Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (h)

by Sutekh » 05 Dec 2022 16:25

When : Saturday 10th December 2022, 2pm
Where : SCL Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Back to normal things at last.

This return to normality for teams after a month away in various mini pre-seasons and training camps sees Reading having to take on a really rather good Coventry City at the SCL.

This one is going to be a very difficult game against what is essentially the form team of the division who have recorded 7 wins and 1 draw from their last 9 games. It gets worse for Reading as Coventry do seem to be rather useful at preventing the kickable plastic round thing from passing between the two sticky up white pole things during a game. Currently ex-Royal Mark Robins’ men are on a run of 0 goals conceded anywhere in 370 minutes of football (just over 4 games) and also a run of 0 goals conceded in 525 minutes of football played away from home (nearly 6 games). No problem for Reading’s standard free flowing and creative attack then.

The threat in this game is basically the Sky Blues’ big Swedish international striker Viktor Gyökeres (think it’s pronounced ju-keer-esh) who has bagged 9 goals in 19 league games (4 in the last 3) and is one of the league’s joint top 8 leading scorers. He thrives on powerful runs into the box and is very capable of turning defenders inside out in the process. Denial of any sort of service to him has to therefore be one of the key targets for Reading during the game. Centre back Jonathan Panzo (on loan from Forest) has been very impressive so far while the Dutch/Brazilian midfielder Gustavo Hamer is another one who also needs to be watched closely.

Thankfully Coventry will at least be forced into making one defensive change for the game as centre back Kyle McFadzean is suspended following his 5th booking of the season v QPR last month. On the injury front Coventry are hoping to see the return of Fankaty Dabo and Martyn Waghorn though Matt Godden is expected to not quite be ready.

Reading will be almost at full strength after the lay off with everyone fit :shock: except Scott Dann, Liam Moore (neither expected to be ready until January) and Naby Sarr may need another week or so.

Incidentally, it looks like a big crowd is expected, just looking online at the ticket site and there appears to only be a few single seats left in each area.

Finally, note the amended kick off time of 2pm to allow supporters travelling distance to be home in good time for the England game.

Referee

Matthew “a total jinx to Reading” Donohue

Previously

14 Sep 22 > Reading 0-3 Sunderland
30 Apr 22 > Reading 0-1 West Bromwich Albion
16 Feb 22 > Peterborough United 0-0 Reading
07 Aug 21 > Stoke City 3-2 Reading
26 Dec 20 > Reading 2-1 Luton Town
12 Feb 20 > Reading 1-2 West Bromwich Albion
11 Dec 19 > Barnsley 1-1 Reading
21 Sep 19 > Reading 1-2 Blackburn Rovers
10 Aug 19 > Hull City 1-0 Reading

Historically

The clubs have shared 26 seasons so far with Reading by far the most dominant for league games held in Reading. Of the 26 games played so far Coventry have won on 4 occasions, all at the Mad Stad (three times by 2 goals to 1 and once by 3 goals to 2 - oddly Reading opened the scoring in every one of those games) while Reading have managed 17 wins.

Overall there have been 56 goals from Reading and 26 from Coventry, the last 7 home games have returned 5 Reading victories, 1 draw and 1 defeat (for 15 against 4).

How to follow the game

1. Get ticket. Go.
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (h)

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Dec 2022 17:05

At least we have a decently fresh squad coming into this game. For once, not sure how much we can look into form here as it's almost like a reset for most sides really and that momentum they've gathered in the last few games leading up to the WC break might not be as influential as it would have been under normal circumstances.

They've got some good players to be fair, obviously got their own issues off the field but they've got a pretty good squad and we will have to have a good game in order for us to beat them. Certainly a winnable game, but if we are off it then we could easily get turned over.

