800k fee agreed for Michael Duberry

287 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Jan 2007 20:07

Seeing Bikey last night and at Birmingham there is no way that he could continue there in the Premiership so we had to get somebody who could play straight away.

Sodje is obviously now not thought to be up to the job
Bennett could not be expected to come from the Irish League straight into the Premiership
Brown has gone to Cork
Pearce is a young lad maybe with a future but not a present
Sonko looks like being out for some time
DLC and Halford are not centre-backs.

So the signing of an experienced defender was a must and he may be limited but Duberry won't be phased by playing at this level.
BTW we need to get used to having a lot of players-we are a Premiership club and that is what Premier clubs have,not make-shift central defenders.
Well done to all concerned at the club for acknowledging that they made mistakes with Sodje and Halls but have done something to rectify those mistakes.

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 31 Jan 2007 22:52

Dunno if this has been posted anywhere else as can't be bothered to read 11 pages but here's a couple of views from the stoke website

'800k is an excellent piece of business, we should snap that hand off no matter how well he's been playing this season. A fee of that much for a player out of contract in 5 months - excellent! Coppell has a screw loose somewhere!'

'Regarding Doobs, good business all round if he goes, Doobs adds a presence to the team even if he is not as quick as he was in years gone by, he uses his experience. The reason why Coppell would be paying this sort of money is because Sonko is out for a fair while, and if Reading are serious about qualifying for Europe next season, then 800k is a fair price to pay, how much could a club expect to pay for a proven centre back on a 1 or 2 year contract at another club?'

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 31 Jan 2007 23:06

Just in case any of the youngsters don't remember:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1613454.stm

Put in a very difficult position, and one of the reasons why he left Leeds (IMHO).

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 31 Jan 2007 23:12

A big welcome to Michael from this part of Reading. He is a lucky man, he will now be working with a great set of lads who will support him 100%.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 31 Jan 2007 23:40

Victor Meldrew Seeing Bikey last night and at Birmingham there is no way that he could continue there in the Premiership so we had to get somebody who could play straight away.

Sodje is obviously now not thought to be up to the job
Bennett could not be expected to come from the Irish League straight into the Premiership
Brown has gone to Cork
Pearce is a young lad maybe with a future but not a present
Sonko looks like being out for some time
DLC and Halford are not centre-backs.

So the signing of an experienced defender was a must and he may be limited but Duberry won't be phased by playing at this level.
BTW we need to get used to having a lot of players-we are a Premiership club and that is what Premier clubs have,not make-shift central defenders.
Well done to all concerned at the club for acknowledging that they made mistakes with Sodje and Halls but have done something to rectify those mistakes.

What what ? I missed this....

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Feb 2007 00:17

Forty He's hardly old like Keown and Ferdinand - he's 31!

More worrying I reckon is 800k and only a 1.5 year deal.

If you want to look at it from a money perspective, then the Utd Cup game will pay for him and Bennett

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 01 Feb 2007 00:22

Ollie Kearns is in Buxton Unlike most of SCs siginings, he seems quite likely to go straight in the 1st team on Sat - and not many of us would be unhappy with that prospect, given current circ's.

That makes it in terms of fee, etc rather unique when compared to the our usual type of signing and as such should not be compared directly.

As otherz have said, any Points contribution by Mr D is worth £'s in terms of Prem places and if he doesn't fit in, we'll always be able to recoup some of the fee in the Summer.

The mkts a feeding frenzy at the mo...it a seller's mkt, so they'll always be the happier in terms of the £'s side of things...itz definitely good bizzness for Stoke (off the pitch at least).

I agree....Duberry is immediate cover having played recent games, previously played at this level before.....so i suspect he will play saturday or the next game...not sure if he is cup-tied though.......

Bennett, i think hasnt played since November, so probably wont figure straight away until he is at least match fit........but he and Halford are the ones for the future.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 01 Feb 2007 00:22

ShrewsandRoyals
That Friday Feeling
ShrewsandRoyals
brendywendy thats better, back to the bat turkeys
enough of this duberry nonsense

If you crossed a Bat with Duberry would you get a Bat erry?

