MATCHWATCH : Hull City (a)

250 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Hull City (a)

by Stranded » 15 Nov 2022 09:08

Snowflake Royal On a serious point, why would annyone involve Moore in the sqaud / team, with his history of issues and injuries baring in mind he's so obviously out the door in May?

This is a 29 year old player whose performance was declining 2 -3 seasons ago, and has since barely played football in 18 months after a string of injuries that kept him out. Having been injury riddled but playing on prior to that.

He's earning approx 3 times any of our other defenders which raises question marks over resentment given he doesn’t perform better than any of them, if he starts taking places.

At this point, Holmes, Hutchinson and Sarr are all better. McIntyre is at least as good and we have promising young players who would benefit from the bench and cameo appearances like Abbey, Stickland and Clarke. Arguably Yiadom is a better performing centreback this season than Moore was last time he played for us.

By the time Moore is fit, we should also have Holmes, Hutchinson, Sarr, McIntyre, Yiadom, maybe even (LOL) Dann available.

Where is his place? Its no where.

All of the above players have a potential future at the club (except Dann), Moore doesn’t.

We won't see what is going on in training day in, day out or know where the mindset of Ince, Moore and the club are now. It is absolutely still the most likely option that Moore is out the door at the very first opportunity - parting of the ways seems best for all.

However, if in a few weeks time he is fully fit, performing well in training, maybe getting minutes with the u23s and looking like the player he once was then if he remains available to us then it would be a tough choice to just ignore an experienced player.

As has been reported, his knee injury apparently uncovered a more serious issue that could have ended his career, it's possible that that underlying issue caused a downturn in his performances as he was subconsiously "managing" it. If that is fully healed he *could* return to the player he was a few years back, and if he is at his peak level then he would IMHO be the best CB at the club. It would be a surprise to see that though.

Worth noting that whilst the falling out was with the club, the new structure may be willing to move on from that and again, if he returns to full fitness the path to playing would be clear.

Also - and this is massively unlikely - Moore knows that come June he is never getting paid to his current level again, so if he does play well and the current club hierarchy on the football side are happy with him, there is always a chance he gets offered a new 2 year deal on a fraction of the money.

So yes, a lot of if, buts and maybes, but it is not just as simple as he'll be gone in June so why bother playing him when we have XYZ - though that remains one of the likelier paths.

It wouldn't surprise me if the player and physios are working towards him being involved in the FA Cup game in some description.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 15 Nov 2022 09:30

Stranded
Snowflake Royal On a serious point, why would annyone involve Moore in the sqaud / team, with his history of issues and injuries baring in mind he's so obviously out the door in May?

This is a 29 year old player whose performance was declining 2 -3 seasons ago, and has since barely played football in 18 months after a string of injuries that kept him out. Having been injury riddled but playing on prior to that.

He's earning approx 3 times any of our other defenders which raises question marks over resentment given he doesn’t perform better than any of them, if he starts taking places.

At this point, Holmes, Hutchinson and Sarr are all better. McIntyre is at least as good and we have promising young players who would benefit from the bench and cameo appearances like Abbey, Stickland and Clarke. Arguably Yiadom is a better performing centreback this season than Moore was last time he played for us.

By the time Moore is fit, we should also have Holmes, Hutchinson, Sarr, McIntyre, Yiadom, maybe even (LOL) Dann available.

Where is his place? Its no where.

All of the above players have a potential future at the club (except Dann), Moore doesn’t.

We won't see what is going on in training day in, day out or know where the mindset of Ince, Moore and the club are now. It is absolutely still the most likely option that Moore is out the door at the very first opportunity - parting of the ways seems best for all.

However, if in a few weeks time he is fully fit, performing well in training, maybe getting minutes with the u23s and looking like the player he once was then if he remains available to us then it would be a tough choice to just ignore an experienced player.

As has been reported, his knee injury apparently uncovered a more serious issue that could have ended his career, it's possible that that underlying issue caused a downturn in his performances as he was subconsiously "managing" it. If that is fully healed he *could* return to the player he was a few years back, and if he is at his peak level then he would IMHO be the best CB at the club. It would be a surprise to see that though.

Worth noting that whilst the falling out was with the club, the new structure may be willing to move on from that and again, if he returns to full fitness the path to playing would be clear.

Also - and this is massively unlikely - Moore knows that come June he is never getting paid to his current level again, so if he does play well and the current club hierarchy on the football side are happy with him, there is always a chance he gets offered a new 2 year deal on a fraction of the money.

So yes, a lot of if, buts and maybes, but it is not just as simple as he'll be gone in June so why bother playing him when we have XYZ - though that remains one of the likelier paths.

It wouldn't surprise me if the player and physios are working towards him being involved in the FA Cup game in some description.

This is a good sensible post. I get the impression that all the players are happier under PInce and Rae and maybe any former rift between Moore and the club is slowly healing.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Nov 2022 12:36

A fit Moore an in-form Moore a welcomed Moore can only be a good thing for Reading FC.

