Robin Friday

184 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Dec 2006 18:23

The only player I have felt that way about in our colours was James Lambert. For that brief few months, for one so inexperienced, he was electrifying. Goddammit that was a waste.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 18 Dec 2006 18:41

Royal Rother The only player I have felt that way about in our colours was James Lambert. For that brief few months, for one so inexperienced, he was electrifying. Goddammit that was a waste.

Correct RR, would be second for me in a natural player that I have seen play for RFC.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Dec 2006 19:07

By a wonderful quirk of fate, coincidence, call it what you will, Drogba's (spit) goal against Everton yesterday approaches RF's goal v Tranmere. Drogba (spit) was further out but pretty much central to the goal, whereas RF was on the corner of the penalty area with his back to goal when he collected the ball on his chest, half swivelled and then volleyed the ball sort of over his shoulder as he was turning (if you see what I mean). The ball dipped and swerved and rifled into the opposite top corner of the goal.

The whole ground was silent for what seemed like a second, no one realising quite what they had seen, before the place erupted.

For those of you who never saw him play, and are "dissing" him, (I believe that is the current phrase?), you are talking out of the hole in your arse. End of.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 18 Dec 2006 19:12

strap
The whole ground was silent for what seemed like a second, no one realising quite what they had seen, before the place erupted.

I was (one of the no doubt now 50,000! who claim to be) there and while I don't recall the details of the goal, that split second silence of disblief from the faithful before the cheer went up stuck with me.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 18 Dec 2006 19:31

The only people who say that Robin Friday (who, in the words of the song 'walked on water') was the most charismatic, iconic and naturally gifted player they have ever seen are those who saw him play.

As good as George Best? Probably not. Good enough for the top division? Absolutely! Good enough for England? Certainly. Someone who messed up the God-given talent he had for the sake of a few beers and drugs? Unfortunately yes.

When it was obviou that he was going, it was clear that his reputation had gone before him and none of the big clubs would touch him. Cardiff (then in div 2) took a chance on him, which backfired on them when he went walkabout once too often.

I feel privileged to have watched RF play and feel sorry for those people who didn't and are saying stuff like 'he wasn't really that good' etc. As someone wrote above, he could have played at any level he wanted to. We should feel blessed that he wanted to play for us.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Dec 2006 19:44

SWLR
strap

I was (one of the no doubt now 50,000! who claim to be) there and while I don't recall the details of the goal, that split second silence of disblief from the faithful before the cheer went up stuck with me.

Official crowd was 10,961, which was prety good for us in those days! We actually got over 15,500 for our next home game v. Graham Taylor's Lincoln City!

Found a bit more ....

From Alan Sedunary Memory Lane prog v Port Vale 31/03/79

31/03/76 - ELM PARK'S GREATEST GOAL!
Few of the 10,961 fans lucky enough to be at Elm Park three years ago will need to be told any more than "Reading 5, Tranmere O", to bring back memories of one of Reading's best League performances in recent years. The two sides were fighting for promotion and produced a classis battle for an hour with Reading a little flattered with a two goal lead, both from John Murray penalty kicks. Tranmere were getting right back into the game and only a great defensive display, with John Turner and Steve Hetzke outstanding, had kept them at bay. Just when the visitors looked as if they might pull a goal back they were destroyed by a moment of sheer magic. A long clearance dropped towards Robin Friday. In one movement he trapped the ball at head height and volleyed it into the roof of the net from 25 yards. World Cup referee Clive Thomas held his head in amazement while a national daily paper described it as "the goal of the season — or any other season". For Reading it was probably the most important goal in their promotion season since they rarely faultered in the promotion run in. They certainly never faultered against Tranmere and John Murray went on to complete his hat-trick with a typical blockbuster while Friday rounded off the scoring.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: Robin Friday

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Dec 2006 19:59

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo Mentioned often around these boards, and by the looks rightly so. A legend at Reading.

Being one who is more young than old, I wasn't lucky enough to see him in action or know how he played. Just wondering, what did actually make THE Robin Friday so special? Is he comparable to the current Reading forwards? How?

He was a low-life p*ss-head t*sser who happened to be very good at football but threw away his God-given talent.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Dec 2006 20:07

As a kid at the time I not only remember him for his incredible footballing skills and showmanship but also the fact that he was always willing to stop for a chat and to sign autographs.

I'm pleased to say I have quite a few of his autographs safely tucked away.

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 18 Dec 2006 20:27

John Madejski's Wallet
readingfc_4_life_and_beyo Mentioned often around these boards, and by the looks rightly so. A legend at Reading.

