Is it time to bring back Ashes by Embrace?

Sebastian the Red

Re: Is it time to bring back Ashes by Embrace?

by Sebastian the Red » 26 May 2023 12:38

PieEater
Sebastian the Red
Having accounted for a fair amount of fuzz in the stats, and excluded a lot of irrelevant factors, I have been forced to conclude that the club started falling off the cliff when we stopped playing "Ashes" by Embrace at home games.

You're wrong, our demise started when they started playing Sweet oxf*rd Caroline before kick off.

Oh, so you suggest it was the addition of Neil Diamond's classic, rather than the removal of Ashes, which had the impact? They happened around the same time, so my data wouldn't account for that.

Realistically we need three clubs to test this. One which plays Ashes, one plays Sweet Caroline, and one plays nothing - and then test their level of performance against their historic records across, say, 4 or 5 seasons, to see what if any impact there is.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 26 May 2023 17:20

PieEater
Sebastian the Red
Having accounted for a fair amount of fuzz in the stats, and excluded a lot of irrelevant factors, I have been forced to conclude that the club started falling off the cliff when we stopped playing "Ashes" by Embrace at home games.

You're wrong, our demise started when they started playing Sweet oxf*rd Caroline before kick off.

You're both wrong. Our demise started in the last Premier League season when this dirty harlot turned up and wooed Kingsley. It has been downhill ever since.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 May 2023 17:57

Sebastian the Red
Schards#2 Anything to replace that awful "Only one number one" song they insist on playing at half time

Hi Schards, long time no see! I was in your neck of the woods recently to take my feral children to the Great Western Railway museum. A lovely place to spend a morning actually.

Back on topic, I am afraid I do not know that song.

https://mirrorpictures.bandcamp.com/track/robin-friday

East Ding Divvy

by East Ding Divvy » 27 May 2023 16:22

Yes.
2.45 - Royals Anthem - Kevin Girdler
2.50ish - Lux Aterna big screen video ( for those that actually go to their seats that early)
2.55ish - Ashes - Embrace OR Sirius - Alan Parsons Project (if you prefer Ashes for walkout, can't remember what season it was we used it but it's a class build-up tune)
WALKOUT - Ashes or Black Magic - Amazons (liked having it as walkout music during 16/17 me)
Then fade out and get the chants going, easy money. Would also like it if after a win or draw they would play Girdler right away; it's a bonified classic

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 30 May 2023 09:02

East Ding Divvy Yes.
2.50ish - Lux Aterna big screen video ( for those that actually go to their seats that early)
2.55ish - Ashes - Embrace OR Sirius - Alan Parsons Project (if you prefer Ashes for walkout, can't remember what season it was we used it but it's a class build-up tune)
WALKOUT - Ashes or Black Magic - Amazons (liked having it as walkout music during 16/17 me)
Then fade out and get the chants going, easy money. Would also like it if after a win or draw they would play Girdler right away; it's a bonified classic

You are clearly misnamed, Divvy.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 May 2023 09:25

Orion1871
PieEater
Sebastian the Red

You're both wrong. Our demise started in the last Premier League season when this dirty harlot turned up and wooed Kingsley. It has been downhill ever since.

SLAG

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 May 2023 10:58

East Ding Divvy Yes.

Half time walkout - Sweet Caroline?
End of game? - Guess different songs depending on the result
End of Season - We Are the Champions (unless we're not)

Mix it all about until we win, then mix it up again it again if we lose, maybe consult the players - If there's a song that's really going to get them motivated then go with that.

Fezza

by Fezza » 30 May 2023 11:17

It all went downhill when we stopped playing Big Bad Wolf by Duck Sauce - although this may have been in the changing room, thanks to Jem.

mad79

by mad79 » 30 May 2023 11:44

Fezza It all went downhill when we stopped playing Big Bad Wolf by Duck Sauce - although this may have been in the changing room, thanks to Jem.

Yes yes the big bad wolf tune with the air raid siren got the crowd going and the away crowd thinking WTF is this. Even more special as we were miles back that season and went on and won it.

East Ding Divvy

by East Ding Divvy » 30 May 2023 14:40

Forbury Lion
East Ding Divvy Yes.

Mix it all about until we win, then mix it up again it again if we lose, maybe consult the players - If there's a song that's really going to get them motivated then go with that.

This. Although would be nice to keep some sort of structure just so you know what you're getting; adds to the matchday experience. And a blanket ban on Sweet Caroline for me. Marketing companies have absolutely rinsed that song in almost every context and many (myself included) are sick to death of hearing it. On the contrary, I'd play Royals Anthem back to back all matchday if I was on the PA lol

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 30 May 2023 21:02

East Ding Divvy
Forbury Lion
East Ding Divvy Yes.

