Do you want ince to go before the end of the season?

Do you want ince gone before the end of the season

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 47
Webster750

Re: Do you want ince to go before the end of the season?

by Webster750 » 19 Mar 2023 12:16

I'd much prefer promoting from within (as a temporary measure) if we are handed the mentioned points deduction in the coming days/weeks.

It's evident that we need to try something new but I can't see us finding an inspiring permanent solution elsewhere given our current predicament and would much rather we waited until the end of the season before considering such.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Mar 2023 08:59

P.Ince until the end of the season and then review from there. Similar to last season, regardless of who is in charge, we aren't going to be any better/worse off. We'd have stayed up under either Pauno/P.Ince last season, likewise whatever our fate this season, it would be no different whether it was P.Ince, Bowen, Gilkes etc.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 20 Mar 2023 11:00

Change manager now? There doesn't seem a huge point in doing it now unless there is a good alternative candidate available. At best there might be a small new manager boost in performance, but it's a gamble. Anyone bought in will either have to be someone happy to do a temporary job, or an even bigger gamble of appointing someone to be the right fit for next season as well, and that's difficult when we don't know what division or financial situation the club will be in yet.

Change manager at the end of the season? Yes, definitely. Ince did everything asked of him last season, and this season has done an OK job in difficult circumstances. But it does seem increasingly clear that he's probably not the long term solution to Reading's problems.

I'd be tempted to limp on towards the end of the season under Ince unless things go catastrophically wrong in the next three or four games. Then at the end of the season say thank and you and goodbye, and try and find a new manager who is the best fit for whatever next season is going to be looking like.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Mar 2023 11:05

YorkshireRoyal99 P.Ince until the end of the season and then review from there. Similar to last season, regardless of who is in charge, we aren't going to be any better/worse off. We'd have stayed up under either Pauno/P.Ince last season, likewise whatever our fate this season, it would be no different whether it was P.Ince, Bowen, Gilkes etc.

Now that's a bold claim with no supporting evidence.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Mar 2023 11:15

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 P.Ince until the end of the season and then review from there. Similar to last season, regardless of who is in charge, we aren't going to be any better/worse off. We'd have stayed up under either Pauno/P.Ince last season, likewise whatever our fate this season, it would be no different whether it was P.Ince, Bowen, Gilkes etc.

We drew with Peterborough and beat Preston in his last 2 games and I don't really give too much credit to Ince for our win at Birmingham, simply because he didn't have too much time to work with them. That was 7 points from 9 with an underperforming manager and then a manager with little chance to influence the side, which is kind of my point.

We'd have stayed up because we had better quality on the field than Peterborough and Barnsley and Derby were crippled by their points deduction, regardless of who was in charge.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Mar 2023 11:52

I am not one to want managers to change on a regular basis, but I do think it is time for Ince to go. The reason is that I detest the way he runs the squad down. I cannot see how it is beneficial to keep going on about "being down to the bare bones", "having no quality on the bench" and "other teams have squads that cost millions". All this might be true, but it pretty much sends out a message that the players we have are in the main useless. Hardly motivational and I think if we do get a 6 point penalty, there is a real risk that we end up down if we stick with Ince.

I think it's time for Bowen to step in to the fray and motivate the squad we have for the last 8 games and then for a complete re-think in the next few months about the right sort of manager we need for the long term.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Mar 2023 12:08

I don't really know why I keep seeing fans wanting Bowen to step in. He's got his own job and didn't he take AFC Wimbledon down last season after not being able to arrest their slide?

Just stick with P.Ince and whatever happens, will happen, regardless of who is in charge.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Mar 2023 12:09

Our fortunes have very little to do with our manager. I didn't support sacking Paunovic, and I don't support sacking Ince. Our club is a shambles. We are looking nervously into the middle distance at bankruptcy. Every year we have to rebuild a thin squad with loan signings and picking up unattached players. Crowds are low, support is dismal. Bringing in another manager of the level that they would take on the task of trying to keep this club up is futile. We aren't going to stumble on a gem.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Mar 2023 12:18

Sanguine Our fortunes have very little to do with our manager. I didn't support sacking Paunovic, and I don't support sacking Ince. Our club is a shambles. We are looking nervously into the middle distance at bankruptcy. Every year we have to rebuild a thin squad with loan signings and picking up unattached players. Crowds are low, support is dismal. Bringing in another manager of the level that they would take on the task of trying to keep this club up is futile. We aren't going to stumble on a gem.

I've seen a lot of these claims that we'll go bust, especially if we get relegated, but I don't see it, after this season the only high earner left is Puscas and he's gone too if Genoa earn promotion and with Bari losing at the weekend, they've opened a 5pt gap over 3rd so it's looking good on that end so far.

So how are we going bust, if Dai recall the debt, can they even do that based on EFL rules? If they put us in administration, that might guarantee relegation to League One, certainly would if it happened this season but again, would that put us out of business? Would do if we can't find a new owner but I'll go out on a limb and suggest we'd be too big for the EFL to allow to go bust as it would be hugely embarrassing for them because this has all come about first, by letting us being taken over by a Russian with no money, then by having FFP rules that are far too reactionary and not enough preventative.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 20 Mar 2023 12:28

Can anyone see this team getting 3-4 more wins this season under PInce?

