It's the round thing

by It's the round thing » 18 Dec 2007 03:54

Gordons Cumming
atarax a heads-up, for those as don't read the GU footy pages
http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 93,00.html

Good article.

Hunty is a good, honest guy.

I like 100%ers

I think this article sums Hunty up beautifully. He is willing to look at his play and he is able to be candid about his mistakes. I love that he's now the Reading penalty kick taker. I thought the decision to get him to take the penalty was inspired - if he misses, he isn't the type of player to get down on himself, wheras if Doyle or Kitson were to miss, their confidence might well be shattered again just as they're starting to perform.

I think one thing that's missing in the discussion of passion vs. quality is the degree of each. It's not as if there are simply two options - yes or no. Admittedly Hunty isn't the highest quality player, but he plays out of his skin. It's not just that he has passion, if you ranked premier league players in terms of passion and work rate, he's definitely in the top 10, maybe even in the top 3. Even when he had the flu against Liverpool he played super hard.

And with the application of that work rate to training, his game is improving steadily too. This past week's game he looked like he was even learning some fancy footwork - the commentator was likening him to Ronaldo. Honestly.

I totally get that Keane would be interested in him - but I'm guessing he will be loyal to Coppell. One thing I've noticed about the Irish lads is that they seem to have a commitment to Reading and some gratitude, unlike a couple of the English ones (Kits aside).

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 18 Dec 2007 12:10

It's the round thing
Gordons Cumming
atarax a heads-up, for those as don't read the GU footy pages
http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 93,00.html

Good article.

Hunty is a good, honest guy.

I like 100%ers

I think this article sums Hunty up beautifully. He is willing to look at his play and he is able to be candid about his mistakes. I love that he's now the Reading penalty kick taker. I thought the decision to get him to take the penalty was inspired - if he misses, he isn't the type of player to get down on himself, wheras if Doyle or Kitson were to miss, their confidence might well be shattered again just as they're starting to perform.

I think one thing that's missing in the discussion of passion vs. quality is the degree of each. It's not as if there are simply two options - yes or no. Admittedly Hunty isn't the highest quality player, but he plays out of his skin. It's not just that he has passion, if you ranked premier league players in terms of passion and work rate, he's definitely in the top 10, maybe even in the top 3. Even when he had the flu against Liverpool he played super hard.

And with the application of that work rate to training, his game is improving steadily too. This past week's game he looked like he was even learning some fancy footwork - the commentator was likening him to Ronaldo. Honestly.

I totally get that Keane would be interested in him - but I'm guessing he will be loyal to Coppell. One thing I've noticed about the Irish lads is that they seem to have a commitment to Reading and some gratitude, unlike a couple of the English ones (Kits aside).

A very good post. He really is improving and at the moment is our most consistent threat. I wonder where Coppell will play him when we sign a right winger. I hope he stays in the team but I don't know if I would drop Convey for him...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Dec 2007 12:14

Archie's penalty A very good post. He really is improving and at the moment is our most consistent threat. I wonder where Coppell will play him when we sign a right winger. I hope he stays in the team but I don't know if I would drop Convey for him...

When we sign a right-winger how about Hunt in centre midfield - either defensively where he'd get in people's faces all the time, or attacking just behind the front two? How would him and Harper work best together? certainly, they'd cover some ground between them

I know he's played centre mid before, but don't remember when or what the result was.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 18 Dec 2007 13:03

Dirk Gently
Archie's penalty A very good post. He really is improving and at the moment is our most consistent threat. I wonder where Coppell will play him when we sign a right winger. I hope he stays in the team but I don't know if I would drop Convey for him...

When we sign a right-winger how about Hunt in centre midfield - either defensively where he'd get in people's faces all the time, or attacking just behind the front two? How would him and Harper work best together? certainly, they'd cover some ground between them

I know he's played centre mid before, but don't remember when or what the result was.

I think that it would be rather stupid for Coppell to drop Hunt in the form that he is in at the moment. Trying Hunt and Harper as a central midfield pair would certainly not do any harm. It would certainly present a threat to other team's midfields...

