Another 6 point, points deduction incoming

308 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Another 6 point, points deduction incoming

by paultheroyal » 08 Mar 2023 10:13

skipper Now now you two, play nicely.

I don't think we're going to get the deduction. They don't tend to hand them out so easily, and we've been working with them through this whole process. It's not like we've been keeping secrets or anything.

We have already been punished once, deservedly so, but there are other teams in a worse position than us. I just can't see them doing that to Reading, without doing it to a bunch of other clubs.

You often talk sense Skipper - lets hope you are right again.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Mar 2023 10:13

Wycombe Royal I think the worst situation that could happen is that we are given a points deduction and have other restrictions extended - the business plan and transfer embargo....

What is the longest time a club has been under a transfer embargo?

Think Bolton had 2 years, Derby may also have a 2 year embargo on paying fees as part of the deal to come out of admin.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2023 12:10

Millsy Can someoen explain what is actually happening please. Are we gettign this deduction or not? If so will it be applied this season or next?

My paranoia is the EFL waiting to see whether it will send us down this season or not. If not, they'll apply it next season. I'd rather just know what it is and have it applied straight away then what will be will be.

We don't know until the FL make an announcement, and even then we'll probably only have partial info.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Mar 2023 14:05

We've already been embargoed for 2 years and soft embargoed for another 2

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Mar 2023 14:41

So why do the FL have to drag this out for so long, why can’t they just keep quiet about things and release one statement together with applying any punishment so every one knows where they are.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Mar 2023 14:43

Sutekh So why do the FL have to drag this out for so long, why can’t they just keep quiet about things and release one statement together with the punishment so every one knows where they are.

They would have done if a journo didn't report on the potential deduction. Then they had to release a statement saying they were checking for compliance. The RFC had to release their own statement saying they were aware the FL is checking for compliance.

But without that first leak then it'd all be quiet.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2023 18:19

Sutekh So why do the FL have to drag this out for so long, why can’t they just keep quiet about things and release one statement together with applying any punishment so every one knows where they are.

They only released a statement at all because the papers published details of their investigation.

I'm sure what you're asking is what they wanted to do.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Mar 2023 18:35

Millsy Can someoen explain what is actually happening please. Are we gettign this deduction or not? If so will it be applied this season or next?

My paranoia is the EFL waiting to see whether it will send us down this season or not. If not, they'll apply it next season. I'd rather just know what it is and have it applied straight away then what will be will be.

My understanding is that Bowen is saying that the points deduction is a done thing and that it will be announced this week. From 'sources'.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 08 Mar 2023 19:34

paultheroyal
skipper Now now you two, play nicely.

I don't think we're going to get the deduction. They don't tend to hand them out so easily, and we've been working with them through this whole process. It's not like we've been keeping secrets or anything.

We have already been punished once, deservedly so, but there are other teams in a worse position than us. I just can't see them doing that to Reading, without doing it to a bunch of other clubs.

You often talk sense Skipper - lets hope you are right again.

Always a pleasure, never a chore. Let's hope I'm right!!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 08 Mar 2023 19:51

Elm Park Kid

My understanding is that Bowen is saying that the points deduction is a done thing and that it will be announced this week. From 'sources'.

I've not seen Bowen quoted anywhere, even on Twitter - what source is this?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 09 Mar 2023 10:05

Mid Sussex Royal
Elm Park Kid

I've not seen Bowen quoted anywhere, even on Twitter - what source is this?

My own.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 09 Mar 2023 10:41

its definitely happening.
accept that
move on

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 09 Mar 2023 10:58

really will pissmeoff if you are right.

trouble is, it's immutable, Brendy is always right.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Mar 2023 14:13

And once the FL confirm the deduction you may see Peterborough United sue Reading, presumably for loss of earnings (though IMO they should really sue the FL seeing it was their decision to only deduct 6 points last season).

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... es-4056219

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Mar 2023 14:22

LUX really will pissmeoff if you are right.

trouble is, it's immutable, Brendy is always right.

Debateable.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Mar 2023 14:24

Sutekh And once the FL confirm the deduction you may see Peterborough United sue Reading, presumably for loss of earnings (though IMO they should really sue the FL seeing it was their decision to only deduct 6 points last season).

Good luck with that Posh.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Mar 2023 15:17

Sutekh And once the FL confirm the deduction you may see Peterborough United sue Reading, presumably for loss of earnings (though IMO they should really sue the FL seeing it was their decision to only deduct 6 points last season).

Their argument would be that we broke the rules so we should be the ones paying for the loss of earnings? Especially if the EFL are only acting once our accounts have been sent to them (even though it doesn't make sense why they didn't impose a deduction as and when we broke the rules because you'd imagine they'd have been keeping extra tabs on our finances).

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 09 Mar 2023 15:31

YorkshireRoyal99

Their argument would be that we broke the rules so we should be the ones paying for the loss of earnings? Especially if the EFL are only acting once our accounts have been sent to them (even though it doesn't make sense why they didn't impose a deduction as and when we broke the rules because you'd imagine they'd have been keeping extra tabs on our finances).

Different situation to Derby though where they didn't co-operate with the EFL and it delayed the punishment, we have been (i assume) up front with them.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 Mar 2023 16:29

Mid Sussex Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Different situation to Derby though where they didn't co-operate with the EFL and it delayed the punishment, we have been (i assume) up front with them.

Local press report -

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... egal-case/

the waters muddy slightly as the Posh were relegated last season, but would have survived had the Royals been deducted 12 points immediately.

Would Peterborough have definitely survived and Reading definitely been relegated last season even after an extra 6 point deduction? Surely we were on the beach once we knew we were safe and there would only have been a couple of point difference between the two teams based on the final table so relatively easy to recoup? Not sure of the legal side of hypothetical points totals...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Mar 2023 17:01

YorkshireRoyal99

The way I see it, if it's the 6 suspended points being docked then they've had a year to challenge it and they should have challenged it at the time.

If its a new 6pt deduction, it's got fcuk all to do with them as they're in a different league.

308 posts