What team is most similar to Reading FC

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: What team is most similar to Reading FC

by Mr Angry » 14 Nov 2022 16:53

Stoke City for me; survived in the top flight for a few seasons longer than us but apart from that we are pretty similar in many ways. In fact, it could be said that the City of Stoke is a Northern version of the town of Reading, with an old industrial mono-economic base being replaced in more recent Years by white collar/IT/Distribution jobs.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Nov 2022 19:32

Sutekh Reading City

I've seen them a game play this season and they played far more attractive football, scored more goals and conceded less than we typically do.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 15 Nov 2022 02:18

It is worth remembering if SJM did not come along when he did we would be like Swindon or even Aldershot by now.
At the time the gates we’re around 3,000 the club was losing 5 grand a week and every Reading player was up for sale. He may not have got everything right but we owe that man a great deal.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 15 Nov 2022 08:54

For me, over the past few years, the Manchester United team since Sir Alex left - constant false dawns, some decent players who can't play together, erratic results, dodgy signings and weird away kits.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Nov 2022 09:30

Cripple Creek For me, over the past few years, the Manchester United team since Sir Alex left - constant false dawns, some decent players who can't play together, erratic results, dodgy signings and weird away kits.

Throw in some dodgy/odd managerial appointments

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 15 Nov 2022 09:46

Franchise FC
Cripple Creek For me, over the past few years, the Manchester United team since Sir Alex left - constant false dawns, some decent players who can't play together, erratic results, dodgy signings and weird away kits.

Throw in some dodgy/odd managerial appointments

And the highest paid player having a massive strop and making himself un-pickable.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 15 Nov 2022 22:28

If you look at some of Man United's managerial decisions in the past few years they make Terry Bullivant look like an inspired appointment.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Nov 2022 19:52

Spurs...boring as f*ck to watch and ride their luck way too often.

Cuppliance

by Cuppliance » 05 Dec 2022 12:58

Blackburn Maybe? Both once stable premier league teams. Both have owners with a disconnect to the club and fan base? Both Play in blue and white too.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Dec 2022 12:58

When have we been a stable premier league team?

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 05 Dec 2022 15:04

72 bus
Jackson Corner I wish we were like Bournemouth, Brighton Brentford , when did we put 7 goals past Everton in two games. When did we win 3-1 at Arsenal and when did we go away to best richest club side in the world and win?
I am in total admiration of Brentford there recruiting of players managers coaching staff Scouts over the last ten years is simply outstanding. They scrapped there academy something I have been saying we should have done years ago.
If I had to pick a team I would say Hull played at a crap hole for years moved to a new stadium. Went to the premiership came straight down. But they have at least won two play off finals And an FA cup semi final.
Although never won the 2nd tier title.

2006-2007 Man city 0 - 2 Reading
2006-2007 West Ham 0 - 1 Reading, Reading 6 - 0 West Ham

Also, in 2007/08 we were one of only two teams not to lose at Old Trafford - a year in which they won the league and the Champions League. Obviously that campaign turned into a shit show for us, but that is one, seldom spoken about achievement.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Dec 2022 15:31

URZZZZZZZZ
72 bus
Jackson Corner I wish we were like Bournemouth, Brighton Brentford , when did we put 7 goals past Everton in two games. When did we win 3-1 at Arsenal and when did we go away to best richest club side in the world and win?
I am in total admiration of Brentford there recruiting of players managers coaching staff Scouts over the last ten years is simply outstanding. They scrapped there academy something I have been saying we should have done years ago.
If I had to pick a team I would say Hull played at a crap hole for years moved to a new stadium. Went to the premiership came straight down. But they have at least won two play off finals And an FA cup semi final.
Although never won the 2nd tier title.

Also, in 2007/08 we were one of only two teams not to lose at Old Trafford - a year in which they won the league and the Champions League. Obviously that campaign turned into a shit show for us, but that is one, seldom spoken about achievement.

And achieved with 10 men too after Kitson was harshly sent off with about 20 minutes left.

For the record the teams that day were:

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Brown (Fletcher 77), Ferdinand, Vidic, Silvestre (O'Shea 57), Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick, Evra, Giggs, Rooney (Nani 46). Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, Pique.

Reading: Hahnemann, De la Cruz, Ingimarsson, Duberry, Shorey, Murty, Ki-Hyeon (Oster 57), Harper, Gunnarsson, Hunt (Bikey 87), Doyle (Kitson 72). Subs Not Used: Federici, Cisse.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Dec 2022 16:54

Sutekh
URZZZZZZZZ
72 bus

And achieved with 10 men too after Kitson was harshly sent off with about 20 minutes left.

For the record the teams that day were:

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Brown (Fletcher 77), Ferdinand, Vidic, Silvestre (O'Shea 57), Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick, Evra, Giggs, Rooney (Nani 46). Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, Pique.

Reading: Hahnemann, De la Cruz, Ingimarsson, Duberry, Shorey, Murty, Ki-Hyeon (Oster 57), Harper, Gunnarsson, Hunt (Bikey 87), Doyle (Kitson 72). Subs Not Used: Federici, Cisse.

And we missed a really good chance right at the end as well

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Dec 2022 17:04

Cuppliance

by Cuppliance » 06 Dec 2022 08:27

Hendo When have we been a stable premier league team?

I take it you agree with the rest of it then?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Dec 2022 08:39

Until recently I have always thought of Brentford as being a very similar club to us in terms of fanbase, position in the world of football, status, history etc