Think this might be the team

Lumley
Holmes Hutch TMac
Yiadom Hendrick Fornah Rahman
Ince
Meite Joao

But obviously very difficult to tell given we (finally) have a few options available.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Dec 2022 19:45

I would like:

.......................Lumley
Yiadom, Holmes, McIntyre, Guiness-Walker
....Hendrick, Hutchinson, Fornah
...............Meite, Joao, Ince

Subs: Bouzanis, Rahman, Clarke, Ejaria, Hoilett, Carroll, Long

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Dec 2022 20:02

Coventry sold out their section of the away end ages ago. The ED is virtually sold out. Plenty of seats still available though in the SJM and West Stand. Hopefully we may end up with 16,000 to 17,000 for this one.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Dec 2022 21:57

It’s one of those games when they’ve done the kids for a quid thing and hence should get a decent crowd in

Looks a bit nippy so not too sure whether they’ll risk Sarr quite yet

Do rate Mark Robins a lot and he’s turned Cov into a good side. Hopefully the off field nonsense of various twats seemingly trying to ruin the football club will have an adverse affect on them. Genuinely hope they can sort that as they’ve had a lot of crap to deal with and it’s not a bad club at all

Not really thought a lot about this game but be interesting to see what team he puts out. My guess is one of the teams (prob us) will look super rusty and get battered like millwall did against Sunderland

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Dec 2022 09:01

Hound It’s one of those games when they’ve done the kids for a quid thing and hence should get a decent crowd in

Looks a bit nippy so not too sure whether they’ll risk Sarr quite yet

Do rate Mark Robins a lot and he’s turned Cov into a good side. Hopefully the off field nonsense of various twats seemingly trying to ruin the football club will have an adverse affect on them. Genuinely hope they can sort that as they’ve had a lot of crap to deal with and it’s not a bad club at all

Not really thought a lot about this game but be interesting to see what team he puts out. My guess is one of the teams (prob us) will look super rusty and get battered like millwall did against Sunderland

Yeah, I hope Coventry sort their issues out, they've nearly had 2 decades worth of crap to deal with and have been down right at the bottom end of the EFL not so long ago as well. Always been a decent club in my eyes, just goes to show how all that promise of moving grounds and moving forwards has caused them nothing but chaos ultimately for a significant amount of time.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 06 Dec 2022 21:56

Snowflake Royal I would like:

Why, he is not interested?

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 07 Dec 2022 15:27

karbota

Would be happy to see Joao move on in this window, he's clearly a class act when bothered!! But that work BOTHERED says it all really!! Would much prefer kelvin E thrown in the mix with Long, Meite and Carroll.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Dec 2022 16:49

Crowbar6753
karbota

Would be happy to see Joao move on in this window, he's clearly a class act when bothered!! But that work BOTHERED says it all really!! Would much prefer kelvin E thrown in the mix with Long, Meite and Carroll.

Agree to at extent about not being bothered about losing Joao, but at the end of the season. Only because I don't think he really suits how we play at the moment. But definitely wouldn't want to lose him mid-season knowing that there are goals there that could have a massive impact on our season.

Also definitely would not want to be replacing one of the Championship's best forwards on his day with a youngster with very limited first team experience. Understand the point about "looking/being interested", but I don't think selling mid-season is the answer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Dec 2022 17:11

As always, play to his strengths, not weaknesses and watch him flourish.

He's isn’t not interested. That's just Dellor and bias poisoning the atmosphere against him because he isn't just a workhorse.

If he moves on in January for a decent wedge fine. But the idea that the not at all prolific and aging Long or Carroll can replace the goals he normally delivers, let alone a 19 year old with very little league experience, is waiting for a very rude awakening imo.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Dec 2022 11:10

Would go with

Lumley

Yiadom
Holmes
McIntyre

Hoilett
Hutchinson
Hendrick
NGW

Ince

Long
Meite

Bouzanis, Mbengue, Rahman, Loum, Fornah/Ejaria, Carroll, Joao

Tough to leave out Mbengue after a good run of form but not sure I’d want both him and Yiadom in the back three and the only alternative is pushing Yiadom forward which I’m not a fan of

Our record when Long starts stands at 5 wins, 0 draws and 1 defeat, think it’s a no brainer for him for him to be starting

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2022 11:40

URZZZZ Would go with

Lumley

Yiadom
Holmes
McIntyre

Hoilett
Hutchinson
Hendrick
NGW

Ince

Long
Meite

Tough to leave out Mbengue after a good run of form but not sure I’d want both him and Yiadom in the back three and the only alternative is pushing Yiadom forward which I’m not a fan of

Our record when Long starts stands at 5 wins, 0 draws and 1 defeat, think it’s a no brainer for him for him to be starting

