The dedicated Chris Wilder thread

538 posts
Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The dedicated Chris Wilder thread

by Jackson Corner » 20 May 2023 20:28

Sean Evers on my god just seeing his name has bought back nightmares. £500,000 back then was a lot for a third tier player and still is. We got Sidwell and Harper for less than that. Every week you went thinking this is the week he starts to come good and he never did in fact he got worse. He left and disappeared into oblivion.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 May 2023 23:26

Jackson Corner Sean Evers on my god just seeing his name has bought back nightmares. £500,000 back then was a lot for a third tier player and still is. We got Sidwell and Harper for less than that. Every week you went thinking this is the week he starts to come good and he never did in fact he got worse. He left and disappeared into oblivion.
agree….you have got Sean Evers Reading career spot-on

Readings worst signing (cash being pro-rata) imo

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 May 2023 13:03

Dirk Gently WRTTOP, the smart money says Wilder is going to Hearts.

He's the third favourite for our job as it stands on Bet Victor, behind both Chris Davies and John O'Shea, who are both 3/1, whereas Wilder is 4/1.

Wilder is 5/4 and the favourite to get the Hearts job, closely followed by Steven Naismith at 5/2, so the bookies odds would suggest Hearts is on the cards at the moment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 May 2023 14:05

Except the bookies odds are mainly about where the money is going.

They will rarely have any special insight, as shown by how the market fluctuates the second a new name is mentioned.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 May 2023 14:57

AthleticoSpizz
Jackson Corner Sean Evers on my god just seeing his name has bought back nightmares. £500,000 back then was a lot for a third tier player and still is. We got Sidwell and Harper for less than that. Every week you went thinking this is the week he starts to come good and he never did in fact he got worse. He left and disappeared into oblivion.
agree….you have got Sean Evers Reading career spot-on

Readings worst signing (cash being pro-rata) imo

He went to Plymouth and seems to have delivered similar problems before winding up with Woking and barely made a handful of appearances there before finally disappearing forever to wherever players like that disappear to!

Some people put his problems down to injuries but as I think there was something else, seem to recall someone saying he was homesick!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 May 2023 16:10

Snowflake Royal Except the bookies odds are mainly about where the money is going.

They will rarely have any special insight, as shown by how the market fluctuates the second a new name is mentioned.

Is it not the other way around? The money is going on the favourite(s), because they are the favourites.

I'm not suggesting they do have that much inside information, but they obviously get wind of something from somewhere, regardless of how accurate it is, to put people in positions that they do.

Let's put it in reverse, how many people would have honestly put money on Wilder potentially being our next manager before it was rumoured we were interested in him? Look at some of the names that were thrown out originally, he wasn't there.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 May 2023 16:22

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Except the bookies odds are mainly about where the money is going.

Is it not the other way around? The money is going on the favourite(s), because they are the favourites.

I'm not suggesting they do have that much inside information, but they obviously get wind of something from somewhere, regardless of how accurate it is, to put people in positions that they do.

Let's put it in reverse, how many people would have honestly put money on Wilder potentially being our next manager before it was rumoured we were interested in him? Look at some of the names that were thrown out originally, he wasn't there.

Alan Nixon suggested we were interested in Wilder. Cue dozens of Reading fans requesting him to be added to the market, and him being pummeled into favouritism. If one person requests a manager to be added the bookies are going to be slightly cautious, hence Ian Royal going in at a ridiculous 10/1 a few years ago. If multiple people request someone then the bookies are going to suspect there's something in it and really protect themselves, hence Wilder going in at 1/3.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 May 2023 16:24

Exactly.

You need to remember that a couple of weeks before an appointment is made the person making the decision isn’t going to know who is getting the job, let alone the bookies or random people betting.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 May 2023 16:57

Fair enough points then, I've always thought the info was gotten from other sources, the Ian Royal one makes sense I guess (as in people requesting that, hence going in at certain odds).

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 May 2023 10:19

Shocking signing - didnt he join same time as Murty? Who, i actually thought was shocking at the start as well, took an age to settle, but just shows you what can happen, ending up being a Reading legend.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 May 2023 10:22

paultheroyal

Shocking signing - didnt he join same time as Murty? Who, i actually thought was shocking at the start as well, took an age to settle, but just shows you what can happen, ending up being a Reading legend.

But he joined us as a right winger, and was massively fragile. It's only after he was converted to a full-back, and Jon Fearn laid the law down and told him to stop being so precious about injuries that he started to attain legend status.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 May 2023 10:24

I thought Murty's injury problems cleared up after it was discovered that one of his legs was slightly longer than the other and he started to wear inserts in one of his boots to compensate.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 May 2023 10:33

From Despair To Where? I thought Murty's injury problems cleared up after it was discovered that one of his legs was slightly longer than the other and he started to wear inserts in one of his boots to compensate.

Didn't know about this, I knew Little's legs were not the same length. Would be quite something to have both right back and right winger to have this!

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 22 May 2023 10:46

Hendo
From Despair To Where? I thought Murty's injury problems cleared up after it was discovered that one of his legs was slightly longer than the other and he started to wear inserts in one of his boots to compensate.

Didn't know about this, I knew Little's legs were not the same length. Would be quite something to have both right back and right winger to have this!

Espectionally with one eye Bobby on the left :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 May 2023 10:49

Weymouth Royal
Hendo

:lol:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 May 2023 11:01

Weymouth Royal
Hendo

With such crippled wings, how ever did we get 106pts!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 May 2023 11:08

Hendo

I thought the problem with lopsided legs was Bobby Convey...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 May 2023 11:12

There was definitely something complicated like this...

As soon as he got fit and stayed fit he was quality.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 May 2023 11:52

IIRC, it was a matter of millimetres but enough to put undue strain on his Achilles or hamstring. I think it was identified when they did some gait analysis type shizzle that is usually done with long distance runners. We had a shit hot sports scientist in those days. Niall Clarke wasn't it? In my opinion, that's the one area we need to pile a "whatever it takes" amount of money into sorting out.

If Little had a similar problem, I guess he compensated by running like a bow legged hunchback having an asthma attack, which had the extra benefit of fooling full backs into thinking he was dead on his arse after 5 minutes.

royal67

by royal67 » 22 May 2023 15:39

From Despair To Where?
If Little had a similar problem, I guess he compensated by running like a bow legged hunchback having an asthma attack, which had the extra benefit of fooling full backs into thinking he was dead on his arse after 5 minutes.

Post of the year..... :lol:

538 posts