That joke fell a bit flat

Just thought that I'd bring some entertainment to such a highly charged thread.

Ohmigod, these revolting puns are currently hampering the thread.

I am suprised there was so little resistance to them

(see what I did there...)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Feb 2007 00:23

Forty He's hardly old like Keown and Ferdinand - he's 31!

More worrying I reckon is 800k and only a 1.5 year deal.

Exactly - 31 is young/ok for a centre back.

Nothing like Keown.

On top form at the moment.

A very wise signing indeed.

Well done NH/SC.

Fubar
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Fubar » 01 Feb 2007 00:48

TheLawnMowerMan Just in case any of the youngsters don't remember:

Put in a very difficult position, and one of the reasons why he left Leeds (IMHO).

He'll come in very handy for when Lita needs an alibi.. :wink:

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 01 Feb 2007 00:57

Fubar

ALOL

But when you read what he says about it...his instinct was to help a mate/colleague...but when it came down to it, he went for honesty, truth and doing the right thing. Got to respect the guy for that.
Morals and decency- I think he will fit right in, a welcome addition to the team.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 01 Feb 2007 01:05

exileinleeds
Fubar

ALOL

But when you read what he says about it...his instinct was to help a mate/colleague...but when it came down to it, he went for honesty, truth and doing the right thing. Got to respect the guy for that.
Morals and decency- I think he will fit right in, a welcome addition to the team.

Agreed

I look forward to seeing him lining up in the first team.

Fezza

by Fezza » 01 Feb 2007 02:15

Gav
exileinleeds
Fubar

ALOL

Agreed

I look forward to seeing him lining up in the first team.

Can't wait till the Boro game! That's Woodgate and Riggott who need to get done by Hunty!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Feb 2007 08:09

ddetisi Dunno if this has been posted anywhere else as can't be bothered to read 11 pages but here's a couple of views from the stoke website

'800k is an excellent piece of business, we should snap that hand off no matter how well he's been playing this season. A fee of that much for a player out of contract in 5 months - excellent! Coppell has a screw loose somewhere!'

No, Sonko had a cruciate ligament loose I'm afraid. Out for remainder of season according to BBC Radio Berks.

Club kept quiet/lied in order to try to keep transfer prices down. Didn't really work in this case as they had to meet the clause in Duberry's contract that allowed him to talk to us/be released.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 01 Feb 2007 09:01

exileinleeds
Fubar

ALOL

Yeah, grassed up his mate in court. I've got loads of respect for that.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Feb 2007 09:04

Maguire
exileinleeds
Fubar

ALOL

Yeah who needs morals and decency?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 01 Feb 2007 09:06

Barry the bird boggler
Maguire
exileinleeds
Fubar

ALOL

Yeah who needs morals and decency?

Mates > Police

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Feb 2007 09:07

Huntley & Palmer Looks lke Duberry, I think Sonko has a very serious injury if this is the case and we won't see him for the rest of the season.

DOOBS ON HIS WAY TO ROYALS
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list
1 reader has commented on this story. Click here to read their views.

09:40 - 31 January 2007
Stoke City were chasing an experienced Premiership defender today to replace skipper Michael Duberry ahead of tonight's transfer deadline.Reading have waved a substantial offer in front of Stoke to tempt them into releasing Duberry before the transfer window shuts at midnight.

But City will only do business if they can sign the player they have targeted as a direct replacement for their 31-year-old captain.

Stoke are under pressure to sell Duberry because he can walk away as a free agent when his contract expires in the summer.

His probable departure and subsequent replacement is likely to headline a potentially productive day's business for City manager Tony Pulis, who hasn't given up hope of adding to his current crop of goalkeepers and strikers.

Pace could be a problem. Still that never stopped Keith McPherson being an excellent player. So a thumbs up on this one overall.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 01 Feb 2007 09:32

Michael Duberry

Typical Reading signing?

I think not.

He'll do though..................

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Feb 2007 09:33

Gordons Cumming Michael Duberry

Typical Reading signing?

I think not.

He only misses out on the "young" part though.

287 posts