, not many clubs have been better than us and have considerably easier fixtures. For example, Blackpool have 3 wins in 12 but have played the likes of Rotherham, Sunderland, Coventry, Middlesbrough, West Brom, Hull who are all bottom half sides (bar Coventry who moved into the top half last night). Bristol have 2 wins in 12 but have had a pretty bad run of fixtures, Rotherham also have 3 wins in 12 and have played the likes Hull, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Wigan, Middlesbrough in that time.

We've had harder runs of fixtures than the teams below us that are expected to be down there in the main and we aren't really significantly worse off than them. The only concern for me is the rot not setting in, which is where the World Cup break might come at the perfect time for us to regroup and "start again" in December and pick up points/wins again. Not to mention we've got a very winnable fixture in Hull at the weekend.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Nov 2022 16:41

Stranded
windermereROYAL
Royal_jimmy I hope our form improves but the 9 games after the world cup all look very tough. Could easily only win just 1 of those games and then they'll be big question marks over Ince's future

I counted them and yes they are very tough, the 10th game is Sunderland away, I would expect if the horrendous run continues then we will be looking for a new manager early in the new year.

Biggest difference though is gap between games and hopefully fit options in defence at least.

Whereas we have had 2 sets of 3 games in 6 days the gap between games after the break is

6 days
11 days
12 (but FA Cup in the gap)
14 (International Break)

So barely any scheduled 3 game weeks bar re-arranged games - this *should* help us.

Are cup replays still a thing from the 3rd round onwards? Also in the unlikely event Reading win a cup tie or two that will lead to postponements and rearranged fixtures.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Nov 2022 19:03

Royal_jimmy Its not just the defeats that concerns me. We've not really been unlucky in any of those results except maybe Luton away. Midfield looks weak and lacking spark which is strangling us from creating chances and scoring goals. Playing 5 at the back is negative and invites pressure and our full backs can't cross.

Ince needs to change it up

I’m sure someone else will have beat me to it, but you don’t feel that we were just a little unlucky not to get all three points at Burnley ?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2022 21:34

Sutekh
Stranded
windermereROYAL
I counted them and yes they are very tough, the 10th game is Sunderland away, I would expect if the horrendous run continues then we will be looking for a new manager early in the new year.

Biggest difference though is gap between games and hopefully fit options in defence at least.

Whereas we have had 2 sets of 3 games in 6 days the gap between games after the break is

6 days
11 days
12 (but FA Cup in the gap)
14 (International Break)

So barely any scheduled 3 game weeks bar re-arranged games - this *should* help us.

Are cup replays still a thing from the 3rd round onwards? Also in the unlikely event Reading win a cup tie or two that will lead to postponements and rearranged fixtures.

3rd and 4th round only. Am expecting us to put out a B side in the cup and lose to Cardiff but yes, there could be more midweek games though not currently scheduled.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Apr 2023 14:43

Bump.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Apr 2023 15:02

QPR 42 pts
Fri 7 Apr H Preston North End Championship 3pm
Mon 10 Apr A West Bromwich Albion Championship 3pm
Sat 15 Apr H Coventry City Championship 3pm
Wed 19 Apr H Norwich City Championship 7.45pm
Sat 22 Apr A Burnley Championship 3pm
Sat 29 Apr A Stoke City Championship 3pm
Mon 8 May H Bristol City Championship 3pm

Rotherham 41pts
Fri 7 Apr H West Bromwich Albion Championship 1pm
Mon 10 Apr A Norwich City Championship 3pm
Sat 15 Apr H Luton Town Championship 3pm
Tue 18 Apr H Burnley Championship 7.45pm
Sat 22 Apr A Bristol City Championship 3pm
Sat 29 Apr H Middlesbrough Championship 3pm
Mon 8 May A Wigan Athletic Championship 3pm

Cardiff 39 pts
Fri 7 Apr A Blackpool Championship 3pm
Mon 10 Apr H Sunderland Championship 3pm
Sat 15 Apr A Sheffield United Championship 12.30pm
Wed 19 Apr A Watford Championship 7.45pm
Sat 22 Apr H Stoke City Championship 3pm
Sat 29 Apr H Huddersfield Town Championship 3pm
Mon 8 May A Burnley Championship 3pm

Huddersfield 39 pts
Fri 7 Apr A Watford Championship 3pm
Mon 10 Apr H Blackburn Rovers Championship 12.30pm
Sat 15 Apr A Swansea City Championship 3pm
Tue 18 Apr A Sunderland Championship 7.45pm
Sat 29 Apr A Cardiff City Championship 3pm
Thu 4 May H Sheffield United Championship 7.45pm
Mon 8 May H Reading Championship 3pm

