People applauding Sonko

tilehurstender

People applauding Sonko

by tilehurstender » 01 Jan 2008 20:32

Can someone please explain the logic behind clapping off Sonko? Showing your appreciation for a player costing us the game by being a clumsy, one paced liability is beyond me.

Yeah the referee wasn't anything special but committing suicide in the first five minutes and then having the keeper gift them a goal was the main reason we gort sod all this afternoon.

I would like to think that Sonko would have apologised to his team mates especially the unlucky Convey.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 01 Jan 2008 20:34

start a new thread, thats the answer.

peckhamwolf

by peckhamwolf » 01 Jan 2008 20:37

Worrying more about petty message board politics than the actual crux of the issue. That's the answer.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jan 2008 20:39

I think the topic is required but not just this incident with Sonko. Its a trait I have never understood. Why on God's earth people feel the need to applaud players who have just been sent off is beyond me.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 01 Jan 2008 20:41

Alan Partridge I think the topic is required but not just this incident with Sonko. Its a trait I have never understood. Why on God's earth people feel the need to applaud players who have just been sent off is beyond me.

I would imagine the people that applauded were the ones who felt the decision was incorrect.

I didn't clap Sonko off, but I did sing Olé fro the Bobster.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 01 Jan 2008 20:45

He knows he's let everyone down so getting some applause might help him a little bit. Hopefully those 87 lonely minutes will knock some sense into him. Hopefully Bobby gave him a few words too as no doubt he would've been disappointed to have gone off that early.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 01 Jan 2008 20:47

Geekins Hopefully those 87 lonely minutes will knock some sense into him.

Followed by the 270 top flight minutes Reading will be involved that he won't before he goes to the ACN. We won't see Sonko again for a month or more. A blessing in disguise?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: People applauding Sonko

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jan 2008 20:50

tilehurstender Can someone please explain the logic behind clapping off Sonko?
Perhaps they were applauding the refs decision?

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 01 Jan 2008 20:56

tilehurstender Can someone please explain the logic behind clapping off Sonko? Showing your appreciation for a player costing us the game by being a clumsy, one paced liability is beyond me.

Yeah the referee wasn't anything special but committing suicide in the first five minutes and then having the keeper gift them a goal was the main reason we gort sod all this afternoon.

I would like to think that Sonko would have apologised to his team mates especially the unlucky Convey.

Tell the truth, you wanted to boo him??

Past performances go out the window with reading fans.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 01 Jan 2008 20:57

2.8 lita injection
tilehurstender Can someone please explain the logic behind clapping off Sonko? Showing your appreciation for a player costing us the game by being a clumsy, one paced liability is beyond me.

Like the game before today's? Nice one. :lol:

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 01 Jan 2008 21:03

I was thinking a bit further back than that. 8)

woodley_royal_124

by woodley_royal_124 » 01 Jan 2008 21:03

Not that anyone is of a fickle disposition.......... :D :D

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 01 Jan 2008 21:09

I resisted using the word fickle. :P

But by looking at the forum tonight their are a lot of angry people, looking for someone to blame and i guess that is going to be Sonko.

Bring back seol. :wink:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 01 Jan 2008 21:15

Row Z Royal

Followed by the 270 top flight minutes Reading will be involved that he won't before he goes to the ACN. We won't see Sonko again for a month or more. A blessing in disguise?

I think he will only miss Spurs. Pretty sure Pro Fouls get a 1 game ban, 3 for Violent Conduct or Serious Foul Play.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 01 Jan 2008 21:15

Tony Le Mesmer
Row Z Royal

I think he will only miss Spurs. Pretty sure Pro Fouls get a 1 game ban, 3 for Violent Conduct or Serious Foul Play.

Booooooooooooooo

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 01 Jan 2008 21:20

2.8 lita injection

See, it was just a matter of time before some numbscull came on here and gave it the old 'fickle fans' accusations.

Fickle

likely to change, especially in affections, intentions, loyalties, or preferences

When someone consistenly performs as woefully as Sonko has over the past 5 games then how on earth can you ignorantly look back on his 'better' peformances and defend the guy?

I think in many circumstances it's wholly appropriate to be fickle on these things and it's a misconception that to do so is unacceptable.

Sonks has lost a yard of pace, gained an inability to concentrate, developed poor decision making skills and has really started to drop us in the shit.

It doesn't matter that a year ago he was playing well. Right now his mind doesn't seem to be in the right place and if he wasn't off to the African Nations then he'd have to be dropped anyway in my opinion.

If you clapped the idiot off today it was your choice to do so. It wound me up no end though!

Hopefully he'll have a good tournament and come back with a bit of confidence, and in the meantime hopefully we'll get a decent CB in January.

woodley_royal_124

by woodley_royal_124 » 01 Jan 2008 21:21

Personally I am not sure losing Sonko today would have made a great difference to the match on the whole. It just made our job harder; bringing on Bikey, I think, did spare us a few more blushes although I don't think he had a particularly good game.

Cookie

by Cookie » 01 Jan 2008 21:26

woodley_royal_124 Personally I am not sure losing Sonko today would have made a great difference to the match on the whole. It just made our job harder; bringing on Bikey, I think, did spare us a few more blushes although I don't think he had a particularly good game.

Losing the man (Convey) in midfield was the killer.

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 01 Jan 2008 22:45

Booing him off, or even letting him leave the pitch to a nasty silence would not have done anything for his confidence. I applauded him off myself because of what he has done in the past, and for the fact he was trying to save the club/team from conceding a goal. Admittedly, he was clumsy and failed miserably (well, the penalty didn't go it, but....)

A nasty, cynical tackle would have evoked a different response no doubt.
Last edited by lozz2601 on 01 Jan 2008 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Jan 2008 22:47

The traditional reason for applauding off a player who's been sent off is to show your comtempt for the ref's decision. Whether that is releavnt to day is open to discussion.