PLease join me in heaping total and utter contempt on ....

Cemy Junction Expat

PLease join me in heaping total and utter contempt on ....

by Cemy Junction Expat » 22 Oct 2006 18:17

... Paul Merson ("summarising" for Sky today)

Never seen such a total pile of smug, self-satisfied, condescending sh*te in, ooh, at least a few weeks.

Classic "pathetic little Reading" attitude and smug smack-me-here stupid f**** grin to go with it.

I'm surprised he didn't openly question why his golden boys had to dirty their beautiful designer boots coming to collect their automatic 3 points down in peasant-land Berkshire.

"No disrespect to the Reading fans but they should have stood and applauded [the Thierry Henry] goal" - almost kicked the TV screen in.

I was just begging for some witty retort along the lines of "I wouldn't put money on that Paul"....

Really spoiled an otherwise superb display by his team.

Twat! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Oct 2006 18:17

Grow up and learn to roll with the punches.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: PLease join me in heaping total and utter contempt on ..

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Oct 2006 18:20

Cemy Junction Expat ... Paul Merson ("summarising" for Sky today)

Why? He was only speaking the truth. I didnt think he was too condescending and he paid us a fair few compliments. At least he didnt sneer like Mark Lawrenson would have done.

And Arsenal were indeed a pleasure to watch today

Cemy Junction Expat

by Cemy Junction Expat » 22 Oct 2006 18:21

I do beg your forgiveness - I was under the impression this was one of these internet forum things where you could vent your feelings about a sport and team you're passionate about.

Shall we get everyone to PM their posts to you before airing them so we can ensure they meet your standards for maturity and level-headedness?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Oct 2006 18:23

John Madejski's Wallet

Why? He was only speaking the truth. I didnt think he was too condescending and he paid us a fair few compliments. At least he didnt sneer like Mark Lawrenson would have done.

Bang on JMW, I want us to win, I am a crazy Reading fan, I thought at 2-0 we could get a point (!) but we were treated to a footballing lesson today, a joy to watch someone actually play class football and score good goals with no doubt about them, if I am supposed to moan, be negative and hate Arsenal for that then sorry, I refuse to do so, credit where credit it due, they were a different class today.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Oct 2006 18:25

Merson is still Arsenal through and through.

But he summed us up pretty fairly and said he was very confident we will stay up.

Can't say fairer than that.

Cemy Junction Expat

by Cemy Junction Expat » 22 Oct 2006 18:25

John Madejski's Wallet

IMHO his comments and attitude before the game kicked off were worse than condescending - sheer arrogance of the stupidest kind.

The fact that Arsenal were terrific (totally agree) has nothing to do with it ...

Not the sort of performance I expect from "professional" commentators ..

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Oct 2006 18:28

SouthDownsRoyal Bang on JMW, I want us to win, I am a crazy Reading fan, I thought at 2-0 we could get a point (!) but we were treated to a footballing lesson today, a joy to watch someone actually play class football and score good goals with no doubt about them, if I am supposed to moan, be negative and hate Arsenal for that then sorry, I refuse to do so, credit where credit it due, they were a different class today.

I'm a little gutted we got beat, but i'm not all that despondant getting beat with such a breathtaking display. My real regret was that I couldn't get to the game today to watch such sublime stuff in the flesh

Cemy Junction Expat

by Cemy Junction Expat » 22 Oct 2006 18:28

SouthDownsRoyal
John Madejski's Wallet

Bang on JMW, I want us to win, I am a crazy Reading fan, I thought at 2-0 we could get a point (!) but we were treated to a footballing lesson today, a joy to watch someone actually play class football and score good goals with no doubt about them, if I am supposed to moan, be negative and hate Arsenal for that then sorry, I refuse to do so, credit where credit it due, they were a different class today.

can't disagree with any of that - it's not Arsenal that aggravated me - just PM.

the gunners were fantastic and this is the sort of contest we worked so hard to have at the mad stad

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 22 Oct 2006 18:31

Must agree some of Mersons remarks made me cringe but I do think it is great sportsmanship to applaud an opposing teams goal.

