Neck ache

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Neck ache

by floyd__streete » 25 Aug 2007 22:10

Reading fans crane their necks again at the Reebok.

As Brian Clough once said, if God intended football to be played in the air he'd have put grass in the sky. 90 minutes of long ball drivel today, I wouldn't mind if we had Kevin Francis up front - horses for courses and all that - but our success really hasn't been built on the tripe we saw today has it? We are currently making Kevin Doyle look very much like a 78,000 pound player. We could have done with Seol's creativity today, think on those of you who make a Korea out of knocking him.

Perhaps we are better off playing long ball football, because in all four games I have seen this season we have been exemplary in giving the ball away. Marcus Hahnemann, you really need to learn how to kick a football as my patience with you is rapidly running out :roll:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Aug 2007 22:14

was Marcus that bad today? (genuine question)

Not seen him any worse than our opposition keepers this season (otherwise)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Aug 2007 22:16

There's already an over-reaction thread somewhere.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Aug 2007 22:16

Royal Rother There's already an over-reaction thread somewhere.
good advert

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 25 Aug 2007 22:17

Hahnemann is our keeper and long may he reign considering the 'competition' for the shirt.

need some more creativity and guile in midfield, can get away with it if you have two outstanding wingers. At this stage we don't have that as Little is injured. Harper 'who will flourish now Sidwell has gone as he can get forward more' doesn't create enough. Needs someone either with him or instead to make something happen for us.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 25 Aug 2007 22:19

The normally level headed Floyd pissed off... now i'm concerned.

From the deepest bottomest part of your Blue and White heart Floyd, was it really that bad?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Aug 2007 22:21

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo The normally level headed Floyd pissed off... now i'm concerned.

From the deepest bottomest part of your Blue and White heart Floyd, was it really that bad?
I am anxiously chewing my nails and awaiting his synopsis

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Aug 2007 22:22

Was that the one started by someone who didn't go to the game?

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo From the deepest bottomest part of your Blue and White heart Floyd, was it really that bad?

Yep. Highlighted - nay, etched out on my forearm using a rusty compass - our weakness in depth imo.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Aug 2007 22:24

AthleticoSpizz I am anxiously chewing my nails and awaiting his synopsis

Just because of my thinly veiled sarcasm on one of your other posts? Don't take it so badly, nothing personal. I wish that people weren't so egocentric on this message board.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Aug 2007 22:27

floyd__streete
AthleticoSpizz I am anxiously chewing my nails and awaiting his synopsis

Just because of my thinly veiled sarcasm on one of your other posts? Don't take it so badly, nothing personal. I wish that people weren't so egocentric on this message board.
if I knew what egocentric meant, I would agree that it is for the best

meantime (and getting back to the original.....and before you lose your patience)

was

Marcus that bad today?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Aug 2007 22:35

AthleticoSpizz before you lose your patience)

was

Marcus that bad today?

:) I am exceptionally good at losing my patience, life is too short not to do so.

Marcus was not at fault for any of the goals imo (easily rounded for the 2nd but it's not easy when you are left exposed) but his kicking drives me to distraction. When he has time to take a touch he boots it first time into touch. When there is some urgency he takes one, two, three touches. Then boots it into touch.

Before the thought police arrest me and throw me into a rose-tinted cell, I might add that his goalkeeping - technically speaking - is sound as far as I see it. He just appears to have got very lapsidaisical with his distribution over recent months. We give possession back to the opposition far too easily so far this season and MH is a major culprit.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 25 Aug 2007 22:37

floyd__streete

Was that the one started by someone who didn't go to the game?

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo From the deepest bottomest part of your Blue and White heart Floyd, was it really that bad?

Yep. Highlighted - nay, etched out on my forearm using a rusty compass - our weakness in depth imo.

Dont you think that the fact that we had Kits still suspended, Lita coming back from injury, the longest injury list in the premier league and bar one or two players the whole squad was either on international duty or injured for midweek training might just have gone against us.

Add to the fact that Bolton have few injuries, not many played in mid week either. Their need to win was a lot greater than ours today too.
Plus they are actually a good team that finished 7th in the league last season.

One bad game and you really do go bonkers dont you.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Aug 2007 22:42

I don't think Marcus has been any different with his distribution/clearances/goalkicks in the past three seasons

Never brilliant...but overall, never bad.............obviously, the bad ones get remembered over the good ones (ever remember the one to Curo against Tranmere on an autumns night a few years ago?)

If you ever study the oppositions keepers, you will find that they muff up just as many opportunities.

