Simod Cup Final 88

Royal Tezza

Simod Cup Final 88

by Royal Tezza » 01 Jun 2007 13:33

For whoever asked in the 95 playoff thread, here are the goals from the final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnUzwWX3S5w

If anyone has any decent stories/anecdotes about this game that would be much appreciated :mrgreen:

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 01 Jun 2007 13:35

Oh and i'll like to mention Gilkes' goal was an absolute peach

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Jun 2007 13:39

A friend I was standing (yes standing) next to made one of the best quotes I've heard at a match.

When Stuart Beavon scored the pen, he stated 'Only 55 minutes to waste'

Still makes me smile.

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 01 Jun 2007 13:42

Love it how when the penatly was given their wasn't a single player running upto him. Although i'm sure i could see young John Terry being held back by stewards as he tried to!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Jun 2007 13:46

By the way - has anyone mentioned the fact that the pen was given for a challenge outside the box.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 01 Jun 2007 13:53

Trevor Senior was sat just behind us. We had the best seats in the house, right by the presentation walkway at the point were Hicksy turned to the photographers to hold up the cup. (Have the picture we took of that moment framed). Keith Curle had my rosette and my sister kissed Gary Peters as they walked by. We can clearly see ourselves on the video!

Parked on the top level of the car park by the ground we had a bottle of champagne in the boot (just in case) that got popped open!

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 01 Jun 2007 14:00

ShrewsandRoyals Trevor Senior was sat just behind us. We had the best seats in the house, right by the presentation walkway at the point were Hicksy turned to the photographers to hold up the cup. (Have the picture we took of that moment framed). Keith Curle had my rosette and my sister kissed Gary Peters as they walked by. We can clearly see ourselves on the video!

Parked on the top level of the car park by the ground we had a bottle of champagne in the boot (just in case) that got popped open!

2 words - Photocopy, Ebay

Y25

by Y25 » 01 Jun 2007 14:05

Surprisingly better than promotion to the Prem (for me anyway)

Went up on one of the Reading Buses with my old man

Quality day and Gilkes was sheer class

Gonna watch the goals again now :D

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 01 Jun 2007 14:23

Remember burying my head in my hands when Luton went one up and thinking to myself "...please don't let us get hammered...". Went completely nuts when Micky Tait scored the third after that great run by Neil Smillie.

Some great Luton fans in the car park afterwards and we wished them luck in the League Cup final against the Gooners. Drove a minibus back home to Bracknell drinking Stella all the way! Celebrated in The Boot and got barred (just for one day) for overdoing it a bit. A great day.

Mr Barlow

by Mr Barlow » 01 Jun 2007 15:00

I remember that just about everywhere I looked, I saw someone I knew.
To be honest, most of them didn't support Reading.
When we went one down I didn't give us a chance. How wrong I was.

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 01 Jun 2007 15:05

ddetisi
ShrewsandRoyals Trevor Senior was sat just behind us. We had the best seats in the house, right by the presentation walkway at the point were Hicksy turned to the photographers to hold up the cup. (Have the picture we took of that moment framed). Keith Curle had my rosette and my sister kissed Gary Peters as they walked by. We can clearly see ourselves on the video!

You reckon we could sell a few of those?

Also have a series of pics from the dressing room promotion party after the Derby game. The press had no colour film and we happened to be in the right place at the right time. Mike Lewis came out of the tunnel in a panic, saw my ME Super and asked - got any colour film left in that? Moments later hubby was in the dressing room taking loads of shots. Can't think why I couldn't take them....it was my camera!

Also got piccies from the Newport and Lincoln games in the record breaking run, the Newport one are pictures taken on the pitch too (blagged that we were taking piccies for the uni and got let on - helped to have a good camera then! :lol:

PS I have all the negatives of these too!

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 01 Jun 2007 16:15

ShrewsandRoyals
ddetisi

You reckon we could sell a few of those?

Also have a series of pics from the dressing room promotion party after the Derby game. The press had no colour film and we happened to be in the right place at the right time. Mike Lewis came out of the tunnel in a panic, saw my ME Super and asked - got any colour film left in that? Moments later hubby was in the dressing room taking loads of shots. Can't think why I couldn't take them....it was my camera!

Also got piccies from the Newport and Lincoln games in the record breaking run, the Newport one are pictures taken on the pitch too (blagged that we were taking piccies for the uni and got let on - helped to have a good camera then! :lol:

PS I have all the negatives of these too!

Even better! sounds like you've got a good little business in the waiting! I'd buy a print!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jun 2007 17:30

Now that sent a shiver up my spine. Brilliant stuff.

bagman

by bagman » 01 Jun 2007 17:43

Couldn't make the game as I was in Brazil. Called home to get the result and wife said really sorry but Luton won. Brief pleasantries and then said must go. Oh she said I forgot, Luton one Reading four !! Bastard.

Fred Sharpe's Nose

Reading 4 Luton 1

by Fred Sharpe's Nose » 01 Jun 2007 18:18

Thanks a lot for that, Royal Tezza, you brought back some great memories there.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 01 Jun 2007 18:19

bagman Couldn't make the game as I was in Brazil. Called home to get the result and wife said really sorry but Luton won. Brief pleasantries and then said must go. Oh she said I forgot, Luton one Reading four !! Bastard.

Did you divorce her?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2007 18:41

Wow, what on earth happened to Gilksey! the bastard only ever ran the ball off the end of the pitch when I saw him play!

That was a great goal... Looked like we played really well. I'm so glad I finally got to see that.

Derbyshire Royal

by Derbyshire Royal » 01 Jun 2007 18:53

It really was a fantastic day. Much more enjoyable than the following week when I got married. She is divorced but I still love the Royals!!

Harold

by Harold » 01 Jun 2007 18:55

I;ve got an official video of it here, never watched it though.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 01 Jun 2007 22:21

Harold I;ve got an official video of it here, never watched it though.

Crap music, after match commentary......... what the hell still worth watching ! Keeping mine a few more years .......ebay value :wink: