174 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: MATCHWATCH : Watford (h)

by RoyalBlue » 05 Feb 2023 12:43

tmesis
AthleticoSpizz They’re only human, even the Watford fans aren’t moaning too much about their third goal that (obviously) wasn’t….if the Premier can do VAR and disallow goals minutes after everybody has celebrated the event…the lesser league officials should be able to re-assess things occasionally too…….

There were a few on the bus back to the park & ride who were livid, going on about how it was a disgrace and they'd been robbed etc.

The only thing that was wrong was the linesman needing our keeper to complain before telling the ref it was offside.

I don't think he did need Lumley to complain. I think he was already starting to discuss with the ref as Lumley ran over. It was a great example of match day officials working well together to help reach the right decision. If only more of them would work that way.

To be fair to Bilic I think he ended up admitting that it would be offside regardless of whether the player got the final touch on the ball - he ran right across Lumley's line of sight as the shot came in and replays show he did get a touch on the ball too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Feb 2023 13:00

RoyalBlue
Hound Dismal first half, excellent and entertaining second half

Looked a lot better when Fornah and Azeez came on. Azeez particularly looks good and could do that LWB spot

Everyone crap first half but definitely improved as the game went on and was an absolute sitter missed at the end there (Meite?)

Looking at the replays I think he ended up snatching at his shot because he sensed the defender flying in with a last ditch challenge. Defender actually came very close to getting a touch on the ball too so may have actually blocked a lower shot.

That was my initial reaction... thought it did get deflection prior to replay, but he didn't have much time.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Feb 2023 16:16

Thought we were pretty poor overall in the first half but did well in the second and probably deservedly got a point, even if we did ride our luck on one or two occasions. But it's a good point to take from 2-0 down against a promotion chasing side and hopefully we can take that momentum into next week.

A couple of really soft goals to concede though which was the disappointing thing to see.

But it's another point closer to where we want to be, glad to see Mbengue back in the side thought he had a good game in the main and Hendrick's volley was superb and it was a good performance overall. Definitely something to build on against Sunderland.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Feb 2023 08:41

Very shakey first half, no one played well. Loum was stand out shocker for me. Watford showed there quality but thankfully a lot didn't quite click for them either. 2nd half we had a bit of purpose better passing - kept the ball more. After the subs we grew into the game. I think a draw was a fair result - could have snatched it if Meite composed himself a bit.
Was encouraged to see Yids at RWB but Hiolet is wasted at LWB but there is no space for him in the starting 11 atm and hopefully Ince realises that.
Was fairly encouraged with Casadei even though he wasn't hugely involved he did get stuck in

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Feb 2023 13:40

Bilic saying Holmes should have been carded and therefore sent off for starting the “handbags” in the latter stages though he accepts it was so late in the game it was unlikely to have changed the outcome.

Seems strange to me that someone who took exception to Pedro’s naughtiness should have avoided the ref’s attention though so the ref obviously didn’t see it that way. However this is the sort of reason I am unconvinced by Holmes. Having watched so many class central defenders at Reading down the years he doesn’t grab me as being quite that sort of standard (at least yet). Generally solid but a bit too inconsistent and prone to “unnecessaryness”.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Feb 2023 13:44

Sutekh Bilic saying Holmes should have been carded and therefore sent off for starting the “handbags” in the latter stages though he accepts it was so late in the game it was unlikely to have changed the outcome.

Seems strange to me that someone who took exception to Pedro’s naughtiness should have avoided the ref’s attention though so the ref obviously didn’t see it that way. However this is the sort of reason I am unconvinced by Holmes. Having watched so many class central defenders at Reading down the years he doesn’t grab me as being quite that sort of standard (at least yet). Generally solid but a bit too inconsistent and prone to “unnecessaryness”.

He was a very lucky boy.

I think Chowdhury having to be repeatedly restrained for far longer after probably distracted the ref / made Holmes look less bad. Maybe he gave him some leeway seeing as it had been a nasty foul on Ince.

Holmes switches off a little too much still, and is a bit handsy in the box, but he's developing really well. Should be a top Championship defender in his prime... maybe lower PL. Still only 22. :shock:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Feb 2023 14:18

Do forget sometimes how young both Holmes and TMc are still. Still 4 or 5 years away from their "prime".

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 06 Feb 2023 14:32

Sutekh Bilic saying Holmes should have been carded and therefore sent off for starting the “handbags” in the latter stages though he accepts it was so late in the game it was unlikely to have changed the outcome.

If we're sending people off then Choudhury was very lucky to still be on the pitch at full time given he was angrily ranting at the ref after the penalty. That should have been his first yellow, and his eventual booking near the end should have been his second.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 07 Feb 2023 09:49, edited 2 times in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Feb 2023 15:22

Orion1871

If we're sending people off then Choudhury was very lucky to still be on the pitch given he was angrily ranting at the ref after the penalty. That should have been his first yellow, and his eventual booking at the end should have been his second.

Agreed. The behaviour of him and some of the other Watford players following the award of the penalty was very poor and, IMO, took gamesmanship beyond the limit. IIRC three of them were continually hustling Ince as he stood over the ball waiting to take the kick. The ref should have cut that out a lot earlier and carded them if they persisted. Full credit to Ince for maintaining his composure and not letting their antics get into his head.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Feb 2023 11:31

Pepe the Horseman
Brogue
Pepe the Horseman Thoughts with anyone sitting near PtR after that run from Azeez.

Lol, was actually gonna post that x

Only just seen this - lol. He is not quite at my Antonio levels but pleased others are seeing what i am seeing. Just hope he starts tonight. Will let you know when i have my next player on the PTR radar.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 17 Feb 2023 17:35

paultheroyal
Pepe the Horseman
Brogue

Lol, was actually gonna post that x

Only just seen this - lol. He is not quite at my Antonio levels but pleased others are seeing what i am seeing. Just hope he starts tonight. Will let you know when i have my next player on the PTR radar.

Yeah, Femi can actually control the ball and has some technical ability whereas Antonio had none.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2023 18:02

:lol:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Feb 2023 23:02

Orion1871
paultheroyal
Pepe the Horseman Lol, was actually gonna post that x

Yeah, Femi can actually control the ball and has some technical ability whereas Antonio had none.

Will stick to my vision thanks in spotting a player if that’s your judgement.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 17 Feb 2023 23:17

paultheroyal
Orion1871
paultheroyal

Will stick to my vision thanks in spotting a player if that’s your judgement.

That was what he was at the time. He has had a good career for someone who started with such a limited base.

174 posts