Is it time to bring back Ashes by Embrace?

Sebastian the Red

Is it time to bring back Ashes by Embrace?

by Sebastian the Red » 26 May 2023 08:55

Like all of you I have spent my last few months doing little else other than analysing every single aspect of the club to work out what went wrong.

When Billy Beane used mathematicians instead of scouts to analyse what was going wrong for the Oakland A's baseball team, everyone thought he was mental, but the film Moneyball showed that he was 100% right. In a similar vein, I decided to apply a rigorous approach to the club's recent failings.

Having accounted for a fair amount of fuzz in the stats, and excluded a lot of irrelevant factors, I have been forced to conclude that the club started falling off the cliff when we stopped playing "Ashes" by Embrace at home games.

I think we should bring it back. Not only is it potentially thematically relevant, but I think it would guarantee the club promotion. I hope that the powers that be see this.

RFCMod

Re: Is it time to bring back Ashes by Embrace?

by RFCMod » 26 May 2023 09:06

They still play it

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 26 May 2023 09:07

RFCMod They still play it

Really? The last game I went to in 2015 they didn’t play it. Are you sure?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 May 2023 09:08

Sebastian the Red Like all of you I have spent my last few months doing little else other than analysing every single aspect of the club to work out what went wrong.

When Billy Beane used mathematicians instead of scouts to analyse what was going wrong for the Oakland A's baseball team, everyone thought he was mental, but the film Moneyball showed that he was 100% right. In a similar vein, I decided to apply a rigorous approach to the club's recent failings.

Having accounted for a fair amount of fuzz in the stats, and excluded a lot of irrelevant factors, I have been forced to conclude that the club started falling off the cliff when we stopped playing "Ashes" by Embrace at home games.

I think we should bring it back. Not only is it potentially thematically relevant, but I think it would guarantee the club promotion. I hope that the powers that be see this.

What tune did this Billy Beane come up with then?

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 26 May 2023 09:09

Sutekh
Sebastian the Red Like all of you I have spent my last few months doing little else other than analysing every single aspect of the club to work out what went wrong.

What tune did this Billy Beane come up with then?

Sadly that wasn’t in the film.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 May 2023 09:12

Good song, bring it back. But also please bring some good players into the club as well, that would also be nice.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 26 May 2023 09:20

YorkshireRoyal99 Good song, bring it back. But also please bring some good players into the club as well, that would also be nice.

When the club was last promoted Karl Sheppard and Cedric Baseya were in the squad. Players appear therefore to be have a remarkably small impact on the team’s success.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 May 2023 09:22

Sebastian the Red
YorkshireRoyal99 Good song, bring it back. But also please bring some good players into the club as well, that would also be nice.

When the club was last promoted Karl Sheppard and Cedric Baseya were in the squad. Players appear therefore to be have a remarkably small impact on the team’s success.

So Sidwell, Kitson, Doyle, Le Fondre, Leigertwood and Hahnemann etc. only had a small impact did they?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 26 May 2023 09:27

I suggest Raining Blood by Slayer. Have red lights in the tunnel, turn the sprinklers on, and leave the opposition in the tunnel on their own.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 26 May 2023 09:38

Sutekh
Sebastian the Red

So Sidwell, Kitson, Doyle, Le Fondre, Leigertwood and Hahnemann etc. only had a small impact did they?

Le Fondre and Leigertwood played a part (although my stats would suggest that their part was significantly less important than Ashes by Embrace).

Sidwell, Kitson, Doyle and Hahnemann did absolutely nothing. If anything they were an active hindrance.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 May 2023 09:41

While I love The Amazons I feel we've never recovered from the time we dropped Lux Aterna by Clint Poppie from the pre-match festivities

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 26 May 2023 09:44

Silver Fox While I love The Amazons I feel we've never recovered from the time we dropped Lux Aterna by Clint Poppie from the pre-match festivities

I actually didn't include this in my considerations. I remember the days of breathless press releases about new pre-match videos. It actually made it worth coming to matches.

Look at this work of art: https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2013/a ... -returns-/

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 May 2023 09:50

Sebastian the Red
Silver Fox While I love The Amazons I feel we've never recovered from the time we dropped Lux Aterna by Clint Poppie from the pre-match festivities

I actually didn't include this in my considerations. I remember the days of breathless press releases about new pre-match videos. It actually made it worth coming to matches.

Look at this work of art: https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2013/a ... -returns-/

An announcement rerepeating this announcement for its 10th anniversary will surely boost ST sales no end

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 26 May 2023 09:51

Anything to replace that awful "Only one number one" song they insist on playing at half time

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 26 May 2023 09:52

Silver Fox
Sebastian the Red

An announcement rerepeating this announcement for its 10th anniversary will surely boost ST sales no end

You'd certainly hope so.

Honestly, if they brought back Lux Aeterna and Ashes I'd probably actually come to one of the pre-season games (subject to timings, parking availability and weather). Tickets can't be much more than a tenner, and it's worth it to hear those songs through a decent sound system. Would be good if we could secure someone like Maidenhead or Canvey Island for a little July/August warm up.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 26 May 2023 09:53

Schards#2 Anything to replace that awful "Only one number one" song they insist on playing at half time

Hi Schards, long time no see! I was in your neck of the woods recently to take my feral children to the Great Western Railway museum. A lovely place to spend a morning actually.

Back on topic, I am afraid I do not know that song.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 May 2023 11:21

Hey Seb, feeling the need to boost your ego and feel superior so back again? Hope all's well m8.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 May 2023 12:07

About time we started playing more intimidating tunes like we used to back when Coppell and McDermott were managers. Like Lux Aeterna

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 26 May 2023 12:20

It’s played on the phone line when your waiting to speak to someone in the ticket office. The idea of a song is to get the crowd involved like Silver Lining, YNWA, Blue Moon even Brighton play Good old Sussex by the sea. We have never had one nothing wrong with Sweet Caroline it’s just that you hear it everywhere else. Another Neil Diamond song. song sung blue I always thought would work.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 May 2023 12:27

Sebastian the Red

You're wrong, our demise started when they started playing Sweet oxf*rd Caroline before kick off.