800k fee agreed for Michael Duberry

287 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Jan 2007 17:36

I like the way we've done business in this transfer window. We seem to have taken our time with negotiations, assessed the options and then moved in with minimal fuss.

windjammer
Location: Now living down in Cornwall, but missing the Royals

by windjammer » 31 Jan 2007 17:36

Big Ern
Stranded
southbank1871
Stranded
YoungRoyal Does anyone think we will sign someone else as well as Duberry today?

Yes or possibly no.

I reckon we probably will, but then again we might not.

But if we don't, I reckon we won't - but if we do, we probably will.

What are you on about. :roll: Only only 2 possible outcomes, Yes, No or maybe

Deal or No Deal?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Jan 2007 17:55

From Despair To Where? I like the way we've done business in this transfer window. We seem to have taken our time with negotiations, assessed the options and then moved in with minimal fuss.

Agreed......................probably more activity than most of us expected but some very impressive acquisitions.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 31 Jan 2007 18:01

done deal

blimey

and i thought it was a joke-now we have too many defenders
club is saying undisclosed fee

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 31 Jan 2007 18:05

Woodcote Royal
From Despair To Where? I like the way we've done business in this transfer window. We seem to have taken our time with negotiations, assessed the options and then moved in with minimal fuss.

Agreed......................probably more activity than most of us expected but some very impressive acquisitions.

Most definately, I never expected this many signings (5 this month). We've got that strength in depth in defence now that we desparately needed, and shouldn't need to go playing plaers out of position anymore.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 31 Jan 2007 18:06

KC Royal Not really sure about this.

I think his Premiership days may be behind him, and he's not a "typical Reading signing" ie young, wants to prove himself, and is likely to improve etc etc. Plus he wasn't our first choice, with the 3m bid for Barnett being turned down.

Sounds to me like we're getting a bit desperate when I think having signed Bennett and Halford we've now got decent cover in defence.

I saw an article with Halford from last season where he states his best position is midfield and not defence so perhaps he has been bought with a view to put pressure on the midfield or is he Sidwell's replacement for next season?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jan 2007 18:06

Yet again we get the 'undisclosed fee' nonsense.

Either every club we deal with is keen to keep things quiet (not likely since Colchester dropped a damn big hint and someone at Stoke appears to have done likewise with the Duberry fee) or it is something that RFC are insisting on. Methinks it's the latter.

Can someone please direct me to the thread that carried a press interview with a senior person at RFC (I think it was Sir Steve but may have been the chairman itself) where they stated that in order to drive backhanders etc. out of the game it was important that all details of transfers, including fees were fully transparent?!

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 31 Jan 2007 18:13

2 world wars, 1 world cup Deal done.

God bless Fisherman's Friend.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~973891,00.html

Michael's a Fisherman
Michael's a Fisherman
Michael's a Fisherman
Michael's a Fisherman
Last edited by ShrewsandRoyals on 31 Jan 2007 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 31 Jan 2007 18:13

The discussions took a while - I wonder if it was because Duberry was holding out for 2 and a half years?

But right he only signs for one and a half. If he turns into a legend we can extend the deal.

John Peel

by John Peel » 31 Jan 2007 18:17

Just spotted this on the Stoke message board. Ah well, he's only been brought in as cover I suppose. Be good competition for Bikey too.

If the fee is £800,000, I think this is a quality deal for us. Fair play Doobs has been solid this season, but we all know he has his dodgy games, and his distribution is piss poor. He is 31, and only has 6 months left on his deal. Good deal if you ask me!!!

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 31 Jan 2007 18:20

I may have got this totally wrong but haven't we just signed three central defenders, making this seasons total up to 5 + Sonko, Ivar and Pearce??

Harold

by Harold » 31 Jan 2007 18:21

Good to see an ex-Chelsea player at Reading.

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 31 Jan 2007 18:21

RoyalBlue Yet again we get the 'undisclosed fee' nonsense.

Either every club we deal with is keen to keep things quiet (not likely since Colchester dropped a damn big hint and someone at Stoke appears to have done likewise with the Duberry fee) or it is something that RFC are insisting on. Methinks it's the latter.

Can someone please direct me to the thread that carried a press interview with a senior person at RFC (I think it was Sir Steve but may have been the chairman itself) where they stated that in order to drive backhanders etc. out of the game it was important that all details of transfers, including fees were fully transparent?!

When Coppell spoke about disclosing all transfer fees it was in regard to disclosure to an independent body set up to oversee transfers. He never said disclosure to the world in general.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 31 Jan 2007 18:32

windjammer
Big Ern
Stranded
southbank1871
Stranded
YoungRoyal Does anyone think we will sign someone else as well as Duberry today?

Yes or possibly no.

I reckon we probably will, but then again we might not.

But if we don't, I reckon we won't - but if we do, we probably will.

What are you on about. :roll: Only only 2 possible outcomes, Yes, No or maybe

Deal or No Deal?

I'll do a sweep before I anwser that.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 31 Jan 2007 18:39

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 31 Jan 2007 18:47

Duuuuuuuubes!!!

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 31 Jan 2007 18:59

M4 Junction 11

Out of all the additions we have made to the squad it is this one that worries me the most. Its good to see SC bolster the defence and the experience should prove valuable but this is the first 'older' type player to join us since the Keown/Ferdinand experiment. Our squad is all about low-profile players who work well together and get on. The new signings all appear to be in that mould...except for Duberry. I hope it works.

Forty

by Forty » 31 Jan 2007 19:16

He's hardly old like Keown and Ferdinand - he's 31!

More worrying I reckon is 800k and only a 1.5 year deal.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Jan 2007 19:17

Berkshire Born
M4 Junction 11

Out of all the additions we have made to the squad it is this one that worries me the most. Its good to see SC bolster the defence and the experience should prove valuable but this is the first 'older' type player to join us since the Keown/Ferdinand experiment. Our squad is all about low-profile players who work well together and get on. The new signings all appear to be in that mould...except for Duberry. I hope it works.

If it doesn't , what have we lost apart from the fee and wages (a lot of money to most of us but rather small change in Premiership terms)

I can't see what there is about this deal that gives serious for concern..............................yesterday we had limited cover at centre back now we have people saying we have too much :roll:

Ollie Kearns is in Buxton
Location: Near the source of the UK's No 1 Natural Mineral Water

by Ollie Kearns is in Buxton » 31 Jan 2007 19:28

Unlike most of SCs siginings, he seems quite likely to go straight in the 1st team on Sat - and not many of us would be unhappy with that prospect, given current circ's.

That makes it in terms of fee, etc rather unique when compared to the our usual type of signing and as such should not be compared directly.

As otherz have said, any Points contribution by Mr D is worth £'s in terms of Prem places and if he doesn't fit in, we'll always be able to recoup some of the fee in the Summer.

The mkts a feeding frenzy at the mo...it a seller's mkt, so they'll always be the happier in terms of the £'s side of things...itz definitely good bizzness for Stoke (off the pitch at least).

287 posts