It's easy to be critical of your own

Love

Amanda H

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Aug 2007 22:46

londinium Dont you think that the fact that we had Kits still suspended, Lita coming back from injury, the longest injury list in the premier league and bar one or two players the whole squad was either on international duty or injured for midweek training might just have gone against us.

Fair enough, I am not sure how many Bolton had away and I agree with SC that the need for a midweek friendly international fixtures was negligible and we should be cursing that fact.

But that doesn't really justify in itself today's performance. I am only commenting on what I have seen today - I am not necessarily predicting a winter of discontent, more bemoaning what we saw today - but excuses won't earn us any points. Basically, I am disappointed with how uncompetitive we were today. Pointing out the injury situation perhaps only really serves to add weight to my argument about weakness in depth.

Sure, I have more to say when we have played poorly and got a negative result on the day. But as all managers themselves tend to say, you tend to learn more in defeat.

Doyler

by Doyler » 25 Aug 2007 22:48

The way I see it is, we had several key players missing today, some had international duty in the week which will have tired them. We lost 3-0 to, despite recent results, what is still a seasoned premiership team and one which has several class players in the likes of anelka, diouf and nolan. We can hardly expect to go through the season without the odd below par performance, afterall the players are human so will make mistakes. We just need to take this on the chin, forget about it and look forward to the west ham game. Come on URZ!

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 25 Aug 2007 22:54

floyd__streete
londinium Dont you think that the fact that we had Kits still suspended, Lita coming back from injury, the longest injury list in the premier league and bar one or two players the whole squad was either on international duty or injured for midweek training might just have gone against us.

Fair enough, I am not sure how many Bolton had away and I agree with SC that the need for a midweek friendly international fixtures was negligible and we should be cursing that fact.

But that doesn't really justify in itself today's performance. I am only commenting on what I have seen today - I am not necessarily predicting a winter of discontent, more bemoaning what we saw today - but excuses won't earn us any points. Basically, I am disappointed with how uncompetitive we were today. Pointing out the injury situation perhaps only really serves to add weight to my argument about weakness in depth.

Sure, I have more to say when we have played poorly and got a negative result on the day. But as all managers themselves tend to say, you tend to learn more in defeat.

I take your point about your disapointment of the standard of play today, but sometimes you do get off days.

With regard to strengthening the squad ,you cant really justify bringing in another 2 or 3 players as you could no way anticipate such a long list of injuries.

Next week will be a totally different team and a totally different performance.

Most will be back from injury, Kits will be back... and after all...its only Wet Sham. 6 anyone!!!

Katie Marsden

Re: Neck ache

by Katie Marsden » 26 Aug 2007 00:28

floyd__streete

As Brian Clough once said, if God intended football to be played in the air he'd have put grass in the sky. 90 minutes of long ball drivel today, I wouldn't mind if we had Kevin Francis up front - horses for courses and all that - but our success really hasn't been built on the tripe we saw today has it? We are currently making Kevin Doyle look very much like a 78,000 pound player. We could have done with Seol's creativity today, think on those of you who make a Korea out of knocking him.

Perhaps we are better off playing long ball football, because in all four games I have seen this season we have been exemplary in giving the ball away. Marcus Hahnemann, you really need to learn how to kick a football as my patience with you is rapidly running out :roll:

As I said after the Everton game, our problem is in central midfield. We can't keep possession and give it away cheaply. We got away with it against United and Everton by the skin of our teeth. It was only a matter of time before we were punished.

Sidwell hasn't been replaced and I'm very worried about the next few months.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 26 Aug 2007 03:50

Katie Marsden
floyd__streete

As I said after the Everton game, our problem is in central midfield. We can't keep possession and give it away cheaply. We got away with it against United and Everton by the skin of our teeth. It was only a matter of time before we were punished.

Sidwell hasn't been replaced and I'm very worried about the next few months.

Yes yes YES Katie. We drew with United and beat Everton BY THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH. You have clearly identified a problem which will stop us breaking into the top 4 this season. Rest assured, if this tragedy does come to pass, someone will pay big time. COPPELL OUT!

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 26 Aug 2007 03:51

It could be worse, if Kitson had played today every ball could of been route 1!

Scylla

by Scylla » 26 Aug 2007 09:29

floyd__streete

We gave the ball away a lot last season. One of the posh papers had some stats - just before Shef Utd at home - that showed Reading among the worst teams for successful passes. Has it got that much worse? Can't say that I noticed much difference against Everton or Chelsea.