Next season-ins and outs

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 18 Apr 2007 16:46

Come May 13th SC will have watched his players play 38 games in the premier league and will have a pretty good idea of who's "the right stuff" and who isn't (with the possible exception of Convey) so given his track record any moves in or out should benefit the club.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 18 Apr 2007 16:51

1982Royal My point exactly. It's all a confidence thing!

It also shows the difference between confidence and laziness, ala Seol. ;)

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 18 Apr 2007 16:58

will go : stack, cox, oster, de la cruz

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 18 Apr 2007 17:01

Whistle I'd like a really good centre forward - Martins, Yakuba, Carew - sort of class. Sadly Kits is not cracking it like I hoped.

Diop or similar in MF to replace Sid.

O/wise reasonably happy with what we've got assuming the injured recover. Halls, Stack, Brown, Sodje to go.

If we can't pay one of our better players what he wants then we have no chance in signing any strikers of note. Even Martins, Yakubu and Carew will be on upwards of 40k a week.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 18 Apr 2007 17:09

Katie Marsden If we can't pay one of our better players what he wants then we have no chance in signing any strikers of note. Even Martins, Yakubu and Carew will be on upwards of 40k a week.

Different situation though....

We COULD have paid Sidwell more than he was demanding, but made him an offer that we thought was what he was worth. He reckons he can get more elsewhere.

If Coppell decides he wants to sign (say) Yakubu, and the going rate is £35k then we can decide if he is worth it.

I doubt we would I think our approach is pretty sound and don;t want us getting (more) stupid about wages like many clubs have - no one is worth 100k a week - , but the key bit isn't paying people what THEY want, it's paying people what we believe they are worth....

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 18 Apr 2007 17:12

Kitson with a good pre season behind him will do well next season anyway. Then theres Doyle and Lita, all decent players. I don't think we could sign a striker better than the ones we have unless we spent upwards of £5m minimum and paid him a big wage. Waste of money IMO.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 18 Apr 2007 17:24

I'd totally disagree there !

I have no doubt there are players out there who would not cost huge sums and would add to the squad in terms of quality.

We've found Sonko, Kitson, Doyle, Little, Ivar, Marcus, Sidwell, Harper, Hunt, Convey, Long and Shorey for small change and we will find more in the same way.

It will getter tougher to do, but I have no doubt the Coppell production line is still rolling....

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Apr 2007 17:41

As said previously i would want Coppell to sign majority of our players from successful teams in the lower leagues.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2007 17:43

Wycombe Royal I can't wait for the close season on here. It's going to be fun.

Again.......

I'm looking forward to preseason.

"We're going down!"

"hands in your pockets Madjeski"

"No ambition"

"Where are the signings"

"Squad's too small"

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 18 Apr 2007 17:43

I reckon we will sign most of our players from abroad. We seem to have good connections in Iceland and there have been scouting trips to Spain on a regular basis.

I'd be quite surprised if we signed a player from the lower leagues to take a starting place (Muamba maybe...)

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 18 Apr 2007 18:22

Behindu I'd totally disagree there !

I have no doubt there are players out there who would not cost huge sums and would add to the squad in terms of quality.

We've found Sonko, Kitson, Doyle, Little, Ivar, Marcus, Sidwell, Harper, Hunt, Convey, Long and Shorey for small change and we will find more in the same way.

It will getter tougher to do, but I have no doubt the Coppell production line is still rolling....

the difference being most of them had 2 or 3 seasons to "bed in"

the next "bargain" will need to hit the ground running, look at the abuse Seol has had this season

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 18 Apr 2007 18:44

Ian Royal
Wycombe Royal I can't wait for the close season on here. It's going to be fun.

Again.......

I'm looking forward to preseason.

"We're going down!"

"hands in your pockets Madjeski"

"No ambition"

"Where are the signings"

"Squad's too small"

Dont forget....

"What about Second Season Sydrome?!"

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 18 Apr 2007 18:49

79Royal Harper is a big part of what we do well.

Reading is not a pointing club. If we were, Harper would be our Zidane.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 18 Apr 2007 19:10

weybridgewanderer

the next "bargain" will need to hit the ground running, look at the abuse Seol has had this season

Fair pont, but I think the list of big money players that have not settled instantly (or at all) is pretty extensive (Shevchenko, Ballack, Wright-Phillips, Mutu, Crespo, Veron just to pick on Chelsea !!). I think it's about picking the right players rather than splashing large sums of cash, but we would certainly suffer if it took our key signings too long to become part of the Family....

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 18 Apr 2007 19:49

Katie Marsden Kitson with a good pre season behind him will do well next season anyway. Then theres Doyle and Lita, all decent players. I don't think we could sign a striker better than the ones we have unless we spent upwards of £5m minimum and paid him a big wage. Waste of money IMO.

Pointless as well - the last area we need to improve on is our strikers.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 18 Apr 2007 20:06

Behindu
weybridgewanderer

Fair pont, but I think the list of big money players that have not settled instantly (or at all) is pretty extensive (Shevchenko, Ballack, Wright-Phillips, Mutu, Crespo, Veron just to pick on Chelsea !!). I think it's about picking the right players rather than splashing large sums of cash, but we would certainly suffer if it took our key signings too long to become part of the Family....

I think Shaun Wright-Phillips read what you said, he just had a storming first half

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 18 Apr 2007 20:16

My motivational talents are renowned !

Jose may be the Special One, but I am Special Two !

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 18 Apr 2007 20:17

Out:

Sidwell
DLC
Sodje
Halls
Bikey
Stack
Oster

In:

1 Left-back
2 Midfielders
1 Utility player (I'm still going for Phil Jagielka...)

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 18 Apr 2007 20:33

This is how i see the transfer actions going...
Everyone is pretty resigned to sidwell going, with Newcastle and Villa favourites for his signature.

I could see Diop being an excellent aquisition, however Davis from Villa could be moulded into a player with a bright future.

I dont think Coppell knows what Halfords best position is, and if hes going to be moulded into MURTS future replacement I can see a class young right winger coming in to learn off Little and gradually replace him.

Then upfront, if Long is going to improve as a player he needs a season out on loan, with a "robbie fowler" type player coming in onloan. Longy needs regular football for a season and Kitson season to show what hes made of is next season.

Sorry to Oster, Brown, Stacky, Cox, Osano and Sodje (who has been V. disapointing) but they have had there day in the blue and white, with Dubbery closely following them out the door.

Mate, Bikey and DLC will hopefully stay as I think they still have alot to offer. Cannot really see any more central defenders coming in unless one of Bennet, Mate or Dubbery are told they are surplus to requirements.

Finally, I can see Sir Steve bringing in a quality young keeper in th form of Murray from Wolves, who has been told he can go if Wolves do not get promoted, or Myhill from Hull who has taken alot of plaudits this season

So in all, I think Keeper, Winger, Central Midfielder, and a Striker if Longy goes out on loan! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Captain Sinbad
Location: On cloud nine until at least the end of 06/07 season

by Captain Sinbad » 18 Apr 2007 20:49

Striker - anybody see Luton Shelton last night against manure? If we could prise him off Colin, he's be a good addition while Longy is on loan.