Being one who is more young than old, I wasn't lucky enough to see him in action or know how he played. Just wondering, what did actually make THE Robin Friday so special? Is he comparable to the current Reading forwards? How?

He was a low-life p*ss-head t*sser who happened to be very good at football but threw away his God-given talent.

Are we still talking about James Lambert?!

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Dec 2006 20:39

Rich@Eaststand
John Madejski's Wallet

Are we still talking about James Lambert?!

Can't comment on him, but I've never hidden my dislike of Friday.

(Admittedly I got it drummed into me by family)

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Dec 2006 20:46

John Madejski's Wallet

You write as though you knew him very well! If that is the case, you've missed out the bits of how he would stand around for hours talking to the fans, signing autographs and generally being an all round top bloke supporters could very easily relate to.

I believe Liverpulians would have called him a "scallywag", if that makes him a low-life p*ss-head t*sser in your eyes, then so be it. However, I think Charlie Hurley's assessment of him is a damn sight more accurate and objective than your blinkered rant. I would imagine that when you have cheated death by an inch or two, literally, you would probably live every day pretty much as though it was your last. Seeing as the only person he ever screwed up was himself, I would tend to side on the "each to their own" motto.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 18 Dec 2006 20:46

Petercccccc From what i know he scored one truly amazing goal, but no video evidence to prove it, and was a drunken voilent yob. Could be completely wrong though.

Sounds a bit like Leroy Lita, doesn't it???

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Dec 2006 21:10

strap You write as though you knew him very well! If that is the case, you've missed out the bits of how he would stand around for hours talking to the fans, signing autographs and generally being an all round top bloke supporters could very easily relate to.

I believe Liverpulians would have called him a "scallywag", if that makes him a low-life p*ss-head t*sser in your eyes, then so be it. However, I think Charlie Hurley's assessment of him is a damn sight more accurate and objective than your blinkered rant. I would imagine that when you have cheated death by an inch or two, literally, you would probably live every day pretty much as though it was your last. Seeing as the only person he ever screwed up was himself, I would tend to side on the "each to their own" motto.

Take off those rtgs mate. He was barred from most pubs in Reading for a damned good reason. Hence the family dislike as he was barred from at least one of our pubs. He was an arrogant, nasty piece of work.

A scallywag?? Is that how we class all the p*ssed-up, rude scummers nowadays?

Signing autographs for the kids and the fans. I'll tip my hat to him for hat as it's more than most of the primadonnas will do nowadays

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 18 Dec 2006 22:12

[quote="Royal Rother"][i]Coincidentally, the single cover is also one of my all time favourites. It features footballer Robin Friday. The inside notes read: “This record is dedicated to the memory of Robin Friday, 1952 to 1990, and his stand against the ‘Man’.â€

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 18 Dec 2006 22:19

[quote="rotherwick_royal"][quote="Royal Rother"][i]Coincidentally, the single cover is also one of my all time favourites. It features footballer Robin Friday. The inside notes read: “This record is dedicated to the memory of Robin Friday, 1952 to 1990, and his stand against the ‘Man’.â€

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 19 Dec 2006 05:28

I was lucky enough to see Friday play on a few occasions although I never saw the Tranmere goal and I would only have been around seven or eight at the time. But I can remember that his presence was awesome. My Dad and brother (both older than me, particularly my Dad) say he was the best talent they ever saw play for Reading.

I am with Royal Rother that in terms of god given talent James Lambert had it all. Darius Dobcheck (spelling wrong I know) is the best player I have ever seen for Reading but, in terms of sheer untapped ability I would go for Lambert and Friday.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 19 Dec 2006 08:08

never heard of him!! :!:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 19 Dec 2006 09:23

I find comparing James Lambert with Robin Friday as a little odd. :shock:

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 19 Dec 2006 11:30

Lambert had some natty skills , fairly wild hair and poss a bit of a naughty boy and early hopes dashed as he faded from view.Thats about where the comparison stops.On pure raw talent and abilty to dominant a game of football singlehandedly neither Lambert or indeed anyone has ever come near RF.
Another mention from the book was in his early days as a youngster Robin played 5 a side at his local sports center and these matches were attended by a large number who came soley to watch this mecurial talent perform. One is left to wonder if the right person had managed to take the young Robin under their wing at that early stage and gently mentored him what may have been.
One things for sure unlike Beckham there would will be no Robin Friday perfume on the market this Christmas.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 19 Dec 2006 11:43

stale Tennants Super ... ?

184 posts