Blackpool 35 pts
Fri 7 Apr H Cardiff City Championship 3pm
Mon 10 Apr A Luton Town Championship 3pm
Sat 15 Apr H Wigan Athletic Championship 3pm
Tue 18 Apr H West Bromwich Albion Championship 7.45pm
Sat 22 Apr A Birmingham City Championship 3pm
Sat 29 Apr H Millwall Championship 3pm
Mon 8 May A Norwich City Championship 3pm

Wigan 34 pts
Fri 7 Apr A Sheffield United Championship 3pm
Mon 10 Apr H Swansea City Championship 3pm
Sat 15 Apr A Blackpool Championship 3pm
Tue 18 Apr A Stoke City Championship 7.45pm
Sat 22 Apr H Millwall Championship 3pm
Sat 29 Apr A Reading Championship 3pm
Mon 8 May H Rotherham United Championship 3pm
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 04 Apr 2023 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 04 Apr 2023 15:15

Huddersfield sending us down on the final day, or redemption for the P/O final. Not sure my old heart can take that one.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Apr 2023 15:29

Snowflake Royal

Ince now has a worse win ration than Paunovic.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Apr 2023 15:30

PATRIQT Huddersfield sending us down on the final day, or redemption for the P/O final. Not sure my old heart can take that one.

They have challenging run-in, as do Rotherham. but we need to start getting results.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 04 Apr 2023 15:31

If the team is relegated I may actually come along to a few games for the first time in about 7 or 8 years.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 04 Apr 2023 17:26

Sebastian the Red If the team is relegated I may actually come along to a few games for the first time in about 7 or 8 years.

If this team is relegated, there may not be a club to go and watch any more!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2023 17:39

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

First 10 or so games we were playing sides of similar or lesser standard to us and getting results. Second 10 we've mainly been playing teams who have been consistantly better - hence the table position of the sides we've played.

As long as we continue to pick up points against the sides regularly against the lower half, and the odd result against the top half, we'll be fine. If the drop off continues and we start failing against the "lesser" sides, we are screwed and heading for relegation

When you look at the results there haven't been many real WTF, that's a shock bar perhaps Rotherham - the tougher games have come in a clump and has caused the slump but I think we are about where we should be in a clump of 10 to 12 sides who could finish anywhere in the bottom half, or with a slight up turn threaten the top 10 but no more.

Ince deserves to take the squad into the break and start the second half of the season but if he can't arrest the slide quickly, we'll need to look at ways to doing so whether that is an external appointment or Bowen stepping in again (though that would be a mistake as would hinder future managerial recruitment in my mind).

Well sadly looks like my take was more reflective of where we were going. Although it's taken a points deduction to really do the nasty.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2023 17:39

Kitsondinho
Sebastian the Red If the team is relegated I may actually come along to a few games for the first time in about 7 or 8 years.

If this team is relegated, there may not be a club to go and watch any more!

Absolute horse cock.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 04 Apr 2023 18:03

QPR and Rotherham have a pretty tough run in!!! If, and that's a big if, we can beat Birmingham and get a point at Preston then we should be back above these two and the pressure shift will be right back on them!!

This 6 point deduction is over now, it's happened, we know what we did wrong, lets get over it and get these 6 points back ASAP.

The next two games couldn't be better, both Birmingham and Preston virtually have nothing to play for. Birmingham need one win for safety and Preston need a miracle for the play-offs.

Three wins will make us safe, two may just about get us there!! This game against Birmingham is the biggest of the season!! a win here will give the whole club a huge boost at exactly the time we need a huge boost and will set us up perfectly for the Preston game where we've done pretty well at Deepdale the past few seasons.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 04 Apr 2023 18:09

Crowbar6753 QPR and Rotherham have a pretty tough run in!!! If, and that's a big if, we can beat Birmingham and get a point at Preston then we should be back above these two and the pressure shift will be right back on them!!

This 6 point deduction is over now, it's happened, we know what we did wrong, lets get over it and get these 6 points back ASAP.

The next two games couldn't be better, both Birmingham and Preston virtually have nothing to play for. Birmingham need one win for safety and Preston need a miracle for the play-offs.

Three wins will make us safe, two may just about get us there!! This game against Birmingham is the biggest of the season!! a win here will give the whole club a huge boost at exactly the time we need a huge boost and will set us up perfectly for the Preston game where we've done pretty well at Deepdale the past few seasons.

Winning away at Preston was pivotal in staying up last season and the same might prove to be true this season too.
Last edited by Vision on 04 Apr 2023 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 04 Apr 2023 18:16

windermereROYAL QPR 42 pts
Fri 7 Apr H Preston North End Championship 3pm
Mon 10 Apr A West Bromwich Albion Championship 3pm
Sat 15 Apr H Coventry City Championship 3pm
Wed 19 Apr H Norwich City Championship 7.45pm
Sat 22 Apr A Burnley Championship 3pm
Sat 29 Apr A Stoke City Championship 3pm
Mon 8 May H Bristol City Championship 3pm