BFTG QPR

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG QPR

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Jan 2023 10:59

From Despair To Where? Given his record at other clubs, I've always seen Ince as a tug boat captain of manager. Great at manoeuvring clubs out of Shit Creek but no so great once they hit the open waters.

In that respect, I think he's doing a perfectly good job in our current circumstances but have always doubted whether he's the man to take the club forward.

In fairness, if we achieve a comfortable mid table finish this season then he will have exceeded expecation.

For sure. Love Ince but wouldn't be upset if we change manager in the summer. He'll always have my respect if we did that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2023 10:59

Lumley has, in all fairness to him, started pulling off some really top draw saves recently. Which was a little lacking previously. He had the odd kicking wobble yesterday, but that's manageable.

I'm not seeing the same issues with Hoilett as others, I think he's been fine. And I don't really want Yiadom at RWB, he's just not great at getting ball in the box. I like him at RCB, adds some pace and versatility, we conceded twice once he moved up and out.

I'd like to see Abrefa get some more action at RWB to keep Hoilett fresh.

As with everyone else, I don't rate Rahman. He has obvious quality, but he's just so unreliable. And he doesn't really create many goals, despite often being in the areas you'd expect him to be doing so. Much prefer the more raw NGW. I think his pace and drive scares defenders more.

This Reading side is at it's best when it's flying forward running at people... Ince, NGW, Hoilett, Meite, Long, Yiadom can all do that to an extent...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2023 11:01

Royal_jimmy
From Despair To Where? Given his record at other clubs, I've always seen Ince as a tug boat captain of manager. Great at manoeuvring clubs out of Shit Creek but no so great once they hit the open waters.

In that respect, I think he's doing a perfectly good job in our current circumstances but have always doubted whether he's the man to take the club forward.

In fairness, if we achieve a comfortable mid table finish this season then he will have exceeded expecation.

For sure. Love Ince but wouldn't be upset if we change manager in the summer. He'll always have my respect if we did that.

I think he's probably good for another season. Agree he isn't likely to get us to the top, but he is clearly building forward at the moment and worth seeing what he does with a bit less restriction.

He's definitely exceeding expectations.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Jan 2023 11:29

Royal_jimmy Paul Ince's negativity killed our chances of winning having been 2-0 up. Shocking substitutions with half an hour to go.

Agreed. They also pretty much resulted in injuries to Carroll and Long, which would not have occurred had Ince been more positive and freshened up our strike force on the hour mark, rather than attempting to shore up the defence and see the game out.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Jan 2023 11:37

Snowflake Royal Good first half, poor second half. Way too many CBs crowbarred into the side for no reason. Completely failed to try to play second half. First set of subs poor, second set enforced.

Never having Long deserving a penalty, he threw himself at the ground and his leg out to the back and side to make contact with the defender. He was going nowhere. And the ref completely saw through it... Clearly saw the whole thing and categorically waved no pen. I thought he had an excellent game.

I think Long was quite entitled to and indeed expected to cut across the defender given the position he had got himself in, which was slightly ahead of the defender. In that situation the defender has to exercise caution or risk conceding a foul. Not only did he have a hand across Long trying to hold him back but he also took him out with his body.

If, as some argue (and I can see why they might), Long deliberately threw himself at the ground in an attempt to win a penalty, rather than just cut across the defender en route to goal (as I see it), then surely the ref should've booked him for simulation.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 Jan 2023 11:41

People really calling for Inces head? The guys a miracle worker. Embarrassing.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 15 Jan 2023 11:49

grey_squirrel Lest not forget this is a patch and mend squad in a patch and mend season. Commonality all season has been one player who (over) performs one game is likely to be shit the next.
The mis-placed euphoria on here elegising about a win and an Ince out when we get beat (or throw away a win) is so naive.
It’s Russian Roulette this year. I hope we grind out enough points and that is all, however it happens, obviously that counts, but I have my doubts and a sinking feeling, especially given the unprecedented closeness of the league.

