I suppose someone should do it...Overrated Players

185 posts
handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

I suppose someone should do it...Overrated Players

by handbags_harris » 08 Oct 2006 21:43

Seeing as we've had underrated, we may as well have overrated.

I think my most overrated player would have to be James Lambert. Infuriatingly good on the telly, but never produced the goods every week. Remember a couple of awesome goals he scored, one particularly against Port Vale in Sep 95 springs to mind, and the THAT Forest goal, but otherwise his ability never shone through.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 08 Oct 2006 21:47

Nicky Forster?

Although hindsight is a wonderful thing

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Oct 2006 21:49

Tony Rougier - yes he had the skill, but he so rarely put it to wprthwhile use. He'd often beat somone brilliantly on the wing and then try to beat them again, instead of putting the corss straight in. And too often and his effort levels were minimal.

If he'd put the effort in and applied himself better he could have been a world-beater, but he was a waste of a placeto me - but some people rating him really highly foir what he had the ability to - not for what he did actually do.

bassavage

by bassavage » 08 Oct 2006 21:53

Hughesy!!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Oct 2006 21:53

Martin Butler.

About as good in the air as a dead sparrow.

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 08 Oct 2006 22:08

les ferdinand and martin keown what big let downs

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Oct 2006 22:18

Andy Hughes
Sammy Igoe

Only two I can think of at the minute.

Hughes should be a right back and how he's gone so long in midfield is a mystery, as for Igoe loved by lots and I could never understand it! :? Would have 1 good game followed by 10 where you wouldn't know he was on the pitch.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Oct 2006 22:18

The "magnificent seven".

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 08 Oct 2006 22:19

2 world wars, 1 world cup The "magnificent seven".

Only Burns ever rated them! :lol:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Oct 2006 22:27

Alan Partridge Andy Hughes
Sammy Igoe

Hughes should be a right back and how he's gone so long in midfield is a mystery, as for Igoe loved by lots and I could never understand it! :? Would have 1 good game followed by 10 where you wouldn't know he was on the pitch.
Sammy Igoe.......no no no

Played brilliantly in front of Murtz

Took Murtz a season to adjust to playing behind blakey

wiggso

by wiggso » 08 Oct 2006 22:27

the hype before Mass Sarr was ridiculus, heard somebody say 'apparently he makes gilksey look slow' :lol: :lol: :lol:

bobby mihilov
99% of burns' buys (any rating at all was over rating)
caskey

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 08 Oct 2006 22:28

AthleticoSpizz
Sammy Igoe

Igoe was even less consistant than Rougier. Igoe wouldn't turn up for half a season, no surprise he hasn't played at a decent level since leaving Reading. Bobbins.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 08 Oct 2006 22:32

Bobby Convey.

One season wonder.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Oct 2006 22:32

Alan Partridge
AthleticoSpizz
Sammy Igoe

Igoe was even less consistant than Rougier. Igoe wouldn't turn up for half a season, no surprise he hasn't played at a decent level since leaving Reading. Bobbins.
but still played blinders in front of Murtz

We've been spoilt since..............but I am going back to, Kevin Watson/John Salako and Marcus Hahnehman on loan era

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 08 Oct 2006 22:36

AthleticoSpizz
Alan Partridge
AthleticoSpizz
Sammy Igoe

but still played blinders in front of Murtz

We've been spoilt since..............but I am going back to, Kevin Watson/John Salako and Marcus Hahnehman on loan era

Once or twice maybe so but not consistently, it's why he could never hold down a place here. Fits the overrated category for me cos fans loved him!!

NTRoyal

by NTRoyal » 08 Oct 2006 23:04

Martin Butler.

When I first started going, he was out injured (broken leg?), and I was told he was our best player, and we would a much better team with him.

He was crap.

Always used to jump for headers about 2 seconds before the ball got near him! Was slow and marked out of games all too often. But having said that, i never seen him when he was playing regularly with Curo, so...

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 08 Oct 2006 23:58

Martin Butler.

When I first started going, he was out injured (broken leg?), and I was told he was our best player, and we would a much better team with him.

Well if you saw him before that injury, you would change your mind

Fezza

by Fezza » 09 Oct 2006 00:50

Steve Sidwell - Whilst he has been very good for us at times he goes missing, how he managed to keep the tag of the best player outside the premiership for so long I will never know!

I'm not saying he's been bad for us, just that far to much emphasis has been put on his role in the team for the last 2 seasons!

I await a slating!

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 09 Oct 2006 02:21

Andy Hughes, Nicky Forster (on basis of goals per game ratio), Sean Evers, Keith Scott, Mark McKeever (sp?) - (Didn't Sheffield Wednesday price us out of a move for him or he didn't want to come, and then his career nose dived), Mark Reilly, Robert Fleck, Paul Brayson, NeviLOLLOLe Roach, James Lambert (through his career away)......

Just for starters.

International Royal

by International Royal » 09 Oct 2006 06:46

Without doubt the one and only Mr Caskey. He was completely over-rated by the fans, the club and worse still himself. He came in the days when 700,000 was the same as probably spending 2 - 3 million today. That created expectation; he never delivered and so that is the definition of over-rated.

He was slow, fat and had absolutely no dedication to his profession. He was blessed with some talent but rarely if ever fulfilled it. A lot of the time he was untouchable and played week in week out. Most of the fans couldn't actually see how poor he was (until the end) and it was someone else’s fault or the make up of the team, we didn't play to his strengths, the team should be built around him, the others weren't as good and couldn't understand him. He was quite frankly the most over rated player I have ever seen. It did catch up with him in the end when he was reduced to cameos and eventually farmed out 5 years too late. It took Pardew to finally suss him.

For people to suggest people like Forster or Hughes they don't know what their talking about - again new supporters from a more recent era. Forster was probably the best player at this club for 4 years so how can be over rated? Hughes was average but played to his full potential and never gave less than 100% in a variety of positions. He was a manager’s player.

185 posts