BFTG QPR

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG QPR

by Sutekh » 14 Jan 2023 17:41

Good first half, ****** atrocious second half - not helped by a poor referee.

Hendrick motm, still cannot fathom why on earth Rahman gets ahead of NGW on current form. Hoilett is not a right wing back.

Long was really effective and should have won a penalty. Carroll and Ince did well too. Point a fair result now need to capitalise at Stoke (and hope Long, Carroll and Hutchinson aren’t injuries to worry about).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG QPR

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2023 18:34

Good first half, poor second half. Way too many CBs crowbarred into the side for no reason. Completely failed to try to play second half. First set of subs poor, second set enforced.

Never having Long deserving a penalty, he threw himself at the ground and his leg out to the back and side to make contact with the defender. He was going nowhere. And the ref completely saw through it... Clearly saw the whole thing and categorically waved no pen. I thought he had an excellent game.

Don't understand how Rahman plays all the time. Don't think Sarr is worth his place.

I'd probably go:
Hoilett, Yiadom, McIntyre, Holmes, NGW

McIntyre in the middle because he struggles a bit covering his wing back and Holmes is much better at that. It was very noticeable that the second Yiadom left the centre of defence we started struggling really badly with just no mobility or pace there. And McIntyre and Hendrick couldn't screen them well.

If Hutchinson isn't going to get fit and with Fornah out, I think we need more midfield cover. Today we ended up with just 1 midfielder in midfield.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 14 Jan 2023 18:39

Felt like we threw this one away.

We're a good side. We're inconsistent. But we're going to be super safe this season!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Jan 2023 19:01

It did feel like a loss after being 2-0 up, the Long pen looked a cert from where I was but the subs killed it. It said we'd try to sit on the lead and went to 5-3-2, they seemed lucky with their goals but you could see them coming.

I think if we'd have carried on attacking them we'd have won 3-0

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Jan 2023 19:18

Paul Ince's negativity killed our chances of winning having been 2-0 up. Shocking substitutions with half an hour to go.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 14 Jan 2023 19:29

Baba and Sarr pretty useless. Sarr seems to have a mistake every time he tries to control the ball. Happy with a point as QPR absolutely dominated second half. Looked dangerous when we got in and around their box, but didn’t do it often enough.
Last edited by Bristol Paul on 14 Jan 2023 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 14 Jan 2023 19:48

I like P.Ince as a man manager, motivator and everything he has helped build behind the scenes, however, his tactical awareness and persistence with "Square pegs in round holes" and this horrible style on boring football is slowly grinding me down!!

We have the majority of the squad fit again, so why is Hoilett playing WB?, why is Yids playing CB? why are we sticking to this turgid formation?
Why are we so bad at passing and ball retention? our defense gave the ball away so many times today it was horrible, hence QPR just kept coming back at us.
Lucky point today from a position where we should have been 3 up....

Lumley - 7 Kept us in it, great point blank reaction save on there 2 second goal.
Hoilett - 4 Not a WB, Should have been Abrefa or Yids.
Yids - 6 Not a CB.
Holmes - 7 Our best CB again, solid as ever.
Sarr - 4 Did we really sign this guy on a 4yr contract :shock: Poor in the air and abysmal passing.
Babba - 4 Please just get rid, NGW has so much more potential, yes he's a bit raw but offers so much more.
Hutchinson - 4 Was looking shaky even before he went off, with his injury record that could be him done for the season.
Loum - 6 Not as good as the past few games, passing was iffy and hold up play poor.
Hendrick - 8 Two goals, what more can you ask from a midfielder.
Ince - 7 A typical Tom Ince game, he does what it says on the tin.
Carroll - 6 Tried his best to hold up play and create for others, just did really come off today. Hopefully just a sprain or knock.
SUBS
McIntyre - 5 I didn't really notice him funny enough, however, we did concede two after he came on.
Dann - 4 Should have been put out to pasture last year, has the turning circle of the "Titanic".
Long - 6 Typical Long, i've watched the penalty twice now and still unsure, seen them given though.
Joao - 6 Did ok, even helped back in defense....he must be off then.
Meite - 6 I just love this guy, he gives so much...why he's not played as an inside forward is criminal.

Mbengue - The second half was calling out for this guy in defense to get stuck in and give us some pace back there...ah well maybe next week.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Jan 2023 20:10

Snowflake Royal Good first half, poor second half. Way too many CBs crowbarred into the side for no reason. Completely failed to try to play second half. First set of subs poor, second set enforced.

Never having Long deserving a penalty, he threw himself at the ground and his leg out to the back and side to make contact with the defender. He was going nowhere. And the ref completely saw through it... Clearly saw the whole thing and categorically waved no pen. I thought he had an excellent game.

Don't understand how Rahman plays all the time. Don't think Sarr is worth his place.

I'd probably go:
Hoilett, Yiadom, McIntyre, Holmes, NGW

McIntyre in the middle because he struggles a bit covering his wing back and Holmes is much better at that. It was very noticeable that the second Yiadom left the centre of defence we started struggling really badly with just no mobility or pace there. And McIntyre and Hendrick couldn't screen them well.

If Hutchinson isn't going to get fit and with Fornah out, I think we need more midfield cover. Today we ended up with just 1 midfielder in midfield.

Did I hear right recently? Rahman is the highest paid player in the Championship on 80k a week paid for by Chelsea?
What a gravy train of a club they are. How do they get through FFP?

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 14 Jan 2023 20:20

Lest not forget this is a patch and mend squad in a patch and mend season. Commonality all season has been one player who (over) performs one game is likely to be shit the next.
The mis-placed euphoria on here elegising about a win and an Ince out when we get beat (or throw away a win) is so naive.
It’s Russian Roulette this year. I hope we grind out enough points and that is all, however it happens, obviously that counts, but I have my doubts and a sinking feeling, especially given the unprecedented closeness of the league.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Jan 2023 21:49

Royal_jimmy Paul Ince's negativity killed our chances of winning having been 2-0 up. Shocking substitutions with half an hour to go.

And PI was not happy with the team’s performance in either half!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jan 2023 22:27

Fair result. Well done fake hoops.

How hard is it to hold onto a bloody 2-0 scoreline ffs.

And Sarr is surely fit now, no excuses.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Jan 2023 23:37

Crowbar6753 I like P.Ince as a man manager, motivator and everything he has helped build behind the scenes, however, his tactical awareness and persistence with "Square pegs in round holes" and this horrible style on boring football is slowly grinding me down!!

We have the majority of the squad fit again, so why is Hoilett playing WB?, why is Yids playing CB? why are we sticking to this turgid formation?
Why are we so bad at passing and ball retention? our defense gave the ball away so many times today it was horrible, hence QPR just kept coming back at us.
Lucky point today from a position where we should have been 3 up....

Lumley - 7 Kept us in it, great point blank reaction save on there 2 second goal.
Hoilett - 4 Not a WB, Should have been Abrefa or Yids.
Yids - 6 Not a CB.
Holmes - 7 Our best CB again, solid as ever.
Sarr - 4 Did we really sign this guy on a 4yr contract :shock: Poor in the air and abysmal passing.
Babba - 4 Please just get rid, NGW has so much more potential, yes he's a bit raw but offers so much more.
Hutchinson - 4 Was looking shaky even before he went off, with his injury record that could be him done for the season.
Loum - 6 Not as good as the past few games, passing was iffy and hold up play poor.
Hendrick - 8 Two goals, what more can you ask from a midfielder.
Ince - 7 A typical Tom Ince game, he does what it says on the tin.
Carroll - 6 Tried his best to hold up play and create for others, just did really come off today. Hopefully just a sprain or knock.
SUBS
McIntyre - 5 I didn't really notice him funny enough, however, we did concede two after he came on.
Dann - 4 Should have been put out to pasture last year, has the turning circle of the "Titanic".
Long - 6 Typical Long, i've watched the penalty twice now and still unsure, seen them given though.
Joao - 6 Did ok, even helped back in defense....he must be off then.
Meite - 6 I just love this guy, he gives so much...why he's not played as an inside forward is criminal.

Mbengue - The second half was calling out for this guy in defense to get stuck in and give us some pace back there...ah well maybe next week.