Its very close from us upwards to about 7th but the bottom is starting to take shape with a few gaps emerging.

We'd have to drop off a cliff Pauno style to go down from here

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Jan 2023 12:17

It's disappointing after being 2-0 up and the second half performance was poor, but it's another point nonetheless. We can't exactly say it wasn't coming though, this is how we play and, whilst I wouldn't say we were "lucky" to beat either Swansea or Coventry, certainly on another day those results could have different.

I kind of see where Ince is coming from regarding the clubs' mentality to drop off, but then again, is it just the club or is just the mentality of teams in general? Understand his point, continue with what you're doing but eventually there would have come a point where we'd drop off, relinquish the ball and counter attacked as they took more risks. Yes, we were poor in the second half, but I don't think it's just our clubs' mentality, I think a lot of teams would drop off to protect a 2 goal lead at home.

His subs have been questioned, which I can understand. I've never been comfortable bringing a CB on in a game tactically when holding onto a lead. A like-for-like change due to an injury, then fair enough, but I always think it's tough to come on in a game at CB in most situations, let alone when you're under pressure because you very quickly have to get up with the speed of the game and I think, psychologically at least, it gives the opposition a boost as well because it's a defensive change.

We need to get Sarr out of the team now as well, he's costing us a goal every game. Floated crosses into the box he should be eating up at every opportunity, but he's now been beaten and out-jumped at the far post by Sargent at Norwich, Piroe by Swansea and didn't clear his lines yesterday at the far post which lead to the goal. McIntyre is decent enough by all accounts and I trust him over Sarr everyday at the moment.

Tough pill to swallow, but it happens and we just have to use it as a learning curve and move on. Don't really care about the performance against Stoke, we can have our worst performance of the season, providing we just take the points.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 15 Jan 2023 12:28

Notts Royal
grey_squirrel Lest not forget this is a patch and mend squad in a patch and mend season. Commonality all season has been one player who (over) performs one game is likely to be shit the next.
The mis-placed euphoria on here elegising about a win and an Ince out when we get beat (or throw away a win) is so naive.
It’s Russian Roulette this year. I hope we grind out enough points and that is all, however it happens, obviously that counts, but I have my doubts and a sinking feeling, especially given the unprecedented closeness of the league.

This is spot on. We have players at the back end of their careers so inconsistency is going to be rife.

What I don’t understand however is 2 things:
1) ince continually playing players out of position and
2) a formation that doesn’t suit the squad of players. We have 1 player suited to playing wing-back (NGW) in the whole squad…and he’s mostly left on the bench. Sack off the 3 at the back, moved to 4-2-3-1 so we can utilise Meite, Ince & Azeez as inside forwards. And lo and behold, we might get something out of Joao. If not, we’ll have players playing more closely alongside Carroll or Long

I'd argue that Yiadom is also a perfect ring back. NGW and Yaidom would make a great wing back pair

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2023 12:33

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal Good first half, poor second half. Way too many CBs crowbarred into the side for no reason. Completely failed to try to play second half. First set of subs poor, second set enforced.

Never having Long deserving a penalty, he threw himself at the ground and his leg out to the back and side to make contact with the defender. He was going nowhere. And the ref completely saw through it... Clearly saw the whole thing and categorically waved no pen. I thought he had an excellent game.

I think Long was quite entitled to and indeed expected to cut across the defender given the position he had got himself in, which was slightly ahead of the defender. In that situation the defender has to exercise caution or risk conceding a foul. Not only did he have a hand across Long trying to hold him back but he also took him out with his body.

If, as some argue (and I can see why they might), Long deliberately threw himself at the ground in an attempt to win a penalty, rather than just cut across the defender en route to goal (as I see it), then surely the ref should've booked him for simulation.

