Reading fans booing Steve Sidwell

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 17 Aug 2007 07:40

Look,at the end of the day we will always have a certain minority of fans who run their football lives by the antics of Soccer AM and the ilk

Booing ex players and current players is all part of their pantomime football life

I was trying to think if on the South Bank we had the same boo boys but we did,its just now its in a civilised arena you can hear them clearer,oh in between them stamping their feet and getting up singing their favorite 'divers' song with comical hand movements

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 17 Aug 2007 07:48

Arch
floyd__streete
Mrs Butler his tackles were a disgrace

if it was any other player we would have boooed, so he got what he deserved. what a prat

Agree with that.

I thought Sidwell was dreadful in the 45 minutes he played and perhaps deserved a bit of stick that he got during the game. Unfortunately we cannot afford to be smug in thr slightest as his direct replacement in this game (Cisse) was even bloody worse.....
OMFG, floyd, don't you start in on Kalifa. He was not worse that Sidwell - in my opinion - but even if he was, he's a Reading player on his debut. He did some good things. Get behind him.

Honestly, am I the only one who thinks respected nobbers like floyd, Andy and AP have had a bit of lead poisoning? I can't believe it from you guys.

Let's have patience with Cisse. Last season, Bikey started poorly but, with time has settled in well. He was arguably one of Royals' best players in both games.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 17 Aug 2007 08:19

Get a fcuking life, it was pure pantomine and there were plenty of fans near me calling him a dirty w@nker when he got booked. Most fans, including me, clapped him before the game, but when it kicks off it's completely different.

Were you muppets singing his name during the game ?

I thought it was hilarious he was taken off and showed he isn't as good as he thought he is. Still I wish him luck.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 17 Aug 2007 08:35

I did what I have always done for returning players at the start of the game when his name was red out I applauded him with most of the other fans.

He failed to acknowledge the fans.

He then got booed everytime he put in a bad tackle or to be honesty touched the ball. I am sure he was expecting it as he saw it with Curo infact he was the one who caused curo to get sent off..

He was a Loyal servant and he will always have a place in my memories of Reading promotions however hes a Chelsea player now.

I think even Sidwell knows it was done in jest.

Some people on this board seem to have got football confused with church.

Where were all you church goers 7 years ago when we were getting max crowds of 5000 ??? SOD OFF!

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 17 Aug 2007 09:00

working class hero Why complain about Sidwell being physical when it was the same quality that we applauded him for when he wore Hoops.

As for the prize t*ts in North Row CC 104 - 108ish who were [in a broad Berkshire pig sh*gging yokel accent] yelling Judas and decrying him as Steven SHITwell [yawn] - well the mind boggles at how much inbreeding has gone into this particular family to get them to the pitiful level they have fallen to....

I was pleased that he was ineffective against us. I do however, wish him all the best.
Sure he was greedy - but which of us would not leave for a better firm willing to pay us triple wages for the same job.

And if we had offered him 25 k per week at the beginning of the season [as he asked] he would have signed..... Hardly his fault we played the long game and better offers rolled in.

Reading fans who have such short memories and so little appreciation for great servants deserve little.

At last someone with some sense speaks.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Reading fans booing Steve Sidwell

by Hugo Boss » 17 Aug 2007 09:04

TheLawnMowerMan
Hugo Boss If you were one of the embarrassments who did this, can I ask why??

Many other ex-RFC players aren't booed in that way when they come back.

Work it out for yourself. It's not rocket science.

So, let me get this right... someone who wants to better themselves and further their career deserves to be booed?? :?

Some people on here seriously need to take the blinkers off and get in the real world.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Aug 2007 09:05

Good fishing trip, caught more than a few tiddlers there.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 17 Aug 2007 09:07

:lol:

Not this time Stranded - Absolute 100% genuine bemusement at how ridiculous some of our supporters are.

If it wasn't for players like Sidwell then we wouldn't be where we are now. In my eyes that's a fact and therefore the man does not deserve to be booed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Aug 2007 09:18

Well, whilst still half expecting to jump in the net.

That's just part of football isn't it. And I don't think in the most part that it was done with any real malice, more that it was a bit of a laugh - the fact they he played so badly just added to it. I mean Gilkesy got booed when he came back as well.

In fact go to any ground in the country and the "returning hero" will always get a booing.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Aug 2007 09:52

slating cisse is daft

1st game

he played a composed game 1st half, mad one horrendous tackle mitigated by some very slippery turf.
but he was a huge part of why chelsea, and in particular sidders played so poorly 1st half.won everything in the air against him, and took th eball off him a couple of times
he didnt pick up on the chelsea changes at half time, and was probably a bit shellshocked with their two goals

perhaps he is not aware of our bouncebackability yet.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 17 Aug 2007 09:53

Stranded In fact go to any ground in the country and the "returning hero" will always get a booing.

