Do you want Ince as our manager next season.

165 posts

Do you want ince to continue as manager next season?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 93
The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Do you want Ince as our manager next season.

by The Royal Forester » 15 Mar 2023 14:21

Brogue Now up to 75% of fans not wanting him to stay on. Oof. Not looking good for him is it.

Only 79 fans have bothered to vote. You can hardly say it is 75% of Royals fans when only 59 have said they want Ince gone, .

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 Mar 2023 14:25

He did a decent job of galvanising the squad when he came in but we seem to have one way of playing and its not great since teams worked us out in the autumn. A bit like a less in your face Martin Allen. No sign of any great tactical masterplan coming from Ince or his coaching staff so fine with them being replaced in the summer if there's a better alternative available.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Mar 2023 14:27

The Royal Forester
Brogue Now up to 75% of fans not wanting him to stay on. Oof. Not looking good for him is it.

Only 79 fans have bothered to vote. You can hardly say it is 75% of Royals fans when only 59 have said they want Ince gone, .

aye, i quantified this on page 3, yes a small sample, is it representative of how all Reading fans think? i don't think we have any other metric to gauge fans' opinions. If the same question was put on twitter I guarantee the percentage of 'no's' would be far higher. But Twitter is full of idiots.

Brogue
Sutekh Could the results of this poll be made binding on the club?

Depends really. How does hob nob represent Reading fans opinions as a whole? Is hob nob a more reasoned demographic or is it over reactionary? Does the small sample of fans on hob nob represent the feeling of all fans ?

Compared to the #readingfc on Twitter it’s night and day - far more reasoned. But then again Twitter is full of fcuking idiots so comparing the two seems daft.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2023 14:52

The Royal Forester

He didn’t specify all reading fans, and that's how polls work. Take a sample and extrapolate out.

elrey

by elrey » 16 Mar 2023 11:23

Hendo
elrey
This year we've played 11 games, won two, against 20th and 22nd in the table. We've drawn two, against a team which sacked their manager and 19th.

Slightly misleading here.

QPR were in 13th and above us when we drew with them, not 19th.
Watford were 9th and above us when we drew with them, you missed out their position all together. Not sure what sacking their manager has anything to do with it, seeing as it a) didn't come immediately after our game and b) it is Watford who have a history of sacking their managers way too quickly.

Whilst still not great, lets get facts right before we make an argument.

Yes, let's get all pedantic. Did I make any mention of where they were at the time? No. So... what's the point of your post? Oh, there isn't one, other than pedantry. Happy Pedantry day to you too.

elrey

by elrey » 16 Mar 2023 11:24

karbota
elrey Ince has a tendency to do well for a while and then completely fall off the wagon.

This year we've played 11 games, won two, against 20th and 22nd in the table. We've drawn two, against a team which sacked their manager and 19th.

I can't imagine anything from Blackburn, Hull have won 4 in 2023, they beat West Brom and drew with Coventry, so, probably another 1-0 or 5-0 defeat.

There are some winnable games in April, Wigan, Birmingham, and Huddersfield in May.... but the problem is this is so Ince. To start well and then fall down and down and down, even the easy games will not be easy any more. It's like he pushes the players so much that they can't perform after a while. It's like he got a little pick me up from the World Cup break, still lost to Birmingham, but then after about 4 games it all fell apart again.

I don't know who else would come in and do a better job.... it's a difficult one. We're just not the sort of club anyone would want to manage.

Phil Parkinson is a good shout.

He has more money in non-league than we have.

elrey

by elrey » 16 Mar 2023 11:27

One8Seven1*
elrey Ince has a tendency to do well for a while and then completely fall off the wagon.

We are the only club he has managed for a full year.

I know, and I think that's only because the World Cup gave the players a breather.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Mar 2023 11:34

elrey
Hendo
elrey

Watford were 9th and above us when we drew with them, you missed out their position all together. Not sure what sacking their manager has anything to do with it, seeing as it a) didn't come immediately after our game and b) it is Watford who have a history of sacking their managers way too quickly.

Yes, let's get all pedantic. Did I make any mention of where they were at the time? No. So... what's the point of your post? Oh, there isn't one, other than pedantry. Happy Pedantry day to you too.