I certainly thought he was lucky not to get booked.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Jan 2023 12:36

It's tough though, you're taught as a player in that situation, you don't win the penalty if you don't go down. Whether he is looking for it, whether he has exaggerated it, I don't know, but there is contact there so he has every right to stay down. If he stayed on his feet, I'm sure we'd all be saying that he should have gone down, was too honest and would have never had won a penalty.

I can see why Ince would be frustrated though, it looks like a penalty to me.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2023 12:38

YorkshireRoyal99 It's tough though, you're taught as a player in that situation, you don't win the penalty if you don't go down. Whether he is looking for it, whether he has exaggerated it, I don't know, but there is contact there so he has every right to stay down. If he stayed on his feet, I'm sure we'd all be saying that he should have gone down, was too honest and would have never had won a penalty.

To be fair, I absolutely detest this view, which is just a sign that cheating has become acceptable, imo.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Jan 2023 12:46

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 It's tough though, you're taught as a player in that situation, you don't win the penalty if you don't go down. Whether he is looking for it, whether he has exaggerated it, I don't know, but there is contact there so he has every right to stay down. If he stayed on his feet, I'm sure we'd all be saying that he should have gone down, was too honest and would have never had won a penalty.

To be fair, I absolutely detest this view, which is just a sign that cheating has become acceptable, imo.

Which is fair enough and completely understandable, but it's part of the game. The laws are what they are and they can be manipulated because they are subjective. It's nothing new, players always give fouls away in every game, which is illegal and therefore a form of cheating. Some players do it accidentally, others will do it deliberately and it's the same for both sides. It's just how he game is played and there is no way of ever knowing if Long did throw himself to the floor or whether the contact was sufficient to where he couldn't stay on his feet, I think it's the latter personally.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Jan 2023 14:08

Jagermesiter1871 People really calling for Inces head? The guys a miracle worker. Embarrassing.

I agree

Avoiding the drop was all I was concerned with at the start of then season
If nothing else he’s given us some (long overdue) backbone

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Jan 2023 14:20

Jagermesiter1871 People really calling for Inces head? The guys a miracle worker. Embarrassing.

Err no

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 15 Jan 2023 15:29

Royal_jimmy Paul Ince's negativity killed our chances of winning having been 2-0 up. Shocking substitutions with half an hour to go.

Correct meanwhile Parky wins again, it's just a question of time Mr Zippy.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 15 Jan 2023 15:32

Franchise FC

I agree

Avoiding the drop was all I was concerned with at the start of then season
If nothing else he’s given us some (long overdue) backbone

Correct but the next stage has to be better, has to be Parky.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 15 Jan 2023 15:39

Snowflake Royal

Just another foreign corruption to the game, but how come you never complained about Rakkles throwing himself to the floor?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Jan 2023 16:10

karbota
Snowflake Royal

Just another foreign corruption to the game, but how come you never complained about Rakkles throwing himself to the floor?

Not sure where the idea it’s foreign comes from, Francis Lee was doing it back in the 70’s and Trevor Senior wasn’t scared of hitting the deck….

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Jan 2023 16:12

Royal_jimmy

Given we finish around where we are now, I'd be pretty disappointed if we got rid of Ince at the end of the season. To be honest, if we finished 21st on GD, I'd be satisfied enough to give him time over the summer and the following season to try and build something.

There was/is only one task for us this season and that's to stay in the division with the extremely limited resource we have. So far, we've far exceeded that. There have been question marks this season which related back to Ince's previous records (around the time before the World Cup break where our record wasn't great with 1 win in 9) and he's managed to overcome them with some decent results against the likes of Hull, Coventry etc where we managed 3 wins in 4.

This for me is just another spell where we've had a few difficult fixtures, haven't had a league win for a few games and things always begin to get a bit edgy because I think we, as fans, understand that it "could" go terribly wrong. But even those times where doubts have set in, the team has managed to overcome it so far so I'd back him to do the same again now.