Martin Hicks marking Pele

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

Martin Hicks marking Pele

by Cripple Creek » 04 Apr 2007 03:22

I've just been unpacking some stuff from the UK into our new house in Australia and I came across the David Downs book on Reading's hundred greatest players. I was astonished to discover that Hicks once played in some kind of England veterans team against another international veterans team and he marked Pele. Did anyone see this match or know where I could get any more info about it? Ta.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 04 Apr 2007 08:39

I cant recall that one but notworthy for sure.Hicks was a great servant for the club and must have close to legendary status for his seeming zillion and a half appearances at center back through good times and bad.
Unfortunately although many good memories of Hicksy one that sticks in my mind was during a particularly bad phase when we couldnt string more that 2 passes together(Joselyn in the team I believe) the big mans defensive clearances were "hoofs" that went so high that the proverbial snow came down with the ball. The collective south bank wit chanted "Higher" every time he made a clearance.This seems to have stuck with me :wink:
I hope he swapped the shirt with Pele as he would have had the rest of the great man in his pocket .

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 04 Apr 2007 13:14

I remember the Hicksy hoof - some of us were trying to calculate his transfer value in the (even then) over inflated market and basically added on £1million for each "cultured clearance".

By the end of the season I think he was up to around £20million

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 04 Apr 2007 13:17

He's here,
he's there,
he's everyfingwhere,
Martin Hicks, Martin Hicks

A legend and a bloody nice bloke but unfortunately in his last few years his heaad seemed to grow into the shape of an anvil as he could no longer head the ball in the direction he wanted it to go.

This may be harsh though given the effort put in for the cause over many years.

Garrincha

by Garrincha » 04 Apr 2007 14:08

I think it had more to do with the fact Hicksy had his jaw broken and had to have it wired- maybe they wired his head in the shape of an anvil! if I recall correctly it was 1985/6 season and the culprit was Futcher who broke it??

Tosser! (Futcher that is)

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 04 Apr 2007 14:16

Unfortunately I may have called Hicksie a tosser or a lot worse a few times in his last couple of seasons with us....!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Apr 2007 18:49

higher I cant recall that one but notworthy for sure.Hicks was a great servant for the club and must have close to legendary status for his seeming zillion and a half appearances at center back through good times and bad.
Unfortunately although many good memories of Hicksy one that sticks in my mind was during a particularly bad phase when we couldnt string more that 2 passes together(Joselyn in the team I believe) the big mans defensive clearances were "hoofs" that went so high that the proverbial snow came down with the ball. The collective south bank wit chanted "Higher" every time he made a clearance.This seems to have stuck with me :wink:
I hope he swapped the shirt with Pele as he would have had the rest of the great man in his pocket .

Aha, I had wondered what your name meant. Just goes to show I'm a relative plastic! :oops:

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 04 Apr 2007 20:19

Could Hicksy have cleared East Stand roof at Madejski, I wonder? :)

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 04 Apr 2007 20:43

Of course, in fact there are a couple of footballs launched by Hicks that are still orbiting the Earth.

size 12

by size 12 » 04 Apr 2007 21:02

When Hicks
Went Up
To Get the Simod Cup
We Were There, We Were There

Hands up those who thought Reading would never ever surpass that Wembley day?

Rudolph Hucker

by Rudolph Hucker » 04 Apr 2007 21:41

For nearly nineteen years that day at Wembley has been the greatest day of my life. The way we played and the way we ripped apart a very good Luton team was the stuff that dreams are made of, particularly considering the decidedly average form in the league that season.

The last couple of seasons has seen several occasions that run that day close and now we are shoulder to shoulder with the elite of English football. It's hard to fathom that we are disappointed with a 1-0 defeat at Spurs or a 2-1 defeat at Arsenal!!

Perhaps the only thing that will surpass that glorious day back in '88 will be a trip to the new Wembley and lifting one of the 'proper' cups. The fact that this isn't such an impossibilty nowadays shows how far we've come.

by If you still hate Futcher » 05 Apr 2007 12:16

Mr Optimist He's here,
he's there,
he's everyfingwhere,

Later changed to

He's here,
He's there,
We're not allowed to swear,

at the behest of the great man himself

Garrincha I think it had more to do with the fact Hicksy had his jaw broken and had to have it wired- maybe they wired his head in the shape of an anvil! if I recall correctly it was 1985/6 season and the culprit was Futcher who broke it??

Hence my username

If you still hate Futcher clap your hands
still hate Futcher

Who says I should move on

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 05 Apr 2007 13:42

The whole Futcher family were a bunch of thugs. His brother Paul IIRC was also sent off at EP a couple of seasons later (although to be fair there was a slight exaggeration from our player!)

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 05 Apr 2007 13:51

Martin Hicks' mode of transport was a red Vauxhall Cavalier estate with the proud legend 'Sponsored by Contact cars' on the drivers door. The good old days- when RFC player earnings were on a par with odd weathermen from Exeter. Which is ironic as the Hicksy hoof was known to disturb the odd Meteorological Satellite.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 05 Apr 2007 16:36

Garrincha I think it had more to do with the fact Hicksy had his jaw broken and had to have it wired- maybe they wired his head in the shape of an anvil! if I recall correctly it was 1985/6 season and the culprit was Futcher who broke it??

Didn't Rotherham's Daral Pugh also break Hicksies jaw it the year before, seem to remember that when we beat Rotherham 2-1 in 1986 they had Pugh sent off (which was handy as we'd already had Hurlock(?) dismissed)?

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1