Leroy's headbutt

266 posts
Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 12 Apr 2007 13:59

I guess you have to accept that there are many more times when someone waves a hand or nods a head in the general direction of an opponent whithout actually trying to hit them then there are times when there is real intent.

It's where the phrase 'handbags' comes from I believe.

Looked like Lita just had a little nod in the general direction of the defender, who thrw himself to the ground. It didn't look like Lita made any real move at him - all a bit of a fuss over nothing IMHO.

Dawn

by Dawn » 12 Apr 2007 14:01

Just had a text from the club which says:

"Coppell confirms that we'll contest the "ridiculous" charge against Lita"

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 12 Apr 2007 14:01

Regardless of whether Leroy made contact or not, the "intention" was there and this intention debate has gone around all season long, even from the opening game of fixtures when Steven Gerrard was given a penalty when there appeared to be minimal contact yet the intention from Chris Morgan was there.

Accept the charge, take the 3 game ban and learn from this Leroy, and be prepared to fight for your place.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Apr 2007 14:10

Behindu I guess you have to accept that there are many more times when someone waves a hand or nods a head in the general direction of an opponent whithout actually trying to hit them then there are times when there is real intent.

It's where the phrase 'handbags' comes from I believe.

Looked like Lita just had a little nod in the general direction of the defender, who thrw himself to the ground. It didn't look like Lita made any real move at him - all a bit of a fuss over nothing IMHO.

Your last bit there sums it up. He did it but Kerkouri made a meal of it and is probably the more guilty of the two.

However, everyone knows that even if you just make a slight movement with your head like that you'll be very lucky to get away with it. Same if you swing a punch, like Scholes the other week against Liverpool, even if you don't connect or even mean to do any harm, it's still violent conduct.

andyhalls

by andyhalls » 12 Apr 2007 15:30

RG30 Regardless of whether Leroy made contact or not, the "intention" was there and this intention debate has gone around all season long, even from the opening game of fixtures when Steven Gerrard was given a penalty when there appeared to be minimal contact yet the intention from Chris Morgan was there.

Accept the charge, take the 3 game ban and learn from this Leroy, and be prepared to fight for your place.

Pretty much spot on, except trade the word 'intent' for 'attempt' and you've hit the nail on the head.

Attempt to strike an opponent goes down as violent conduct in the laws of the game, and Leroy should be ready to face his three match ban because of this. Contact is totally and utterly irrelevant.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 12 Apr 2007 15:34

andyhalls
RG30 Regardless of whether Leroy made contact or not, the "intention" was there and this intention debate has gone around all season long, even from the opening game of fixtures when Steven Gerrard was given a penalty when there appeared to be minimal contact yet the intention from Chris Morgan was there.

Pretty much spot on, except trade the word 'intent' for 'attempt' and you've hit the nail on the head.

Attempt to strike an opponent goes down as violent conduct in the laws of the game, and Leroy should be ready to face his three match ban because of this. Contact is totally and utterly irrelevant.

"attemption" ?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Apr 2007 15:36

Leroy made the same gesture and touched foreheads with a player during the Sheff Utd scuffles, how come he wasn't charged over that then?

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 12 Apr 2007 15:39

Royal Lady Leroy made the same gesture and touched foreheads with a player during the Sheff Utd scuffles, how come he wasn't charged over that then?

because a) the FA make it all up as they go along and b) Sky Sports News didn't climb on the bandwagon

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 12 Apr 2007 16:42

It's just a shame he didn't connect properly, all that writhing about on the floor was completely wasted.

Leroy might need a ban to stop him doing this again in the future - he tried it in the wall at Everton as well didn't he. Sitting in the stands and not playing could be a good lesson for him.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 12 Apr 2007 16:51

Coppell pretty much agrees on the OS that if the player went to ground as he did, he wishes leroy had got him and goes onto say that if he had made contact then el kakouri wouldn't have been able to continue the game...Go Sir Steve...yet another quality comment from the chosen one...

:lol:

Dawn

by Dawn » 12 Apr 2007 16:56

From the OS

Boss amazed and defiant over Lita's charge

Royals boss Steve Coppell has admitted he is bewildered by the FA's decision to charge Leroy Lita with violent conduct.

Referee Graham Poll missed an incident involving Lita and Talal El Karkouri during Monday's game at Charlton, but the official has since reviewed video footage and deemed Leroy's actions to be worthy of a red card.

Coppell has since reviewed the video footage himself, and he spoke openly to the press today about his amazement that a charge has been brought.

In addition, he explained that he may be forced to leave Lita out of our game with Fulham, regardless of the outcome of Friday's hearing.

The full press conference, in which Steve is very forthright and emotive in his views, is available on our online TV station Reading World now, as well as footage of the incident itself.