I can't see it, therefore we may as well roll the dice and try and get some sort of bounce with someone else

(As long as his pay off isn't prohibitory)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Mar 2023 12:34

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

We drew with Peterborough and beat Preston in his last 2 games and I don't really give too much credit to Ince for our win at Birmingham, simply because he didn't have too much time to work with them. That was 7 points from 9 with an underperforming manager and then a manager with little chance to influence the side, which is kind of my point.

We'd have stayed up because we had better quality on the field than Peterborough and Barnsley and Derby were crippled by their points deduction, regardless of who was in charge.

Well I say our results improved because everyone knew Paunovic was going / were relieved he went.

Piss easy to make stuff up isn't it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Mar 2023 12:40

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Now that's a bold claim with no supporting evidence.

Well I say our results improved because everyone knew Paunovic was going / were relieved he went.

Not really because you're just forming an opinion. You might say that, I might say differently, that's why this exists.

The point wasn't to do with who was/wasn't in charge, it was actually the opposite. It wouldn't have mattered who it was, be it Pauno, Ince or whoever else, we would have stayed up because we were better than 3 teams.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Mar 2023 12:45

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Not really because you're just forming an opinion. You might say that, I might say differently, that's why this exists.

The point wasn't to do with who was/wasn't in charge, it was actually the opposite. It wouldn't have mattered who it was, be it Pauno, Ince or whoever else, we would have stayed up because we were better than 3 teams.

Not sure Pauno can get much credit for that peterboro effort. We were absolutely absymal and should have lost to a team who hadn’t won for 20 games or something like that

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Mar 2023 13:25

Sanguine Our fortunes have very little to do with our manager. I didn't support sacking Paunovic, and I don't support sacking Ince. Our club is a shambles. We are looking nervously into the middle distance at bankruptcy. Every year we have to rebuild a thin squad with loan signings and picking up unattached players. Crowds are low, support is dismal. Bringing in another manager of the level that they would take on the task of trying to keep this club up is futile. We aren't going to stumble on a gem.

And why do you think crowds are so low? Cyclical effect isn’t it?

I don’t disagree with the notion that far too much blame is apportioned on the manager. But Ince is certainly a contributory factor to the current apathy and I think your comment of not going to stumble on a gem is a bit presumptuous

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Mar 2023 13:37

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Well I say our results improved because everyone knew Paunovic was going / were relieved he went.

Not sure Pauno can get much credit for that peterboro effort. We were absolutely absymal and should have lost to a team who hadn’t won for 20 games or something like that

He doesn't, not sure if the waters got muddied somewhere but my point was the managers, for me, didn't really matter that much because we'd have stayed up anyway I'd have thought. Fair play to Ince, he got us over the line, but I think we would have anyway, whether it was Pauno or someone else. It wasn't supposed to credit anyone because it was a terrible season in general.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Mar 2023 13:39

Think we’d have gone with Pauno tbh. Probably Gomes the year or two before as well

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Mar 2023 13:41

Elm Park Kid No - If there's something PInce has proven himself in it's steering the club away from a relegation battle. We've got 8 games left and I would be far more confident with him in than any new manager.

To be blunt, we might not be able to afford to pay him off. I don't know what he's earning - but could easily be half a million right? We don't have that sort of money to throw about.

IIRC his contract is only until the end of the season so it won’t cost anything like that to pay him off.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Mar 2023 13:43

Just about still Ince In.

He needs to grow a pair and do 2 things though.
1- Give his son a proper dressing down in front of the players - his attitude was unacceptable on Sat + plenty other times he has acted similar. If this isn't addressed it will stink out the place.
2 - Admit his approach is too negative.

There is no shame in being wrong but sticking to a failing system is not helping anyone. Maybe with the latest batch of injuries he will be forced to playing 4 at the back.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Mar 2023 15:25

URZZZZ

And why do you think crowds are so low? Cyclical effect isn’t it?

I don’t disagree with the notion that far too much blame is apportioned on the manager. But Ince is certainly a contributory factor to the current apathy and I think your comment of not going to stumble on a gem is a bit presumptuous

We've mostly had (relatively) shite managers since McDermott got us promoted. Given the club's current situation, no-one going anywhere in particular is going to take on the role at Reading.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 20 Mar 2023 15:40

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Well I say our results improved because everyone knew Paunovic was going / were relieved he went.

We got a battling 0-0 draw in appalling conditions against relegation rivals in what was a must win game for them really. It's exactly the type of performance/result/attitude that you need to avoid relegation and which I wasn't sure we had in us under Pauno to be honest. It stopped the run of defeats and was the main factor (imo) in going away to Preston (who'd only lost once in their previous 11) , scoring 3 and hanging on to the win there.

Add in the fact we had Joao , who we know Pauno can get a tune out of, and to a lesser degree Meite (who Ince seemed to have an issue with early on ) returning to match fitness and I don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest we might just have had enough to stay up.

We'll never know of course and ultimately even if he'd have lasted the season there wasn't any future for Pauno here.