:shock:

Much like with Ejaria last season, and Holmes the one before, I don't think there's any causality in those win numbers with Long starting and we'll quickly find that out if he gets an extended run in the team unless a lot of other things drastically improve independently.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Dec 2022 13:42

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Would go with

Lumley

Yiadom
Holmes
McIntyre

Hoilett
Hutchinson
Hendrick
NGW

Ince

Long
Meite

Much like with Ejaria last season, and Holmes the one before, I don't think there's any causality in those win numbers with Long starting and we'll quickly find that out if he gets an extended run in the team unless a lot of other things drastically improve independently.

Tbf, Mbengue has had decent games up until the break, was arguably our best player at Hull. You've been crying out for a CB with a bit of pace and Mbengue offers that as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2022 13:44

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Would go with

Lumley

Yiadom
Holmes
McIntyre

Hoilett
Hutchinson
Hendrick
NGW

Ince

Long
Meite

Tbf, Mbengue has had decent games up until the break, was arguably our best player at Hull. You've been crying out for a CB with a bit of pace and Mbengue offers that as well.

He's not a centreback. Tbh, I've no idea what he is, because he's certainly not a fullback or a wing back and he doesn't look like a midfielder.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Dec 2022 13:58

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal :shock:

He's not a centreback. Tbh, I've no idea what he is, because he's certainly not a fullback or a wing back and he doesn't look like a midfielder.

He's not a full back or wing back, but the times I've seen him play CB he's performed reasonably well in most cases overall, probably a game that might be escaping me where he may have been poor (likewise once or twice where he's done really well), but considering our current form isn't that great, it wouldn't come as a surprise. I don't think CB is his natural position, but he's done well there, think midfield would be his best position but isn't getting much opportunity there.

Definitely room to develop and is a young player as well, so with a decent contract under his belt would represent a good opportunity for us to make some money on him if we moved him on in the future, if we even get that far.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Dec 2022 16:09

Ejaria dropped for disciplinary reasons. He really isn't doing himself any favours. I think it might be worth looking to offload him in January to try and recoup some of the hefty transfer fee.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Dec 2022 17:04

Crowbar6753
karbota

Talk to most people in professional football and I suspect that they will tell you that nowadays it's impossible to get to a decent level and stay there if you're not 'bothered'.

IMO it's ridiculously simplistic and incorrect to state Joao isn't bothered. He's not the type of player who will spend the full 90 minutes hurtling around that pitch and few successful teams are made up solely of players who do that. Tom Ince recognises that and said in one TV interview with them both that he's happy to do the running for Joao if he does the scoring.

The claim that he supposedly sulks when things aren't going well (often made by the same people who say he's lazy and not bothered) also seems to contradict the assertion that he's not bothered!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Dec 2022 17:05

Zip Ejaria dropped for disciplinary reasons. He really isn't doing himself any favours. I think it might be worth looking to offload him in January to try and recoup some of the hefty transfer fee.

No specifics but the Chronicle has covered it. Sounds like it’s a case of being allowed to get into bad habits under the previous regime and just not focussing on getting out of them under Ince’s new management.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... ry-issues/

Sounds like PI has a decent handle on it, he certainly has not castigated the player and is supportive in what he says. Perhaps we might start seeing a new Ejaria in the coming weeks.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Dec 2022 17:09

Sutekh
Zip Ejaria dropped for disciplinary reasons. He really isn't doing himself any favours. I think it might be worth looking to offload him in January to try and recoup some of the hefty transfer fee.

No specifics but the Chronicle has covered it. Sounds like it’s a case of being allowed to get into bad habits under the previous regime and just not focussing on getting out of them under Ince’s new management.

Sounds like PI has a decent handle on it, he certainly has not castigated the player and is supportive in what he says. Perhaps we might start seeing a new Ejaria in the coming weeks.

We certainly need to see significant improvement from Ovie. He has underperformed/unfit for far too long

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 08 Dec 2022 17:55

Zip
Sutekh

We certainly need to see significant improvement from Ovie. He has underperformed/unfit for far too long

We just can't keep, keep on waiting he ain't the new Robin Friday who despite similar peccadillos still managed to perform, time to get rid.