Saw Palermo in their promotion season and all their fans rose to their feet and applauded noisily when lowly Avellino equalised with a wonder strike.
Can't ever remember seeing this at any other live game.

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 22 Oct 2006 18:32

Must agree some of Mersons remarks made me cringe but I do think it is great sportsmanship to applaud an opposing teams goal.

Saw Palermo in their promotion season and all their fans rose to their feet and applauded noisily when lowly Avellino equalised with a wonder strike.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Oct 2006 18:34

Glory Boy Must agree some of Mersons remarks made me cringe but I do think it is great sportsmanship to applaud an opposing teams goal.

Even psycho fans from Besitkas applauded Spurs off the pitch on thrusday. Nice to see.

I remember a few years back when some reading fans (me included) applauded wimbledon players off the pitch after they did us 3-0 and it caused all sorts of rows between the reading fans.

Cemy Junction Expat

by Cemy Junction Expat » 22 Oct 2006 18:46

John Madejski's Wallet
Glory Boy Must agree some of Mersons remarks made me cringe but I do think it is great sportsmanship to applaud an opposing teams goal.

Even psycho fans from Besitkas applauded Spurs off the pitch on thrusday. Nice to see.

I remember a few years back when some reading fans (me included) applauded wimbledon players off the pitch after they did us 3-0 and it caused all sorts of rows between the reading fans.

ha ha , yes I remember that one well - I applauded as well that day, although to be fair as much in protest at our show as in appreciation of WFC.

But I don't like being told by some C-rate ex-player that I should have to do so !

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 22 Oct 2006 19:06

Probably off celebrating tonight. Doubt he would get into that Arsenal team.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 22 Oct 2006 19:18

Merson says what he thinks and is often right. Arsenal are out of our league at the moment and he said we were a decent side and will definitely stay up so fair play to him.

jm_cooper

by jm_cooper » 22 Oct 2006 19:19

i had to turn the commentary off, couldn't bear to hear Andy Gray and Martin Tyler whacking each other off over Arsenal's performance....

Captain Sinbad
Location: On cloud nine until at least the end of 06/07 season

Merson

by Captain Sinbad » 22 Oct 2006 19:30

His few compliments were laced with contempt so don't be taken in by it. Fawning muppet - anyone hear his conversation with Redknapp?

Redknapp talks about the dietary regime Wenger brought to Arsenal and Merson says "Der, yeah and the food!"

:roll:

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AJ~ » 22 Oct 2006 19:45

Glory Boy Must agree some of Mersons remarks made me cringe but I do think it is great sportsmanship to applaud an opposing teams goal..

Yes, congratulations and thank you for taking the lead against us. Jolly good show chaps.

I can understand applauding the opposition off the pitch, but standing up and clapping when a team takes the lead against you in the second minute of the game? Balls to that.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 22 Oct 2006 20:15

jm_cooper i had to turn the commentary off, couldn't bear to hear Andy Gray and Martin Tyler whacking each other off over Arsenal's performance....

Fanzone is the way forward!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Oct 2006 23:50

John Madejski's Wallet
SouthDownsRoyal Bang on JMW, I want us to win, I am a crazy Reading fan, I thought at 2-0 we could get a point (!) but we were treated to a footballing lesson today, a joy to watch someone actually play class football and score good goals with no doubt about them, if I am supposed to moan, be negative and hate Arsenal for that then sorry, I refuse to do so, credit where credit it due, they were a different class today.

I'm a little gutted we got beat, but i'm not all that despondant getting beat with such a breathtaking display. My real regret was that I couldn't get to the game today to watch such sublime stuff in the flesh

Any other side would probably have tried to put a tackle in perhaps? Or maybe defended at some stage?

You should have been there today I'm sure you'd have really loved it.