The Life and Times of Ahmet Rifat

Isaac Hunt

Re: The Life and Times of Ahmet Rifat

by Isaac Hunt » 19 Sep 2014 09:38

RepressedRoyal Any offers on Ooh Jamie Lambert...Starred in a televised FA Cup game against Birmingham around about 1992 was linked with Monaco then oblivion...I thought he was the next Gazza :oops: :oops:

I think "oblivion" is a little harsh. The Birmingham game was his full debut, played 140 games for RFC. All went tits up after that. Still lives and works around Reading.

6 Million Dollar Man

by 6 Million Dollar Man » 19 Sep 2014 09:43

Pierre Joseph Dubois...been at Bromley for a few seasons now in Conference South, and looks a class above everyone else

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Sep 2014 09:52

Isaac Hunt
RepressedRoyal Any offers on Ooh Jamie Lambert...Starred in a televised FA Cup game against Birmingham around about 1992 was linked with Monaco then oblivion...I thought he was the next Gazza :oops: :oops:

I think "oblivion" is a little harsh. The Birmingham game was his full debut, played 140 games for RFC. All went tits up after that. Still lives and works around Reading.

Wasn't it actually that Forest home game in 1997 that he was outstanding on the telly.

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 19 Sep 2014 09:59

Sutekh
Isaac Hunt

Wasn't it actually that Forest home game in 1997 that he was outstanding on the telly.

Yes, the Forest game where he scored a great solo goal. Birmingham was his debut, live on TV, got MOTM i think, then headed off to Monaco shortly after for a trial with Wenger.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 Sep 2014 10:35

I still remember that amazing performance by Scott Davies against Chelsea in pre-season.

double d

by double d » 19 Sep 2014 14:11

tidus_mi2 I still remember that amazing performance by Scott Davies against Chelsea in pre-season.

Didn't he play a couple of PL games for us?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 Sep 2014 14:16

double d
tidus_mi2 I still remember that amazing performance by Scott Davies against Chelsea in pre-season.

Didn't he play a couple of PL games for us?

Nah, he made 4 championship appearances when Brendan was manager.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 19 Sep 2014 15:12

Some random ones I decided to look up

Gunnar Thorvaldsson is currently at BK Hacken in the Swedish Top Division
Former England Under 19 international Jack Mills is at Hayes & Yeading
Jacob (cousin of Theo) Walcott was playing for North Leigh despite ripping up the Dutch 2nd Division on loan all those years ago
Mathieu Manset has gone FC Sion, Carlisle, Coventry, Royal Antwerp and is now at Walsall
Viktor Illugason played in a Champions League win over Rosenborg for Breidablik a couple of seasons ago, no idea where he is now
Dean Santangelo has the odd career path of Reading, Augsburg, Manchester United, Schwamendingen, FC Lugano
Ryan Catney played both legs of a narrow 0-2 Champions League defeat to Debrecen for Cliftonville this season
Joseph Mills left Burnley to join Oldham in the summer, following a loan spell at Shrewsbury
Darren O'Dea is without a club after getting out of Metalurh Donetsk due to the conflict
Radoslav Vasilev has been at Slavia Sofia for 4 years
Mitchell Bryant (who once scored a double-hattrick while out on loan at Basingstoke), has gone Gloucester, Swindon Supermarine, Cambridge City, Frome, and is now at Royston Town

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Sep 2014 15:35

Saaaaaaaammmmmm Former England Under 19 international Jack Mills is at Hayes & Yeading
Jacob (cousin of Theo) Walcott was playing for North Leigh despite ripping up the Dutch 2nd Division on loan all those years ago

The Walcotts are second cousins, to be picky.

Hayes & Yeading seem to be a dumping ground for ex-Royals. Patrick Cox seems to have done a reverse Dion Dublin and converted to play as a striker. I don't know if Mills is still there looking at this squad (which includes Adam Bygrave as well as Pat Cox), but this slightly dodgier one lists him, as well as Cox, Kelvin Bossman, Louis Soares (now at Basingstoke?), and the younger Josh Webb (not Neil's son, who is further down the pyramid, but the one who played with Tshibola before Kuhl emerged).