His earnings will have no effect on that changing room particularly of some of the big earners that are in there. If he fights for his place, performs and contributes to the 8 wins required for us to stay up of course he comes back into the team and will be welcomed by many. Players and fans alike.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2022 12:40

Yeah, but that version of Moore is as mythical as a dragon.

I too would support a 24/25 year old Moore making a return.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Nov 2022 14:08

Snowflake Royal Yeah, but that version of Moore is as mythical as a dragon.

I too would support a 24/25 year old Moore making a return.

That's the big unknown, we don't know what Moore comes back.

Has the underlying injury had a to date, unknown impact on his performances both physically and mentally - has he know something isn't "right" but as nothing had been found played within himself to get through games.

Does he know when back that this is essentially his last chance for his career to continue at the level he wants, so he busts a gut to earn a new deal either here or at another club of a similar level?

Or is it a case that the injury has actually done him in and at best he'll play for another couple of years playing at a lower and lower level, until he retires age 33 after an unsuccessful spell at Hungerford.

Likelihood is somewhere in between but it if he gets back in the team it will be because the management think he is the best available option and the medical staff think he is fit enough then fair enough, happy to let whatever has happened pass if the club do too.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Nov 2022 14:23

Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox Just hope they base anything they do on sensible football reasons rather than what Ian says

I would also like a sea change in the way the club does things.

:)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Nov 2022 15:15

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Yeah I think Sarr is a starter, I think our best back 3 would be Holmes, Hutchinson and Sarr personally speaking. Maybe a touch harsh on TMac, but it's not bad to have those options really. Yiadom and Mbengue have proved capable of covering those positions and Moore, when fit, is a more than decent option on his day.

Tetek and Azeez aren't considered starters, good squad options who should be capable of performing and probably deserve a fair chance in the team if given the chance. Just not sure where Azeez fits into our current team at the moment, as I think he's shown his best quality out wide, but we've rarely played with wingers this season unless we've gone for a 5-4-1, where he may fit in.

McIntyre has struggled. Sarr is definitely ahead. I'd prefer Holmes and Sarr as a pair to anything else. Getting fed up with 3.

I think it's a bit unfair to say he has struggled, I just think he's the one we'd drop over anyone, but would imagine he'd still get a fair bit of game time because we aren't going to keep all of our defenders fit. The 3 at the back I think will be here to stay consistently, to which I think he'd be 4th choice when all are available. He's improving I think, but it's just not as quickly as Holmes and obviously Hutchinson and Sarr are more experienced and probably preferred at this time. I think he's had a decent season all things considered.

With all the options we have at CB now (more injuries permitting), it’s more likely Hutchinson will be used as a midfielder. Loum has been a disappointment after a promising start and Hutchinson provides a bit more steel alongside Hendrick. Fornah is OK but drifts out of games too often

Do hope the return of our CB’s doesn’t facilitate a change to Yiadom’s position. Yiadom and Rahman as WB’s is very uninspiring. Would go with a Yiadom, Holmes and Sarr back three with McIntyre and Mbengue in reserve. Didn’t agree with Moore’s treatment last season (both from the club and fans) but think there’s too much water under the bridge now

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Nov 2022 15:45

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal McIntyre has struggled. Sarr is definitely ahead. I'd prefer Holmes and Sarr as a pair to anything else. Getting fed up with 3.

I think it's a bit unfair to say he has struggled, I just think he's the one we'd drop over anyone, but would imagine he'd still get a fair bit of game time because we aren't going to keep all of our defenders fit. The 3 at the back I think will be here to stay consistently, to which I think he'd be 4th choice when all are available. He's improving I think, but it's just not as quickly as Holmes and obviously Hutchinson and Sarr are more experienced and probably preferred at this time. I think he's had a decent season all things considered.

With all the options we have at CB now (more injuries permitting), it’s more likely Hutchinson will be used as a midfielder. Loum has been a disappointment after a promising start and Hutchinson provides a bit more steel alongside Hendrick. Fornah is OK but drifts out of games too often

Do hope the return of our CB’s doesn’t facilitate a change to Yiadom’s position. Yiadom and Rahman as WB’s is very uninspiring. Would go with a Yiadom, Holmes and Sarr back three with McIntyre and Mbengue in reserve. Didn’t agree with Moore’s treatment last season (both from the club and fans) but think there’s too much water under the bridge now

If that were the case he wouldn't be on the Tenerife trip he would be training with the u23's

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Nov 2022 16:45

It’s good to see Moore on the Tenerife trip.
There is literally NO downside to have a fit Moore reintegrated into the squad and available for selection.
It would be a huge plus if he comes back from the trip having proven that the injuries are behind him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Nov 2022 21:52

Nameless It’s good to see Moore on the Tenerife trip.
There is literally NO downside to have a fit Moore reintegrated into the squad and available for selection.
It would be a huge plus if he comes back from the trip having proven that the injuries are behind him.

Yep. It's a win win. We may lose players in January so a fit Moore may come in handy. I don't think he would let the team down either.

250 posts