It's not about being pedantic, it's about being accurate and not trying to twist things that make your argument better. That's the point of my post :|

What's the point of using the positions the teams are in now, rather than where they were when we played them? Makes it totally irrelevant.

elrey

by elrey » 16 Mar 2023 11:53

Hendo
elrey
Hendo

It's not about being pedantic, it's about being accurate and not trying to twist things that make your argument better. That's the point of my post :|

What's the point of using the positions the teams are in now, rather than where they were when we played them? Makes it totally irrelevant.

How about, where they are now might reflect the team far more than where they were back then.

Reading did quite well at the beginning of the season, now we're somewhere down in 20th or lower for the last 10 games. Overall we're pretty bad and where teams are after nearly a whole season is more accurate than where they were after a few games.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 12:13

elrey
Hendo
elrey

How about, where they are now might reflect the team far more than where they were back then.

Reading did quite well at the beginning of the season, now we're somewhere down in 20th or lower for the last 10 games. Overall we're pretty bad and where teams are after nearly a whole season is more accurate than where they were after a few games.

Over the course of the season it does, but that doesn't matter when we are playing them at a moment in time. So Watford and QPR, at the time of playing them, were better sides than us, one of them still is better than us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 12:14

elrey
Hendo
elrey

Exactly. Both are relevant.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 16 Mar 2023 12:17

Thank Christ we has a good start to the season

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Mar 2023 22:53

Well - our reports put a lot of this discussion into perspective:

We lost 17m last season, and that was including the 8m we got for Olise. That's 4m more than we are allowed to (on average), or 12m more without any player sales.

We were supposed to have had a wage cap of £16m this season (down from the £21.1m in 2021/22). They would need to fall to probably around £10-12m next season for us to say within the £13m loss limit. This assumes that we don't have any net spending on players.

So, even leaving the EFL restrictions, if we were attempting to stay within P&S we'd have to spend less than this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Mar 2023 08:20

Depends how much we lose this season. I’m not sure our wage bill will be much lower and obvs we’re removing Meite, Joao, Moore and hopefully Puscas hefty salaries from the books when they’ve offered very little this season

Re Puscas Genoa on decent form, 3 points clear of Bari in 3rd and Puscas starting most games. So hopefully they’ll go up

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 17 Mar 2023 08:41

Losses are still large in respect, I'd imagine for this year they will be about the same, at about £17m.

We are probably going to have to accept that we will need to generate millions from player sales each season to have any chance of staying within P&S guidelines.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Mar 2023 12:39

We could make some savings by sacking the entire medical and fitness team and going nhs.

Couldn't get much worse.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Mar 2023 14:06

Elm Park Kid Well - our reports put a lot of this discussion into perspective:

We lost 17m last season, and that was including the 8m we got for Olise. That's 4m more than we are allowed to (on average), or 12m more without any player sales.

We were supposed to have had a wage cap of £16m this season (down from the £21.1m in 2021/22). They would need to fall to probably around £10-12m next season for us to say within the £13m loss limit. This assumes that we don't have any net spending on players.

So, even leaving the EFL restrictions, if we were attempting to stay within P&S we'd have to spend less than this season.

This doesn't factor in "allowed" costs, such as those relating to the Academy, Women's team, Community Trust, depreciation, and amortisation of intangible assets (not players). These are not put towards loss limits. I suspect these costs are higher than £4m.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Mar 2023 14:43

Snowflake Royal We could make some savings by sacking the entire medical and fitness team and going nhs.

Couldn't get much worse.

If anything the more injuries at the club the better the team seems to do on the pitch.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 17 Mar 2023 16:46

Roll on June when over-paid wasters like Liam Moore are off the books. There's a £1.5m annaul saving immediately.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Mar 2023 18:02

Just something to mention or debate......Get Reading saying our season ticket sales are just 9000 now. I wonder how much money we have lost in ticket sales because the football is that bad. By all means ride this season out.....or Sack Ince and let Bowen run the team til the end of the season......but it would really be bad press to keep someone in charge whose football is at times turgid and crap. I don't expect us to have a strong squad next season either but we need a tried and test Championship manager (for a change) . I would still take Ainsworth btw. I think given time he could build something. QPR won't give home time....few more Tonkin's and he might be available.

165 posts