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 19 Sep 2014 15:50

Is there a sadder story than Karl Sheppard?

Reading

On 12 January 2012, Sheppard announced via his Twitter page that he had signed a two-and-a-half-year contract at Reading, leaving Shamrock Rovers on a free transfer.[8] Reading reportedly beat off interest from other Championship clubs including Blackpool, Cardiff and Peterborough United.[9]
Loans

On 4 August 2012, Reading announced that Sheppard was joining Accrington Stanley on a six-month loan deal.[10] He made his debut in their 1–0 League Cup defeat against Carlisle United on 11 August and then scored the winner against Southend United a week later, his first goal in English football.[11][12] He returned to Reading on 3 January 2013 having not featured for Accrington since mid October.[13]

On 31 January 2013, he re-joined Shamrock Rovers on a six-month loan deal.[14] He made his return to the team in a 1–0 defeat to Coleraine on 11 February in the Setanta Cup,[15] but had to wait nearly three months for his first goal, scoring a late equaliser in a 1–1 draw with Sligo Rovers on 3 May.[16] Days before his original spell was due to expire, Sheppard's loan was extended until the end of the 2013 League of Ireland season.[17]
Return to Shamrock Rovers

In December 2013 Shepherd signed a one-year contract with Shamrock Rovers for the 2014 season after leaving Reading without making an appearance.[18]

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Sep 2014 16:19

A victim of circumstance. Signed when we were absolutely brassic. 3 weeks later a certain Russian comes riding over the horizon spending money he didn't have on £30,000 a week strikers.

Although, to be fair, his form out on loan in League 2 suggested he wasn't much cop.

Dave Mooney on the other hand gets a handful of sub appearances playing out of position and ends up in League 1, scoring goals for fun. Not saying he's get a look in with our squad now but, of our post Doyle signings from the League of Ireland, even from his occasional cameos on the wing, he was clearly a cut above the others.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Sep 2014 18:38

Noticed this week that Brian Howard has joined oxf*rd.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Sep 2014 18:43

Also: Brett Williams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Will ... _born_1987)

Never played a match for us ever but doing very well for Aldershot .... prolific.

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 19 Sep 2014 18:54

Saaaaaaaammmmmm Mitchell Bryant (who once scored a double-hattrick while out on loan at Basingstoke), has gone Gloucester, Swindon Supermarine, Cambridge City, Frome, and is now at Royston Town

I knew we paid Drenthe a lot, but we gave him his own club? Maybe that's why he never wanted to train.

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 19 Sep 2014 23:49

Jack Mills is at Wealdstone in Conference South.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Sep 2014 08:21

This one has got to be my favourite ever ..... the one and only Bas Savage!

Currently, plying his trade nowhere else than Thailand!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bas_Savage

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Sep 2014 12:10

Isaac Hunt Yes, the Forest game where he scored a great solo goal. Birmingham was his debut, live on TV, got MOTM i think, then headed off to Monaco shortly after for a trial with Wenger.

Most exciting youngster I ever saw at Reading. He could have been great. Article below from 1993.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/new- ... 78140.html

and a 1996 article after Lambert produced a matchwinning performance against a hapless Wolves managed by Mark McGhee...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/LAMB+TO+T ... a061307313

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 21 Sep 2014 12:32

I'm sure I read somewhere that Tony Rougier had become a vicar, anyone know if that is true?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 21 Sep 2014 13:01

Anyone seen James Harper recently? Does he now have hair?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 21 Sep 2014 14:55

3points Anyone seen James Harper recently? Does he now have hair?

... Harps was on BBC Baaarks last Tue night pre-Millwall nattering - just as manic off the pitch - from memory he's living locally but w/o a club - presumably released by Barnet last season.

I think Simeon Howell was at Marlow until very recently - not sure where he's gone this season back around season 10/11 he flitted from Hartley W to Abingdon Utd (most likley via Thatcham where the HW squad went en masse with Neville Roach) previously cropping up at Fleet Town - featured in a Play Off defeat for them vs Uxbridge - so he's evidently still got enough to be in and out of STEPS 4-6.