Sign the Petition to save BBCRB Commentary

225 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jul 2006 15:31

Hoop Blah
Stranded The numbers bandied about is that 500,000 could lose the ability to listen to the game through one particular source, does anybody have any actual figures on how many people actually listened to the live commentary on Berks and not just the pre/post match stuff that will still be on there?

Agreed that there is a bit of hysteria surrounding this whole saga and that the actual impact of BBC Berks not having live commentry isn't all that great. However, this is no way for the football club to treat a 'partner' that has played a significant part in the recent years of success just to make a few extra thousand quid now we've made the big time.

I'm dissappointed in the direction the clubs taking at times like these.

I can understand totally why people are disappointed as this does seem not to have been a completely open bidding process. But the hysteria that what is all honesty a minor change of live rights is quite bizarre to me.

I could understand it a bit more if this had been at a time when we were losing any form of coverage but this is at a time when our star has never been higher and we are going in to the most highly reported league in the world, just think a bit of perspective has been lost from both sides of the arguement here.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 24 Jul 2006 15:32

Mr Mad is indeed being short sighted, by he doesnt need his long vision if he only wants one season in the limelight.
my main concern about this fiasco is the shift in the club, from wanting to improve the fanbase to just assuming its now got one and can mess them about.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jul 2006 15:33

Stranded I could understand it a bit more if this had been at a time when we were losing any form of coverage but this is at a time when our star has never been higher and we are going in to the most highly reported league in the world, just think a bit of perspective has been lost from both sides of the arguement here.

Many fans now can't listen to every match live. I don't think any perspective has been lost there.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 24 Jul 2006 15:37

i would agree jan figures would be a good estimate but i would still expect more people to come now, theres got to be infinitley more people interested in a fixture like Everton Vs Reading than interested in a fixture like Hull Vs Reading.

i dont think you can gauge how many listeners/potential fans we're losing as theres no other teams of our calibre in the thames valley, the area BBC berks provided too that Reading doesnt

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 24 Jul 2006 15:45

up to 900 by the way :)

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 24 Jul 2006 15:46

Stranded just think a bit of perspective has been lost from both sides of the arguement here.

That's not really the point. This move is just symptomatic of how the club has started to run roughshod over the fans' preferences and concerns for the benefit of short-term financial gain, and I get the feeling that it's the final straw for a lot of people who have been relatively uncomplaining so far.

Fair enough, we will have a lot of coverage next season, but none of it will have the kind of wholeheartedly supportive and full coverage that we get from BBC Berks.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 24 Jul 2006 15:48

How does the decision to go to 107 help to "Spread The Word"?

It seems to me that if RFC wants to become a major regional club (eg: not just within the confines of Greater Reading) then surely having BBCRB do the commentaries is one method of helping to achieve that?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jul 2006 15:52

Mr Angry How does the decision to go to 107 help to "Spread The Word"?

Maybe STAR should address that specific question to the club and see what their official answer is.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 24 Jul 2006 15:53

Just been reading ( excuse the pun :wink: :lol: ) a few posts and thought:-

" Hey, let's really critizise the man who almost single handedly saved our little club from extinction and has now found us playing against the elite of English football in less than 2 decades"

The bugger has stopped us listening to the Royals on the wireless.

Boo Hoo. :cry:

:roll:

Keeper

by Keeper » 24 Jul 2006 15:55

Even West Ham fans are signing up, link to the petition from another forum and getting lots of support from people who agree with us.

Its not right that the people who have relied on BBCRB for so long, the exiles, OAP's and fans with other commitments who cannot get to away games, have now lost the ability to follow their team's progress via the radio and online because of this decision.

Keep it going everyone

thefruits

by thefruits » 24 Jul 2006 15:58

Gordons Cumming Just been reading ( excuse the pun :wink: :lol: ) a few posts and thought:-

" Hey, let's really critizise the man who almost single handedly saved our little club from extinction and has now found us playing against the elite of English football in less than 2 decades"

Fair point. A bit of perspective (as someone else said) is indeed required. Its just that this particular decision seems so at odds with what JM has sought to do. It seems ill thought-through, completely un-economic and taking this decision has created alot of ill-feeling when we should be looking forward to the most fantastic season in our history.

It is a needless, pointless and utterly strange decision, which he could easily reverse by simply letting both stations share the commentary. He could raise £65k each from both stations and the club would be £30k better off than currently.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jul 2006 16:00

Gordons Cumming Just been reading ( excuse the pun :wink: :lol: ) a few posts and thought:-

Thanks GC, that was kind of my point regarding perspective here.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 24 Jul 2006 16:04

JM has been here thick and thin, fair play, fair point

but so have BBCRB

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 24 Jul 2006 16:04

Stranded

You're welcome. We are clearly like minded people who have removed the blinkers and are free to see the bigger picture.

I can almost smell the freedom. :shock: :wink:

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 24 Jul 2006 16:06

So as RFC is run on such autocratic lines any decision made by the club is above criticism as to do so reflects badly on our saviour Mr Mad?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Jul 2006 16:06

So our Chairman is so great now that he can never make a mistake and whatever he might do is immune from any criticism?

Gordons Cumming
Stranded

You're welcome. We are clearly like minded people who have removed the blinkers and are free to see the bigger picture.

I can almost smell the freedom. :shock: :wink:

On the other hand you might be failing to spot the cut of the Emperor's clothes!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 24 Jul 2006 16:10, edited 2 times in total.

Keeper

by Keeper » 24 Jul 2006 16:07

Fair enough, he has done a lot for the Club and we are in a strong position, but why now take the facility of commentary away from thousands of fans who have been with him all of the way before?

Its not sound business, when you are trying to sell a product you want it as visible as possible, so by cutting off exiles, and people outside of Reading you are never going to expand and create more interest in your product.

Yahoops

by Yahoops » 24 Jul 2006 16:09

I think the vast majority of comments posted have been reasonable and there is no need to call for perspective!

If JM is being singled out as acting in pure self-interest over this issue, it does not negate all the good work he has done for the club. Has anyone even suggested it does?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 24 Jul 2006 16:12

JM is my hero and can do no wrong. :wink:

End of

Go forth and multiply you plastic sinners. :roll:

If it wasn't for this man we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Perspective, pespective, perspective.

If you're not at the ground watching the game live, you must be a plastic and not worth the bother anyway. :wink:

( I'm in a very mischeivous mood and a little demob happy )

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 24 Jul 2006 16:18

Yahoops I think the vast majority of comments posted have been reasonable and there is no need to call for perspective!

If JM is being singled out as acting in pure self-interest over this issue, it does not negate all the good work he has done for the club. Has anyone even suggested it does?

True- and to further that we are not making a greedy and unreasonable demand it is partly for us and partly to increase exposure , and thus revenue. Plus surely another short term gain would to have 2 stations paying to cover live games. If Reading 107fm is going to to be taken seriously its has to be on its own merits and not forced upon us.

225 posts