I did not and well not ever boo Shaka Hislop.

Pridders

by Pridders » 17 Aug 2007 10:02

Sidwell came back to the madstad to try and win and maybe score against us. To try and put him off/make him feel uncomfortable is what we want to do. Some people really have not got a clue. He WAS a reading player not any more. Its the club I support not individual players especially those who have now left the club.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 17 Aug 2007 11:40

Arch
floyd__streete

if it was any other player we would have boooed, so he got what he deserved. what a prat

Agree with that.

I thought Sidwell was dreadful in the 45 minutes he played and perhaps deserved a bit of stick that he got during the game. Unfortunately we cannot afford to be smug in thr slightest as his direct replacement in this game (Cisse) was even bloody worse.....
OMFG, floyd, don't you start in on Kalifa. He was not worse that Sidwell - in my opinion - but even if he was, he's a Reading player on his debut. He did some good things. Get behind him.

Honestly, am I the only one who thinks respected nobbers like floyd, Andy and AP have had a bit of lead poisoning? I can't believe it from you guys.

i agree with this, its odd to see the more reasonable nobbers slating him, shades of bikeys debut as others have said. Its almost as if they're lining up the next seol already

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 17 Aug 2007 11:48

wehateoxford
Arch
floyd__streete

Agree with that.

i agree with this, its odd to see the more reasonable nobbers slating him, shades of bikeys debut as others have said. Its almost as if they're lining up the next seol already

There will never be another seol thank god

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 17 Aug 2007 11:54

I'm glad there are so many people about who are ready to inform the rest of us how to support a football team properly.

So far swearing's out, booing opposition players is out, booing our own players is in; anything else I should be remembering for tomorrow?

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 17 Aug 2007 12:22

sheshnu I'm glad there are so many people about who are ready to inform the rest of us how to support a football team properly.

So far swearing's out, booing opposition players is out, booing our own players is in; anything else I should be remembering for tomorrow?

If you do join in the chanting, make sure that you are word perfect

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 17 Aug 2007 12:33

It's part of the game just a bit of fun he left to double his money good luck to him lets face it we would all have done the same? I doubt the booing botherd him one bit.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 17 Aug 2007 12:42

Pridders Sidwell came back to the madstad to try and win and maybe score against us. To try and put him off/make him feel uncomfortable is what we want to do. Some people really have not got a clue. He WAS a reading player not any more. Its the club I support not individual players especially those who have now left the club.

Well said, some fans seem to think that supporting an ex-player is more important than supporting the current 11 players playing for Reading.

Also you can bet your life Sidwell wanted to win that game more than any other this season, so why give him an easy ride.

Duke the Dog

by Duke the Dog » 17 Aug 2007 13:01

Good grief, people moaning about the booing of an ex-reading player during a game. How gentrified are we becoming!?

It's part of the atmosphere, without the petty and childish songs/chants and pantomime booing it would be as dull as ditch-water! Oh yes, and the swearing!

I'd happily applaude any ex-player/manager before and after a game (well, okay, nearly all of them, there are a couple of exceptions) and would willingly shake their hand if I ever meet them in the street. But once on the pitch, they are the opposition and fair game.

The only exception I would take from the Chelsea game was the booing of Cech, now that I don't understand. I can remember the days of booing Ron Futcher for breaking Hicks' jaw for seasons afterwards (and even some of the other Futcher clan, just in case), but the Vale (was it Vale) fans never boo'd Hicksy, and why would they!?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 17 Aug 2007 13:25

Duke the Dog Good grief, people moaning about the booing of an ex-reading player during a game. How gentrified are we becoming!?

It's part of the atmosphere, without the petty and childish songs/chants and pantomime booing it would be as dull as ditch-water! Oh yes, and the swearing!

I'd happily applaude any ex-player/manager before and after a game (well, okay, nearly all of them, there are a couple of exceptions) and would willingly shake their hand if I ever meet them in the street. But once on the pitch, they are the opposition and fair game.

The only exception I would take from the Chelsea game was the booing of Cech, now that I don't understand. I can remember the days of booing Ron Futcher for breaking Hicks' jaw for seasons afterwards (and even some of the other Futcher clan, just in case), but the Vale (was it Vale) fans never boo'd Hicksy, and why would they!?

the booing of Cech seemed to work because she had a shocker