Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 21 Aug 2006 16:18

SpaceCruiser
Platypuss
SpaceCruiser
Reading Abbey
SpaceCruiser
Reading Abbey
SpaceCruiser And how many times has Coppell played Halls in central midfield in a competitive game? :roll:

Against Stoke, we won and he scored. :lol:

And where did he play?

Midfield you spacker.

I checked the match report, it says we played 4-3-3, so I doubt Halls played central midfield. Probably right midfield.

The same match report that said Halls looked better later on when moved to wide right midfield?

Ok, I stand corrected.

Two firsts in 3 days - reading winning a premiership game and Spacey admitting he was wrong.............

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 21 Aug 2006 16:21

Reading Abbey :D

I dunno why you're grinning, you said he would be more comfortable in a holding role in the midfield and yet the Stoke report says he wasn't comfortable there.

pieface

by pieface » 21 Aug 2006 16:31

if the coaching staff think he good enough for reading than i have confidence in him as long as he doesent think he some super star cause he be the only player already to played a campaigne in the preimer league

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 21 Aug 2006 16:33

agree with most sentiments on here, less gamble if he's free and if we take him for a season he can battle for a place in the squad

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 21 Aug 2006 17:29

I think this would be a reasonable signing in terms of adding strength in depth.

De la cruz isn't the type of player who would be pressing Murts/Shorey for a place in the starting line up, but will make for useful cover.

On a free with a one year contract - sounds like sensible business to me.

I would be interested to see where Halls is going to fit into the bigger picture this season. I would like to see him get involved with the side more than he has been, but saying that, I'm not entirely sure where he will fit in. The debate around better at right back or in midfield is certainly an interesting one - regardless of which Coppell feels is his stronger, I see him struggling to break into the first team on a regualr basis, especially in midfield where Bryn has to be in front of him, should he be deemed a holding player.

But back to De la cruz - if he trains well, snap him up I say.

Doyler

by Doyler » 21 Aug 2006 17:38

He didn't have a great world cup, some of his marking was shocking. Why do you think he got the nickname 'useless' de la cruz. Not to mention the fact he couldn't get in to villa's defence.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 21 Aug 2006 17:40

He was crap in the World Cup and released by vVlla for being crap as well. The only time he has impressed was when playing for Hibs in the Scottish Premier League. Says it all about him really.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 21 Aug 2006 17:42

Big Ern He was crap in the World Cup and released by vVlla for being crap as well. The only time he has impressed was when playing for Hibs in the Scottish Premier League. Says it all about him really.

He was OK for Ecuador in the World Cup & was released by Villa for falling out with o'Leary.

Brentford fans said Sonko was crap & Wolves fans said Ivar was a crap centre back, so I trust Coppell's judgement.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 21 Aug 2006 17:46

West Stand Flash so I trust Coppell's judgement.

That surprises me, as I seem to remember you didn't always do so.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 21 Aug 2006 17:47

was released by Villa for falling out with o'Leary.

Contract was up.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2006 18:22

Can't say I'm impressed with De La Cruz. I thought he looked poor at the world cup. I can't see him challenging for a place but might be useful as cover.

Lost in the West Stand

by Lost in the West Stand » 21 Aug 2006 18:43

wasn't bad in the World Cup, but neither was Brent Sancho :roll:

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Aug 2006 18:52

We should snap up any chance to sign a player name Ulises. Fantastic.

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 21 Aug 2006 19:07

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 21 Aug 2006 19:11

Doyler He didn't have a great world cup, some of his marking was shocking. Why do you think he got the nickname 'useless' de la cruz. Not to mention the fact he couldn't get in to villa's defence.

Ulysses is the Roman name for the Greek hero Odysseus.

I think Villa fans gave him the nickname 'useless' because they are thick Brummies and that is the best their limited brains could come up with.

Maybe he will do better in the more cultured south?

Mr Sonko

by Mr Sonko » 21 Aug 2006 22:11

Saw this guy keep Joe Cole out of the game in Stuttgart when JC was our best hope of progressing. Thought he did pretty well and would be a good addition.

There was a piece about him in the press commenting how he lived in a semi in Solihul and sent regular money home to Ecuador to provide schools and running water in his local area. Sounds like Coppell would take to him, he wouldnt be expensive and he has something to prove now.....all of which fits the pattern.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 21 Aug 2006 22:13

Mr Sonko Saw this guy keep Joe Cole out of the game in Stuttgart when JC was our best hope of progressing. Thought he did pretty well and would be a good addition.

There was a piece about him in the press commenting how he lived in a semi in Solihul and sent regular money home to Ecuador to provide schools and running water in his local area. Sounds like Coppell would take to him, he wouldnt be expensive and he has something to prove now.....all of which fits the pattern.

Yep, there was a similar item on the telly before the Ecaudor game, IIRC. He is also a Unicef ambassador.

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 21 Aug 2006 22:19

Well, we're getting to the end of the transfer window, and being the ugliest hooker in the brothel, there's been no action for us.

We're pretty desperate now and I guess that's why we are signing up Villa rejects. hopefully coppell can work his magic and give him a magic make over and turn him from uslessees to the reading name for a ecuadorian hero.

Although... if he turns out to be sh*t... you just can't polish a turd.

mathematically_safe
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: keeping wicket for the quakers in my joy division oven gloves

by mathematically_safe » 21 Aug 2006 22:25

chris makin replacement by the sound of things

YorkshireRoyal

by YorkshireRoyal » 21 Aug 2006 23:32

Useless de la Cruz.

Coppell showing his amazing knowledge of the transfer market again, picking up all these excellent players.

God help us! :roll: