Charlie Hurley . Should Steve Coppell be worried?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 11 Mar 2007 20:30

Bruce Stuckey

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Charlie Hurley . Should Steve Coppell be worried?

by Vision » 11 Mar 2007 23:19

Dirk Gently
AthleticoSpizz Always will have a place in my heart....."Charlie Hurleys Blue and White Army"....the first time I heard that tune

So do I - just like you always remember with affection your first snog and your first shag, you always remember you first ".......'s Blue and White Army" in the same way!

Exactly the same for me.

He was the very first experience i had of Reading FC and also the first experience of success.

He is , i'm told, a top fella as well . I've seen a bit of him on TV but never had the privelidge of meeting him.

Either way, a huge part of my childhood and a man of great integrity , rather like the man we have at the helm currently.

I, for 1, would like to see people from our past voted for by fans turn up to draw our golden gamble just to remind us all of where we have come from.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Mar 2007 23:31

He was very definately alive a couple of seasons ago when we played Sunderland at the Stadium of Light; they had a half time presentation and Charlie Hurley was the guest of honour; the Reading fans gave him a great reception and he came down the pitch to salute us!

:D

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Mar 2007 23:36

Hurley Royals.

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 11 Mar 2007 23:56

I too started watching Reading during Charlie's reign.

"Maurice Evans blue and white army" never had the same ring to it. :wink:

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 12 Mar 2007 01:30

When I was a kid I always used to get Bruce Stuckey mixed up with Eamoon Dunphy and then when Stuart Beavon came along I became mightily confused as we had three players at around the same time who all had what could loosely be called 'blonde perms'.

I know this may sound an odd question but did anyone else ever notice Stuart Beavon's thighs? For a fairly small bloke they were absolutely massive and I'm fairly sure he used to shave his legs.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 12 Mar 2007 21:24

Charlie Hurley was the only man that had any kind on control over 'our Robin'.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Mar 2007 22:03

Mr Angry He was very definately alive a couple of seasons ago when we played Sunderland at the Stadium of Light; they had a half time presentation and Charlie Hurley was the guest of honour; the Reading fans gave him a great reception and he came down the pitch to salute us!

Thought so....but sure I read obitary for him a year or so ago....must've been instigated by a Magpie somewhere.

During these halcyonic days, an expenses paid VIP day trip to a Reading game now would be a decent thing to do for the old boy.......STAR, got any spare funds?

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 13 Mar 2007 10:14

AthleticoSpizz
Mr Angry He was very definately alive a couple of seasons ago when we played Sunderland at the Stadium of Light; they had a half time presentation and Charlie Hurley was the guest of honour; the Reading fans gave him a great reception and he came down the pitch to salute us!

Thought so....but sure I read obitary for him a year or so ago....must've been instigated by a Magpie somewhere.

During these halcyonic days, an expenses paid VIP day trip to a Reading game now would be a decent thing to do for the old boy.......STAR, got any spare funds?

I don't think he's that old. Very early 70's at most.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 13 Mar 2007 10:32

Cripple Creek I know this may sound an odd question but did anyone else ever notice Stuart Beavon's thighs? For a fairly small bloke they were absolutely massive and I'm fairly sure he used to shave his legs.

Looking at mens' legs now, CC? No doubt about it, you're gay.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 Mar 2007 10:43

LUX Bruce Stuckey

Scored direct from a corner in a 2-2 at Brentford, only game I was close to getting a slap at.

Feisty times then, I think Cumming also got sent of for a fight in that match.

Charlie Hurley left during the 5 goal home thrashing by Bury, I think he quit at HT, was in the Sports Post that same evening, those were the days, waiting for 6-30 to get the paper toread about the first half of the game, and a second half snippet. none of this internet stuff then.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 Mar 2007 10:49

Cripple Creek got Eammon Dunphy and Bruce Stuckey mixed up!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then Stuart Beavon .........................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tee hee.

Fred Sharpe's Nose

by Fred Sharpe's Nose » 13 Mar 2007 11:04

The 17 Bus Charlie Hurley left during the 5 goal home thrashing by Bury, I think he quit at HT, was in the Sports Post that same evening, those were the days, waiting for 6-30 to get the paper toread about the first half of the game, and a second half snippet. none of this internet stuff then.

I really miss that too - another sad effect of "progress"...

(Is the evening results paper dead nationwide? They used to have a pink one in Liverpool...)

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 Mar 2007 11:17

Fred Sharpe's Nose
The 17 Bus Charlie Hurley left during the 5 goal home thrashing by Bury, I think he quit at HT, was in the Sports Post that same evening, those were the days, waiting for 6-30 to get the paper toread about the first half of the game, and a second half snippet. none of this internet stuff then.

(Is the evening results paper dead nationwide? They used to have a pink one in Liverpool...)

Nope theres one in the Midlands still, got one in services on way baack from Leicester last season.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 13 Mar 2007 11:55

The 17 Bus
LUX Bruce Stuckey

Scored direct from a corner in a 2-2 at Brentford, only game I was close to getting a slap at.

Feisty times then, I think Cumming also got sent of for a fight in that match.

Charlie Hurley left during the 5 goal home thrashing by Bury, I think he quit at HT, was in the Sports Post that same evening, those were the days, waiting for 6-30 to get the paper toread about the first half of the game, and a second half snippet. none of this internet stuff then.

Age may be addling my brain, but I thought he quit after/during a home stuffing by Northampton (I thought that's where I heard the first rendition of Maurice Evans' Blue and White Army)

Also the Stuckey equaliser at Brentford - I knew that it was going in - we never lost to Brentford. Griffin Park was, and is, one of my favourite grounds - I remember the first time I went there wishing we had a ground like that!!

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 Mar 2007 11:58

Well right club wrong match Reading 1-3 Bury 26-02-1977 , listed as leaving the day after that game.

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 13 Mar 2007 12:58

Norfolk Royal
Row Z Royal
Cripple Creek Charlie was manager when I first started supporting Reading. He is also credited with discovering a certain Robin Friday which makes him part of the folklore of the Biscuitmen as we then were.

I read "The Greatest Player Never To Play For England" - cracking read about the poor man's George Best.

Haven't read that one. I've read ' The Greatest Player You Never Saw,' though.

Who was the one you read about? Sounds interesting.

Lets get the title right eh!

buy it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Footba ... 312&sr=8-1

im reading it at the moment and its fantastic.

bagman

by bagman » 13 Mar 2007 17:03

Charley Hurley, what a man. Only good part of the game was half time when the Reading team came back out onto the pitch and huddled together in the pouring rain - think it was 3-0 to Bury at that stage. By all accounts Charley got down the tunnel first, and massive guy that he was blocked the dressing room door to prevent anyone going. As the players turned up he said youve just got me the sack , now f*** off back out there. And off they trooped.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 13 Mar 2007 23:11

Bagman that is a genuinely great Elm Park story. Thanks for that. I'm going to send it to my old man. He'll love it. Ta again.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Mar 2007 10:19

The 17 Bus
Fred Sharpe's Nose

Nope theres one in the Midlands still, got one in services on way baack from Leicester last season.

Those were the days - there were some great cock-ups because of the production deadlines. You'd have 90% of the report covering the fisrt half-only, and often a last minute goal wouldn't be reported at all. Sometimes the headline and first paragraphs even talked about a different result from the actual one.