19%
17-24
48%
25-32
29%

Total votes: 75
PorkyRfc

by PorkyRfc » 19 Jul 2006 11:59

You have to take into account that if we can perform well against these teams then we will also be stealing points off rivals, hence dragging them into the scrap with us if needed. I'm sure we will pick up points against the likes of Bolton, Everton and Man City.

From the 16 fixtures against those mainly direct competitors though I would say we will need something over 25 points or so.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 19 Jul 2006 12:03

Readingfanman Villa - 4
Boro - 2
Charlton - 2
Fulham - 3
Watford - 6
Sheffield - 6
Wigan - 2
Pompei - 4

so that's 29 points
With 2 losses.

We will lose more than 2 matches against those teams.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 19 Jul 2006 12:47

Readingfanman Villa - 4
Boro - 2
Charlton - 2
Fulham - 3
Watford - 6
Sheffield - 6
Wigan - 2
Pompei - 4

so that's 29 points
With 2 losses.

How is that 2 losses or am I being stupid?

2 points = 2 draws
3 points = 1 win 1 loss
4 points = 1 win 1 draw
6 points = 2 wins

So you've only got us losing against Fulham...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jul 2006 13:00

SpaceCruiser
Stranded
SpaceCruiser Was I dreaming or did Exeter actually beat Fulham 1-0 in a preseason friendly?

Yes they did. And it means absolutely bugger all. We lost to Dorchester last year IIRC.

Doesn't that depend on the teams fielded? Did we field a reserve team against Dorchester? :?

Apparently Jimmy Bullard came on for Fulham.

Still means nowt. It's a friendly - you always get weird/shock results in friendlies.

A_Royal_Andy
Location: Why not send the Royals to Halifax - they need a good team!

by A_Royal_Andy » 19 Jul 2006 13:15

wehateoxford in light of teams we're competting against. who can we steal upsets against??

i reckon we could do the following :
Tottenham, who i really didnt think were all that when we played them in preseason, and didnt show the character to retain fourth
Bolton at home, i just think we can
Everton (?)
West Ham, just for the rivalry

I reckon we should get 4 or 6 points each from Bolton and West Ham. All four matches will mean a lot to the fans (at least the ones that know our history) and the players should really pick up on this.

We should also be looking at getting 6 points each from every other team in the division. Assuming we will be defeated by 2/3 of the division is the wrong attitude to take.

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 19 Jul 2006 14:01

'lista
Einstein agogo what's a realistic team? are there unrealistic teams ?

Surreal Madrid.

ACDC Milan

I still want know what competing with realistic teams means... are they copies of the actual thing that look good but under close inspection you find that they are androids

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 19 Jul 2006 17:59

Einstein agogo
'lista

Surreal Madrid.

ACDC Milan

I still want know what competing with realistic teams means... are they copies of the actual thing that look good but under close inspection you find that they are androids

Feykenoord

YorkshireRoyal

by YorkshireRoyal » 21 Jul 2006 01:29

Aston Villa - 3 (if we're lucky).
Charlton - 0
Fulham - 0
Middlesboro - 0
Portsmouth - 0
Sheff Utd - 6
Watford - 6
Wigan - 0

I make it 15.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 21 Jul 2006 12:50

what a ridiculuos post!!....i think we can compete with most of the teams up there...except maybe the big 4!

size 12

by size 12 » 21 Jul 2006 14:33

The one thing nobody has mentioned is the confidence factor that a good start will give us. The first 5 games are all games that are winnable against teams that should be scrapping down at the bottom. A decent run to start off with, and then teams such as Newcastle, Blackburn, Bolton, Everton all come into our sights as games that we will expect to plunder some points

HighburyRoyale

by HighburyRoyale » 21 Jul 2006 16:52

'lista

Surreal Madrid.

They play in my Hackney Marshes league - Their second team, "Surreal Madrid D" are in our division.

Realistically I think we could get a draw against anyone at home. There are some obvious sides we should be looking to beat at home (Sheff U, Watford, Fulham, Charlton, Pardew, Everton (?), Boro, City, Portsmouth, Villa, Wigan) - and we should be looking to get an away point out of all of those sides.

If we manage that, we'll do as well as Wigan/West Ham last year.

If we don't but do ok, we'll be lower mid-table.

If we don't make the Mad Stad a fortress or do better than expected away, we'll be coming back down.

If we don't get 8 points from our first 5 games, we could be struggling come Christmas...

by 1960 » 22 Jul 2006 11:03

An analogy:

Bill and Fred are walking about the woods in Canada. Suddenly they come upon a grizzly bear.
"Run for your life" says Bill.
Fred says "Are you mad? You know we can't outrun a grizzly."
Bill replies "I don't have to outrun the grizzly, I just have to outrun you."

So while the poorer teams are shipping goals and points and scrambling a few points here and there, we just have to make sure we ship fewer and scramble more points than them.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Jul 2006 12:49

Obviously as fans we always look on the bright side but every poster so far has given us 6 points against Watford when last season we only got 2 points and arguably they have (so far) improved their squad more than we have. :cry:

Our first week is so important and if we don't get 4 or 5 points it could be a very hard season.
On the other hand if we happened to get say 7 points who knows where the confidence would take us in those very difficult September fixtures?
I suspect that Wigan and West Ham won't do a Wigan and West Ham of last season which could help our cause.

One poster picked on last time's friendly against Spurs as a guideline to how we might do against them now-don't think of friendlies or Cup games as an indication of how we might perform and remember that two of our successes last season v Birmingham (at home) and v West Brom were against teams that were relegated and we hardly got a look in against Arsenal reserves.

Regardless,I am now counting the days to the big kick-off and can't wait for the start of our historic season-let's hope for a heroic as well as historic year.

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 22 Jul 2006 13:31

Newcastle also look very vulnerable.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

Re: Realistic teams were competing with

by URZZZZZZZZ » 22 Jul 2006 17:40

retro royal Trying to be realistic here, these are the teams (IMO) were really up against (would love to be more positive)

Villa (In turmoil)
Charlton (Could improve under Dowie)
Fulham
Middlesboro (new manager, but money if needed)
Portsmouth (seem to be spending money)
sheff utd (Warnock still signing loads of strikers)
Watford (need a miracle)
Wigan (good first season, second season strugglers, ie ipswich)

Points from these

for me 25 points, means we need another 15 points from the others, just a random poll, sorry it didn't add 33+ (well I did but shagged it up)

A bit naive?

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 22 Jul 2006 19:50

I think we will get some points off most of the teams apart from the big 4. I can see us at least drawing agaisnt teams like Newcastle Blackburn and Bolton, who finished in the top 8 last year. But i can also see us dropping points against Watford, Sheffield Utd etc. Nobody knows how well we will do, but last season's confidence, the hunger of all our players to prove themselves at this level, and the fact there are a fair few teams who are no better than us, should ensure we survive.

harryroyal

by harryroyal » 26 Apr 2012 18:06

I reckon we could get a win at liverpool.

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 26 Apr 2012 18:38

harryroyal I reckon we could get a win at liverpool.

I reckon Winnersh Rangers could get a win at Liverpool.