This. Although would be nice to keep some sort of structure just so you know what you're getting; adds to the matchday experience. And a blanket ban on Sweet Caroline for me. Marketing companies have absolutely rinsed that song in almost every context and many (myself included) are sick to death of hearing it. On the contrary, I'd play Royals Anthem back to back all matchday if I was on the PA lol

The absolute over reliance upon Sweet Caroline by a number of average sports teams and mid-market entertainment enterprises is an absolute scourge upon modern society.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 May 2023 08:15

Yeah, it's a dreadful dirge of a song.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 31 May 2023 19:15

Who owns the rights to the Royals Anthem? - I know Kevin Girdler sang it. Might be fun to get some remixes/cover versions going for added variety.

East Ding Divvy

by East Ding Divvy » 01 Jun 2023 23:24

Forbury Lion Who owns the rights to the Royals Anthem? - I know Kevin Girdler sang it. Might be fun to get some remixes/cover versions going for added variety.

Amazons cover with a bit of kick to it would be mega. Just be nice if the crowd actually got into it and the PA would play it more often

Rax

by Rax » 01 Jun 2023 23:37

Sebastian the Red
East Ding Divvy
Forbury Lion Half time walkout - Sweet Caroline?

The absolute over reliance upon Sweet Caroline by a number of average sports teams and mid-market entertainment enterprises is an absolute scourge upon modern society.

This. Makes me cringe every time I hear it!

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 02 Jun 2023 07:48

Sebastian the Red Like all of you I have spent my last few months doing little else other than analysing every single aspect of the club to work out what went wrong.

When Billy Beane used mathematicians instead of scouts to analyse what was going wrong for the Oakland A's baseball team, everyone thought he was mental, but the film Moneyball showed that he was 100% right. In a similar vein, I decided to apply a rigorous approach to the club's recent failings.

I think we should bring it back. Not only is it potentially thematically relevant, but I think it would guarantee the club promotion. I hope that the powers that be see this.

I think you have the timeline wrong. Billy Beane’s A’s lines up with our 106 season when we found undervalued players. This year has looked more like the modern A’s who are taking a shot at being the worst team in Major League Baseball, ever.

Next we move the team to Blackpool.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jun 2023 08:46

East Ding Divvy
Forbury Lion Who owns the rights to the Royals Anthem? - I know Kevin Girdler sang it. Might be fun to get some remixes/cover versions going for added variety.

Amazons cover with a bit of kick to it would be mega. Just be nice if the crowd actually got into it and the PA would play it more often

The Reading crowd get properly into singing a song? Never happen! A few half hearted words chanted when the catchy bit comes round is all the club'll ever get, fantastic though it would be we'll never be the Kop choir down here belting out a YNWA or even a Delilah especially "solo" when the record isn't even being played.

Would suggest the team should come out to something like a march e.g. the main title from the film "Things to Come" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US0fFyAxPlc) while the fans themselves should find and agree a song that works and will get them singing - think the nearest we've had to that sort of thing was the Bill Oddie "beard" song but there's plenty of others out there, eg. Jackdaw4's "The Beautiful Game" has a bit of a chant to it which might help (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUDEMRhJ62Y)....

East Ding Divvy

by East Ding Divvy » 02 Jun 2023 17:16

Sutekh
East Ding Divvy

The Reading crowd get properly into singing a song? Never happen! A few half hearted words chanted when the catchy bit comes round is all the club'll ever get, fantastic though it would be we'll never be the Kop choir down here belting out a YNWA or even a Delilah especially "solo" when the record isn't even being played.

Would suggest the team should come out to something like a march e.g. the main title from the film "Things to Come" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US0fFyAxPlc) while the fans themselves should find and agree a song that works and will get them singing - think the nearest we've had to that sort of thing was the Bill Oddie "beard" song but there's plenty of others out there, eg. Jackdaw4's "The Beautiful Game" has a bit of a chant to it which might help (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUDEMRhJ62Y)....

Even if they just did the "Sing for the royals, nanananana" bit it'd be better than nothing, I'm sure with a bit of hype on the social medias like C1871s twitter or something we could all rally behind it. I just think there's no point in constructing some sort of anthem now when there's one sitting there with a link to the past that we all (it seems) love. Although I guess the tradition of playing it at 2.45 goes against it as an "anthem" in a way, maybe it is just a nice song to play when you fancy some RFC nostalgia. I don't disagree with you it's never going to be YNWA or anything (understating it slightly :lol:)

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 02 Jun 2023 20:42

Sebastian the Red Like all of you I have spent my last few months doing little else other than analysing every single aspect of the club to work out what went wrong.

When Billy Beane used mathematicians instead of scouts to analyse what was going wrong for the Oakland A's baseball team, everyone thought he was mental, but the film Moneyball showed that he was 100% right. In a similar vein, I decided to apply a rigorous approach to the club's recent failings.

I think we should bring it back. Not only is it potentially thematically relevant, but I think it would guarantee the club promotion. I hope that the powers that be see this.

I'd prefer Brimful of Asha personally.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Jun 2023 17:43

Royalwaster

I'd prefer Brimful of Asha personally.

Everybody needs a bosom