Team 'Strenghtening'...

Shaka's Giant Hands

Team 'Strenghtening'...

by Shaka's Giant Hands » 09 Feb 2007 08:03

Now that we are pretty sure that 'top flight' status has been secured for next season who would you like to see come to the Stad de la Mad?

I am thinking that there is always a large exodus of players from the clubs that go down and so would you be happy for any of them to head our way?

Personally I wouldn't turn down Scott Carson...not that I don't rate USA, just he has been far to inconsistant for my liking this season.

Anyone else's thoughts on who they would cherry pick, maybe say from Wigan, West Ham, Charlton, Watford and Sheff U?

G'La

by G'La » 09 Feb 2007 09:12

Heskey, Konchesky and that chap from Newcastle Sibierski

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Feb 2007 09:29

You can't pick names. Position wise we need to strengthen in the following areas if the correct personnel is availble

Goalkeeper to challenge Marcus, ideally between the age of 25-28 and has been a 1st choice at his club

Left back, possibly in his late 20's to cover Shorey and give him some competition.

Central midfielder, probably the hardest to fill. Ideally one who is creative and links up the play between defence and attack.

Left or Right winger. Someone to give Seol a kick up the arse, and replace Little in the next few seasons. Preferably between 20-23 and has been seen as a good prospect/starter at his current club.

That would be my shopping list.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 09 Feb 2007 09:30

We'll get Reo-Coker.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Feb 2007 09:43

Huntley & Palmer You can't pick names. Position wise we need to strengthen in the following areas if the correct personnel is availble

Goalkeeper to challenge Marcus, ideally between the age of 25-28 and has been a 1st choice at his club

Left back, possibly in his late 20's to cover Shorey and give him some competition.

Central midfielder, probably the hardest to fill. Ideally one who is creative and links up the play between defence and attack.

Left or Right winger. Someone to give Seol a kick up the arse, and replace Little in the next few seasons. Preferably between 20-23 and has been seen as a good prospect/starter at his current club.

surely we need a young understudy for shorey, no-one will want to come in at the peak of their career and play second fiddle to our nicky

G'La

by G'La » 09 Feb 2007 09:44

Huntley & Palmer You can't pick names. Position wise we need to strengthen in the following areas if the correct personnel is availble

Why cant you pick names? I like the sound of those three playing on the same pitch together!

De La is Shoreys competition, why waste money when we have a quality left back and someone whos done ok while covering.

With regards to the left and right flanks. Left we have Hunt and Convey so no need to add. Right we currently have Little and Seol but I personally feel we'll see Halford playing the right side soon. Plus that Aussie guy we've recently signed plays on the wing (not sure if he's left, right or both).

Central midfield is a must. It does look as if Sidwell is on his way out so I guess a midfield battler.

I dont think we'll see much transfer activity in the summer. 3 new signings at best.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Feb 2007 09:49

brendywendy

surely we need a young understudy for shorey, no-one will want to come in at the peak of their career and play second fiddle to our nicky

The only current youngster that plays left back and has a left boot is Bale who is being touted for £10 million. You aren't going to find a young left back for the sort of money we are talking

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Feb 2007 09:50

Huntley & Palmer You can't pick names.

Agreed, but

Huntley & Palmer Goalkeeper to challenge Marcus, ideally between the age of 25-28 and has been a 1st choice at his club

Craig Gordon will be leaving Hearts in the summer and I'd like us to be challenging for signiture

I'd agree with your other descriptions of players we need, although I might also add in a top draw centre half, but with Doobs and Bennett now signed I think it's unlikely.

A centre forward able to link midfield and attack would also be nice.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 09 Feb 2007 10:00

Craig Gordon will go to Celtic or Rangers... Celtic would be the favourites tho being that the already have Pressley and Hartley.

Fred Sharpe's Nose

Re: Team 'Strenghtening'...

by Fred Sharpe's Nose » 09 Feb 2007 10:03

Shaka's Giant Hands Anyone else's thoughts on who they would cherry pick, maybe say from Wigan, West Ham, Charlton, Watford and Sheff U?

Nobody from these teams. Bloody losers.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Feb 2007 10:04

bigmike Craig Gordon will go to Celtic or Rangers... Celtic would be the favourites tho being that the already have Pressley and Hartley.

I think he might end up going to a more established club than ours, but surely he has more ambition than to stay in Scotland?

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 09 Feb 2007 10:08

Leighton Baines
Kevin Nolan

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Feb 2007 11:12

Huntley & Palmer Central midfielder, probably the hardest to fill. Ideally one who is creative and links up the play between defence and attack.
I hear Steve Sidwell is available on a bosman in the summer, maybe we should try and sign him?

Petercccccc

by Petercccccc » 09 Feb 2007 11:13

Forbury Lion
Huntley & Palmer Central midfielder, probably the hardest to fill. Ideally one who is creative and links up the play between defence and attack.
I hear Steve Sidwell is available on a bosman in the summer, maybe we should try and sign him?

WCBAP.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 09 Feb 2007 11:16

Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy

The only current youngster that plays left back and has a left boot is Bale who is being touted for £10 million. You aren't going to find a young left back for the sort of money we are talking

We already have one - Golbourne.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 09 Feb 2007 11:20

I'd leave the goal keepers as we now have 4.

I've always rated Herman Hriedarsson and I would possibly look to bring him in as he can cover centre back and left back. I would ship out Osano, Sodje and Halls, but keep Pearce.

I'd leave the Midfield as Halford can cover and hopefully James Henry will come through. However if Sidwell leaves then we need to replace him with some major investment.

I'd leave the strikers as it is, as Shane Long and Leroy Lita have surprised me.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Feb 2007 11:32

readingbedding
Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy

i think that if the management believed him to be a realistic option at left back then we would not keep farming him out on loan to Wycombe.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 09 Feb 2007 11:46

Huntley & Palmer
readingbedding
Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy

i think that if the management believed him to be a realistic option at left back then we would not keep farming him out on loan to Wycombe.

He's a young left back, he's not even 19!
We don't need another one at this moment.

It would be really irresponsible if Coppell didn't loan him out.

He must be worth something to the Club as they see him as someone who has potential but requires 1st team matches, hence the loan to Wycombe.

If he was 26 odd years of age, then I would agree that the club possibly don't see a future for him.
But at 18, it's really important to blood potentially good players like Golbourne by sending them on loan, so they get the 1st team matches, and they don't stagnate.

With Golbourne, it's far too early to make assumptions that he cannot replace Shorey at some stage in the future.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Feb 2007 11:51

I just think that you wouldn't be playing DLC at left back if you had a left footed player that is natural in that position that was up to the job.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 09 Feb 2007 11:55

Huntley & Palmer I just think that you wouldn't be playing DLC at left back if you had a left footed player that is natural in that position that was up to the job.

He's obviously seen as too young and raw at this stage of his career.

He cannot be discounted in the future, just because he getting 1st team football at a League 2 side at the age of 18.