Steve explained, "Somebody said to me after the game that there may have been an incident, but I certainly didn't see it. It didn't appear to be highlighted until later on Match Of The Day.

"I've since seen the video footage and to be honest I'm amazed by it. It's so difficult to get a proper view of what happened, so for him to be charged and for the ref to say he'd have sent him off? We will be contesting it, 100%.

"It's ridiculous. I've seen it 50 times and you can't see what happens. You can't say categorically what happened.

"There's a confrontation there and perhaps I shouldn't say a great deal further until the ruling comes out.

"You can see there's an incredible reaction. I'm amazed he [El Karkouri] played on considering the death roll after the alleged contact. I felt there was an over-reaction, but he might have broken his nose in five places and I've just not been told.

"I don't want to pre-empt what's said in the hearing, but if you look at the incident El Karkouri confronts him, he turns around to face him and Leroy goes like that [moves his head to the side].

"Leroy says he's protecting himself because he didn't know what El Karkouri was going to do, so he scrunched up.

"If Leroy wanted to butt someone, they wouldn't fall sideways and they wouldn't get up. That's the wrong way to look at it because I don't want to slur Leroy as that type of person. Realistically though if he wanted to cause damage I don't think the player would continue the game.

"This is not a refereeing thing, I believe it's the compliance unit. We don't know who the unit are, it's a grey area. It's good to supplement the referees, but why is it so shady? It's like a hidden militia.

"I complement a lot of these decisions - if there's video evidence, use it. Fine.

"The ref has seen it and said he would send him off, but I've looked at all angles and you can't see it. There's no way you can say there was contact, although that's suggested in the fall. There's no way he definitely hit him.

"He's going like that [moving his head to the side.] For me, a headbutt is straight on and a case of bang, cop for that. Here, he turns to one side.

"I've not got my head in the sand. If I think one of my players headbutted someone, I'd punish him myself."

Lita's availability
The hearing takes place on Friday afternoon, and regardless of the outcome Steve may be forced to leave Leroy out of his plans for our game with Fulham.

He said, "Whatever happens, it disrupts our preparations. I have to think carefully if he can play. We do our set pieces on a Friday morning and I may have to exclude him from selection.

"As far as I'm concerned he's innocent, but by nature of the hullaballo he might get punished [regardless]."

In addition, the boss was asked about Graham Poll's signal to Alan Pardew during the game on Monday, and he said, "It was wrong, that's all I'll say. I'll save that for another day, I don't want to muddy the waters.

"I want to be specific on the Leroy thing. He didn't do anything."

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 12 Apr 2007 17:06

Fully agree with Coppell on this one.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Apr 2007 17:06

Dawn Just had a text from the club which says:

On a point of principle that's the right thing to do but it will probably prove to be disastrous for us, given the FA pratts that adjudicate in such hearings.

And being a Scouser, Sir Steve is well qualified to judge whether there was a real head butt or not!

andyhalls

Are you sure? If so, how come this season in particular we have seen players only receive a yellow card for actually deliberately (ie with intent) shoving an opponent in off the ball incidents? The explanation given by those supposedly in the know is that refs have been told that as long as the shove is not to the head or face it is only a yellow.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 12 Apr 2007 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 12 Apr 2007 17:09

RoyalBlue
Dawn Just had a text from the club which says:

On a point of principle that's the right thing to do but it will probably prove to be disastrous for us, given the FA pratts that adjudicate in such hearings.

And being a Scouser, Sir Steve is well qualified to judge whether there was a real head butt or not!

You've got Liverpool confused with Glasgow.

Now if Leroy had sliced someone up with a blade..

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 12 Apr 2007 17:10

I don't recall SSC being so outspoken about anything, ever.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 12 Apr 2007 17:12

Fantastic and well said. I guess by now you all know that I think Leroy is class, I'm glad SC is defending his (current number 1 striker).

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 12 Apr 2007 17:14

Did anyone hear him on Talksport?
If so, what did he say?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 12 Apr 2007 17:17

I think if Pardew got a "nod" from Poll that Song was in trouble its only fair that Coppell should have got a "nod" from Poll that Lita was in trouble.

The fact Poll didn't see this incidentat the time means he now thinks he should retrospectively punich the incident. Well does that mean that we could retrospectively sub Lita before he retrospectively gets his red card?

ferret

by ferret » 12 Apr 2007 17:17

I have a feeling Coppell really does like Lita and I feel in his eyes, wrongly or rightly that he's our number 1 striker.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 12 Apr 2007 17:18

lozz2601 Did anyone hear him on Talksport?
If so, what did he say?

He's not been on yet...they keep saying he is on in the next hour...

266 posts