Will you like to see 'Sweet Caroline' as an anthem for RFC

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 422
iPhil®

by iPhil® » 08 May 2006 12:05

Get Reading Reading’s official website ran a feature to allow fans to vote for an official anthem at the beginning of the campaign.

The Proclaimers’ ‘I’m gonna be (500 miles)’ came out top from a list of 10 contenders.

However, the song never caught on and it has now been binned from the club’s pre-match routine at Madejski Stadium.

They hardly gave it a chance to be fair. They played it once, not very loud and at about 2pm. The stadium was half empty and most people didn't even hear it. Even a lot of those that knew it was going to be played missed it. However it was and is a rubbish song and I for one am glad that it failed.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 08 May 2006 13:40

Surely this doesn't need a debate. The club should try it out next year by playing Sweet Caroline a few times pre-match , see if it catches on and if so great. If not then don't press the point. The whole point of these anthems is that they ought to be spontaneous, not democratically discussed for months and then voted on by the fans.

Personally, as I have said before, I think it fits all the right bills for what is needed, but it has to be tried and tested in the stadium before it truly can be said to have caught on.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 May 2006 13:43

West Stand Man Surely this doesn't need a debate. The club should try it out next year by playing Sweet Caroline a few times pre-match , see if it catches on and if so great. If not then don't press the point. The whole point of these anthems is that they ought to be spontaneous, not democratically discussed for months and then voted on by the fans.

Personally, as I have said before, I think it fits all the right bills for what is needed, but it has to be tried and tested in the stadium before it truly can be said to have caught on.

It has and did. Shame now that we have to wait a few months to play it again! Come on everyone, get a set of the lyrics and get practicing! :lol:

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 09 May 2006 01:26

They played our song at The LegendsEngland v Germany game :shock:

england_away

by england_away » 13 May 2006 09:31

iPhil®
Get Reading Reading’s official website ran a feature to allow fans to vote for an official anthem at the beginning of the campaign.

The Proclaimers’ ‘I’m gonna be (500 miles)’ came out top from a list of 10 contenders.

However, the song never caught on and it has now been binned from the club’s pre-match routine at Madejski Stadium.

They hardly gave it a chance to be fair. They played it once, not very loud and at about 2pm. The stadium was half empty and most people didn't even hear it. Even a lot of those that knew it was going to be played missed it. However it was and is a rubbish song and I for one am glad that it failed.

Good thing and all because WE ARE NOT SCOTISH!!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 16 May 2006 03:17

What's the big deal with our fans constant attempts to have an "anthem". It didn't work the 1st time, it didn't work the 2nd time and I doubt it will work the third time.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 16 May 2006 08:19

RG30 What's the big deal with our fans constant attempts to have an "anthem". It didn't work the 1st time, it didn't work the 2nd time and I doubt it will work the third time.

The glass is half empty and all that :roll:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 May 2006 10:30

england_away
iPhil®

Good thing and all because WE ARE NOT SCOTISH!!
And most of us would struggle to walk 500 yards.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 22 May 2006 22:37

Now there's a vote on http://www.readingfc.co.uk/

Do you like the song Sweet Caroline?

Yes, please play it at every game
51.1%
It's OK, don't mind it now and then
28.7%
I don't like it
20.2%

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 23 Jun 2006 09:47

I've been humming this to myself since the fixture list came out ...
anyone know if the club still plan to play this when we score?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 23 Jun 2006 10:04

M4 Junction 11 I've been humming this to myself since the fixture list came out ...
anyone know if the club still plan to play this when we score?

Send and email, and suggest it!!!

I think 99.9% are in agreement that Tom Hark should go!

I only really realised how crap that sounds when Wigan played that last year, sooooo 'plastic'.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Jun 2006 10:13

Well, we should create a thread saying "POST here to ban tom hark". Only post a simple one word like "BAN IT" or "YES".

Then email the club saying - LOOK, we don't want it. PLLEEEEAAAASSSEEE.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 23 Jun 2006 13:32

bobby1413 Well, we should create a thread saying "POST here to ban tom hark". Only post a simple one word like "BAN IT" or "YES".

Well... what are you waiting for? :?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Jun 2006 14:25

Gav
bobby1413 Well, we should create a thread saying "POST here to ban tom hark". Only post a simple one word like "BAN IT" or "YES".

Well, I suggested it, but to be honest I don't really care THAT much. But in my opinion if the club receive 4 or 5 emails wanting it banned they are not going to do anything about it, Far better to say, here is 10 pages of people asking for it to be banned.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 23 Jun 2006 15:08

bobby1413
Gav

Well, I suggested it, but to be honest I don't really care THAT much. But in my opinion if the club receive 4 or 5 emails wanting it banned they are not going to do anything about it, Far better to say, here is 10 pages of people asking for it to be banned.

More to the point,
the club is unlikely to respond to any such petition so long as 90% + of the home crowd chnats and claps along with Tom Hark. The poll they need is that one - and to me it looks pretty much in favour of retention of Tom Hark.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 23 Jun 2006 15:29

West Stand Man
bobby1413
Gav

More to the point,
the club is unlikely to respond to any such petition so long as 90% + of the home crowd chnats and claps along with Tom Hark. The poll they need is that one - and to me it looks pretty much in favour of retention of Tom Hark.

Whatever is played will be sung along to, clapped along to etc.

No more Tom ba$tard Hark.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Jun 2006 16:28

Alan Partridge
West Stand Man
bobby1413
Gav

More to the point,

Whatever is played will be sung along to, clapped along to etc.

No more Tom ba$tard Hark.

True. Even when songs and things are done at the madstad that I don't like I still join in as it's fun and helps me enjoy the day. Tom Hark I don't mind that much, but wouldn't really mind seeing it go, think it's a bit old and dated now.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 23 Jun 2006 21:10

Terry and June for after goals, methinks.

loyalroyal

by loyalroyal » 23 Jun 2006 21:13

Winchester Royal Terry and June for after goals, methinks.

God, no

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 23 Jun 2006 21:52

I can't listen to the song without thinking back to the final day of the season. I hope we hear it before kick off at every home game.

Winchester Royal Terry and June for after goals, methinks.

Or how about just the fans celebrating? Hmm, me prefers a less plastic and pathetic way of celebrating a goal that waving my hands in the air in a gay manner whilst making myself look a complete tool singing "der der der............"

Plastic fans - Reading FC's flexible friends!

246 posts