The irony of it all.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

The irony of it all.

by londinium » 20 Mar 2007 11:08

We have 8 games left to battle and scrap to see if we can get a European place for next season.

Whereas Watford need to win 1 game and then they will more than likely be in Europe as I fully expect Chelsea to beat Blackburn in the semis.

I know the '1 game' they have to win is obviously a hard game but I will be mighty pee'd off if they get into Europe after playing Stockport, Wet Sham, Dipswich and Plymouth to reach where they are and we will have had 38 hard games to get there.

I guess it is sour grapes but it still irks with me.
Last edited by londinium on 20 Mar 2007 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

When Hicks went up...

Re: The irony off it all.

by When Hicks went up... » 20 Mar 2007 11:12

londinium We have 8 games left to battle and scrap to see if we can get a European place for next season.

Whereas Watford need to win 1 game and then they will more than likely be in Europe as I fully expect Chelsea to beat Blackburn in the semis.

I know the '1 game' they have to win is obviously a hard game but I will be mighty pee'd off if they get into Europe after playing Stockport, Wet Sham, Dipswich and Plymouth to reach where they are and we will have had 38 hard games to get there.

Where's the irony?

You are Alanis Morisette, and I claim my five pounds...

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 20 Mar 2007 11:14

The irony OFF it all?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 20 Mar 2007 11:18

What do you REALLY want? Another season in the Premiership, or a season scrapping on the Championship play-off fringes and getting knocked out in the 1st round of the UEFA Cup??

No contest Londinium!! No contest!

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 20 Mar 2007 11:19

When Hicks went up...
londinium We have 8 games left to battle and scrap to see if we can get a European place for next season.

Where's the irony?

yeh but isn't it ironic.....don't you think?

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 20 Mar 2007 11:20

When Hicks went up...

Where's the irony?

Maybe 'Irony' is not the correct word and I should have used the word 'reality' but I do tend to find black flies in my Chardonnay, so you may well be right.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 20 Mar 2007 11:22

strap What do you REALLY want? Another season in the Premiership, or a season scrapping on the Championship play-off fringes and getting knocked out in the 1st round of the UEFA Cup??

I am not saying I would want to change places with them one bit, but maybe the runners up spot shouldn't provide a UEFA place if the winners are already in Europe, and the place should go to the leauge position straight away.

Point in case being Millwall.

rotherwick_royal

Re: The irony of it all.

by rotherwick_royal » 20 Mar 2007 11:28

well they've got to get past Man U which we couldn't. When you think about the run-in (Boro, Watford) that we could have had then Wembley would have really been beckoning. Mind you Boro away would have been tough and we couldn't beat Watford earlier in the season.

Doyler

by Doyler » 20 Mar 2007 11:53

londinium
strap What do you REALLY want? Another season in the Premiership, or a season scrapping on the Championship play-off fringes and getting knocked out in the 1st round of the UEFA Cup??

I am not saying I would want to change places with them one bit, but maybe the runners up spot shouldn't provide a UEFA place if the winners are already in Europe, and the place should go to the leauge position straight away.

Point in case being Millwall.
Don't you mean case in point :wink: I have no problem with Watford's cup run, the FA cup draw is random and they have beaten what was put in front of them. Good luck to them, I'd rather be in our position than theirs, give me the choice of a run in the cup, european football but a return to the championship or Premiership football pushing for a european place and no cup run, and I'll take the latter every time. Where we are now will be much more beneficial to us than anything Watford can achieve will be for them. £40m for staying in the Premiership will be very very useful for us.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 20 Mar 2007 11:55

I don't begrudge Watford anything, their fans need some sort of day out after watching an entire season of Boothroyd's brand of football. Plain awful

Trigger

by Trigger » 20 Mar 2007 11:58

I agree with you and even though Coppell's right about our squad being incapable of challenging in Europe, I'd bloody LOVE to see Reading in the UEFA Cup.

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 20 Mar 2007 12:21

londinium
When Hicks went up...

Where's the irony?

Maybe 'Irony' is not the correct word and I should have used the word 'reality' but I do tend to find black flies in my Chardonnay, so you may well be right.

irony does seem like the right word to use

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 20 Mar 2007 12:33

Trigger I agree with you and even though Coppell's right about our squad being incapable of challenging in Europe, I'd bloody LOVE to see Reading in the UEFA Cup.

Keegan, rant over. LOVE IT :wink:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Mar 2007 13:09

Watford have about as much chance of beating United in the semi as Hob Nob FC would have.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The irony of it all.

by Scarface » 20 Mar 2007 13:15

Had we fielded our strongest team we might be in the same position. I don't get the irony ?

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 20 Mar 2007 13:17

floyd__streete Watford have about as much chance of beating United in the semi as Hob Nob FC would have.

Probably true expect the latter would make some sort of effort to turn up and perform.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Mar 2007 13:22

Trigger I agree with you and even though Coppell's right about our squad being incapable of challenging in Europe, I'd bloody LOVE to see Reading in the UEFA Cup.

Yeah a couple of nights getting into difficulties in a far flung ex Soviet republic would be terrific

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 20 Mar 2007 15:23

to get to wembley and possibly Europe Watford will have to do what Boro, Villa nor ourselves have done, beat Man Utd

Uncle Andy

by Uncle Andy » 20 Mar 2007 15:52

When Hicks went up...

Where's the irony?

Alanis Morisette is God

M27Royal

by M27Royal » 20 Mar 2007 22:27

Alanis Morisette is God

To be fair - 1 great album followed by 10 years of not a lot hardly meets the job requirements!!