Multi-ball

Multi-ball

by 1960 » 24 Oct 2006 12:18

This might have been mentioned before and, if so, feel free to Dodd me.

Last year we outpaced and overpowered teams with our athleticism. This was further helped by the use of mult-ball: opponents didn't get a rest and quickly-taken corners, throws and free kicks often caught them out before they could regroup and set up their defence.

This year we are not using it. Do the Prem not allow it? Or is it us?

Whichever it is, would it even be any good against much better, stronger, fitter teams? Do we actually need the single ball so that WE can regroup or catch a breather?

What do you think?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 24 Oct 2006 12:22

The Premier League does not allow it to be used

meeky_no9

by meeky_no9 » 24 Oct 2006 13:21

End of thread :lol: :D :) :lol:

royal tunbridge wells

by royal tunbridge wells » 24 Oct 2006 13:29

maybe not...

I take the point that the Premier league don't allow the multi-ball system. But does anyone know their reasoning. I'm just curious really.

Is it because they assume it will be 'fixed' by the ball boys/girls in favour of the home team ?

By the way, i was somewhat amused on Sunday when the ball was punted halfway up the east stand, and someone caught it and did a celebratory twirl with the ball raised above his head - presumably delighted that he had actually managed to catch the thing.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 24 Oct 2006 13:43

On a related note, why are the ball boys/girls now having to stand behind the advertising boards? Is there some new legislation that they're not allowed in front of them. This seriously delays being able to get a ball, as they have to jump over the hoarding before being able to get the ball.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 24 Oct 2006 13:45

I believe that when it was last allowed clubs took advantage of it too much, the opposition complained about the ditribution of balls to them. I certainly remember a good few instances of the referee asking the club officials to remove the balls due to multiple ones being on the pitch at throw-in and free kick scenarios

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 24 Oct 2006 13:51

Royal Lady On a related note, why are the ball boys/girls now having to stand behind the advertising boards? Is there some new legislation that they're not allowed in front of them. This seriously delays being able to get a ball, as they have to jump over the hoarding before being able to get the ball.

I would guess that such a regulation is in place and that is also why Kingsley has been banished. Probably to maintain an unobstructed view of the advertising boards.

Kingsley also out of the hoops :cry:

...but back in stock (complete with replica shirt) in the megastore :wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Oct 2006 13:55

Huntley & Palmer The Premier League does not allow it to be used

Yep, heaven forbid that anything be done to increase the amount of time the ball is actually in play and increase the entertainment value for fans!

I believe the multi-ball is ok for Europe and the football league but not the PL!

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 24 Oct 2006 14:12

Ad hoardings issue is due to the fact that we now have a second tier of advertisements running around the perimeter of the pitch in addition to the ones fixed to the outside of the bottom row of each stand. Nothing more....nothing less..........

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 24 Oct 2006 14:49

That Friday Feeling
Kingsley also out of the hoops :cry:

This is so he can't be confused with the players for offside decisions.

(FFS, Someone tell the Premier league that Caskey doesn't play for us any more! :D )

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 24 Oct 2006 14:59

Huntley & Palmer I believe that when it was last allowed clubs took advantage of it too much, the opposition complained about the ditribution of balls to them. I certainly remember a good few instances of the referee asking the club officials to remove the balls due to multiple ones being on the pitch at throw-in and free kick scenarios

In which case the answer is to not stop play when two balls appear and let the ball-boys/girls onto the pitch to retrieve them.

At times it was frustrating last season as play was stopped because a ball had drifted 1yd onto the pitch about 40yd from any play. Pathetic

That would also negate fans throwing the extra balls on to halt play. Single ball slows down the play and allows the crowd to hold onto the ball, and the winning team to just casually meander to retrive the ball to further waste time

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 24 Oct 2006 15:04

John Madejski's Wallet ...
and the winning team to just casually meander to retrive the ball to further waste time

And their staff!! :evil:

Snowy

by Snowy » 24 Oct 2006 15:07

Huntley & Palmer The Premier League does not allow it to be used

It means that Sky have no time to show replays if the ball is constantly in play.

God forbid that the supporter in the ground would like to see fast flowing football.

Gloria Gooner
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gloria Gooner » 24 Oct 2006 15:18

Royal Lady On a related note, why are the ball boys/girls now having to stand behind the advertising boards? Is there some new legislation that they're not allowed in front of them. This seriously delays being able to get a ball, as they have to jump over the hoarding before being able to get the ball.

Apparently Sky run through the match frame by frame afterwards to make sure that the advertising isn't obstructed at any time. If it is in any way obscured, the club get fined.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 24 Oct 2006 15:43

John Madejski's Wallet
Huntley & Palmer I believe that when it was last allowed clubs took advantage of it too much, the opposition complained about the ditribution of balls to them. I certainly remember a good few instances of the referee asking the club officials to remove the balls due to multiple ones being on the pitch at throw-in and free kick scenarios

In which case the answer is to not stop play when two balls appear and let the ball-boys/girls onto the pitch to retrieve them.

At times it was frustrating last season as play was stopped because a ball had drifted 1yd onto the pitch about 40yd from any play. Pathetic

That would also negate fans throwing the extra balls on to halt play. Single ball slows down the play and allows the crowd to hold onto the ball, and the winning team to just casually meander to retrive the ball to further waste time

You should apply to be head of the FA, it would be even more of a farce than it is now

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 24 Oct 2006 16:51

Huntley & Palmer

You should apply to be head of the FA, it would be even more of a farce than it is now

Why is that a farce?? Some refs (those few with commone sense) do allow the ballboy to run on and grab the ball if its not interferring with play. I assume you're happy with the overthetop interpretations of the rules and the slow, slow pace of the single-ball system then??

Seems a perfectly reasonable idea to me.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 24 Oct 2006 16:59

Slow pace? I certainly don't want it to get any quicker! Having watched Coventry v Colchester last night, it looked like they were walking round the pitch

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 24 Oct 2006 17:01

Huntley & Palmer Slow pace? I certainly don't want it to get any quicker! Having watched Coventry v Colchester last night, it looked like they were walking round the pitch

Ok, slow-paced may have been the wrong word. But you have to admit it has been really frustrating this season when the other team has been timewasting towards the end of games when collecting the ball

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 24 Oct 2006 17:11

It's horses for courses, we did exactly the same against Utd when they equalised.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Oct 2006 17:25

Champions League allows multiball, So I hope the club have pencilled in a refresher course for the ball boys/girls this summer.