Upper West?!?

by Upper West?!? » 21 Dec 2007 09:49

Now the Daily Mirror claims Everton is going to make an offer for Hunt

Everton boss David Moyes is planning a £3m move for Reading midfield man Stephen Hunt in the January transfer window. (Daily Mirror)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7155407.stm

Losing both Hunt and Shorey would be a massive blow.

Cookie

by Cookie » 21 Dec 2007 19:35

Upper West?!? Now the Daily Mirror claims Everton is going to make an offer for Hunt

Everton boss David Moyes is planning a £3m move for Reading midfield man Stephen Hunt in the January transfer window. (Daily Mirror)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7155407.stm

Losing both Hunt and Shorey would be a massive blow.

Maybe he's going to offer a swap for that Tim Cahill or someone.
Personally I wouldn't swap him for anyone in the Everton team.
:wink:
Last edited by Cookie on 21 Dec 2007 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 21 Dec 2007 19:39

Moyes can oxf*rd off as well.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 21 Dec 2007 19:43

Looks like Hunt is going to ask for another pay rise. :wink:

Cookie

by Cookie » 21 Dec 2007 19:53

Gordons Cumming Looks like Hunt is going to ask for another pay rise. :wink:

I thought the Sunderland story was deliberately leaked out to unsettle the player ahead of tomorrow's game.

But the Moyes interest?

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 21 Dec 2007 23:12

You can all rest easy.

On the Everton web site Moyes has rubbished recent transfer rumours relating to Stewart Downing and Stephen Hunt.

Probably Hunt's agent working overtime to get his lad a pay rise...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Dec 2007 23:49

Archie's penalty
Dirk Gently

I think that it would be rather stupid for Coppell to drop Hunt in the form that he is in at the moment. Trying Hunt and Harper as a central midfield pair would certainly not do any harm. It would certainly present a threat to other team's midfields...

i doubt that having two headless chickens running around without the slightest bit of composure and quality would concern most teams

it is this kind of attitude which worries me, a cm partnership of hunt and harper is not going to help us break into the top 8

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 21 Dec 2007 23:54

winchester_royal
Archie's penalty
Dirk Gently

i doubt that having two headless chickens running around without the slightest bit of composure and quality would concern most teams

it is this kind of attitude which worries me, a cm partnership of hunt and harper is not going to help us break into the top 8

Nads

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Dec 2007 00:06

londinium
winchester_royal
Archie's penalty
Dirk Gently

Nads

break into the top 8??? ffs, what planet do these people live on?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Dec 2007 00:07

leon
londinium
winchester_royal
Archie's penalty
Dirk Gently

Nads

break into the top 8??? ffs, what planet do these people live on?

you got a problem with ambition?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 22 Dec 2007 01:47

winchester_royal
Archie's penalty
Dirk Gently

What kind of attitude? I think they'd work pretty well together to be honest...

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 22 Dec 2007 06:12

I really can't understand some people.

If we were offered £3M for Hunt I'd take the money atm. We can replace Hunt with someone of superior quality for £2 or £3M.

What is it about him apart from the work rate that makes people think he's worth £5M :? ?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Dec 2007 09:58

Ideal Hunt and Harper are our two best players this season as far as I can tell.
I don't know what winchester_royal is on about.

I would say Kitson has been the star this season followed by Harper and Doyle.
Hunt has worked tirelessly but is not always productive .......he is doing ok.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Dec 2007 10:33

Hunt is a very effective player if played in the right way, which Coppell more often than not has done with Hunt.
I don't think the Club would get rid of one of its better performing players unless we had a replacement.
In regards to how much should we accept for him, the higher the better, let anyone who's interested to pay through the nose.
It's probably a bit of a non-story, but I am surprised that some people of here think that we should get rid of him for as little as possible.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 22 Dec 2007 10:38

LOL @ simpletons suggesting we sell a regular starter when Reading have the smallest squad in the Premiership.

Lets shrink the side even further. Awesome 8)

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 22 Dec 2007 11:32

Hunts too good for us, we dont deserve him. hes a real gem of a player.

162 posts