I totally agree on all of that including player ratings. Tom Ince was our biggest threat, Sarr, Loum, Hoilett and Rahman were poor. NGW should be our starting left back next year, I'd be giving him an improved deal.

Ince has often played McIntyre who's not a left back there and Hoilett who's a winger at right back it's not their games. I'd go back to a 4-2-3-1 or a 5-3-2 against Watford at home.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Jan 2023 23:37

Sutekh
Royal_jimmy Paul Ince's negativity killed our chances of winning having been 2-0 up. Shocking substitutions with half an hour to go.

And wouldn't take responsibility for that

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Jan 2023 23:43

This season has surpassed most of our expectations so bad results are fine sometimes. In sport you can't play well all the time, we were not at our best in either half but the manager can make team changes which shift the momentum of the game in the favour of their team.

I'm not Ince out as he's doing better than my expectations and I like the guy, but unless he learns a lot from days like today and takes responsibility then I don't see him as a long term manager. He certainly won't get his 3 year project with us. I'd like him to as he's likeable but I felt concerned he blamed the players for today but not himself and Alex Rae for dodgy subs. As a leader you always have to hold your hands up if you make a bad decision. Maybe he will admit in private that he screwed up.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 15 Jan 2023 08:10

grey_squirrel Lest not forget this is a patch and mend squad in a patch and mend season. Commonality all season has been one player who (over) performs one game is likely to be shit the next.
The mis-placed euphoria on here elegising about a win and an Ince out when we get beat (or throw away a win) is so naive.
It’s Russian Roulette this year. I hope we grind out enough points and that is all, however it happens, obviously that counts, but I have my doubts and a sinking feeling, especially given the unprecedented closeness of the league.

This is spot on. We have players at the back end of their careers so inconsistency is going to be rife.

What I don’t understand however is 2 things:
1) ince continually playing players out of position and
2) a formation that doesn’t suit the squad of players. We have 1 player suited to playing wing-back (NGW) in the whole squad…and he’s mostly left on the bench. Sack off the 3 at the back, moved to 4-2-3-1 so we can utilise Meite, Ince & Azeez as inside forwards. And lo and behold, we might get something out of Joao. If not, we’ll have players playing more closely alongside Carroll or Long

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2023 08:31

2nd half was very poor and changes didn't help, though I kind of get the rationale based on Ince's interview but didn't agree with them. Should have had NGW or Azeez on the bench to go wide.

However, credit needs to be given to the first half switch when Hutchinson had to go off. Would have been easier to just bring on Dann or McIntyre then but bringing Long on changed the dynamic and we were excellent from then on. Just made the 2nd half collapse more frustrating.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Jan 2023 10:04

Royal_jimmy
Sutekh

And wouldn't take responsibility for that

That’s what I thought, bit odd to say that and make a point about dropping deeper all the time, yet he’s the one who brought on two central defenders for Hoilett (playing wing back) and Loum (playing midfield) in what I think was an utterly pointless change (though both Hoilett and Loum were pretty poor). What Reading needed was someone to push up and give Rangers something more to worry about.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Jan 2023 10:10

Millsy Fair result. Well done fake hoops.

How hard is it to hold onto a bloody 2-0 scoreline ffs.

And Sarr is surely fit now, no excuses.

Yes, not impressed with what I’ve seen of Sarr so far, great debut then injured and since then he seems to spend much of the games he has played giving the ball away in dangerous positions. But then as we know this squad is not perfect by a long way and you have to get by with what’s available and Sarr is a massive unit posing great threat at set pieces (just a shame Reading’s basic creativity is so poor). To be honest though recruitment has been extremely good with next to no resource. Hope that can continue when Reading are able to trade properly again in July.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Jan 2023 10:11

Given his record at other clubs, I've always seen Ince as a tug boat captain of manager. Great at manoeuvring clubs out of Shit Creek but no so great once they hit the open waters.

In that respect, I think he's doing a perfectly good job in our current circumstances but have always doubted whether he's the man to take the club forward.

In fairness, if we achieve a comfortable mid table finish this season then he will have exceeded expecation.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 15 Jan 2023 10:14

Not getting the criticism of Loum. Went about his game well and few if any of the usual concentration lapses.