NO LONGER A RUMOUR: Jimmy Kebe SIGNS

299 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Jan 2008 17:23

Was it Platypuss who a couple of days back suggested that, apart from the top four teams, it was looking like all PL teams were struggling to make signings?!

At the time I suggested that the table must really be upside down as the likes of Sunderland, Wigan and Derby looked to be doing alright.

As time goes on, it is starting to look like all bar good old skinflint RFC are joining the top four in being able to make signings who are already proven and established in the British game and therefore will stand a very good chance of hitting the ground running.

Meantime we continue to make budget signings for the future. A future which is looking increasingly like it will be spend below the top tier of English football.

Nevermind, the bank balance is looking healthy - unless you are a season ticket holder of course!

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 17 Jan 2008 17:27

Alarm bells ringing for me. I have always been an admirer of the brick-by-brick approach, but the club needs to recognise the need for change. That was yesterday's strategy. Now the situation is entirely different and a new game-plan is necessary. Management is being blinded IMO by our success in 2006-7 and that clearly is not repeating itself. Progress has been made so that unlike in the past there are now substantial financial resources available which do not come from the pockets of JM. Loosen the purse strings, bean counters, before it's too late.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2008 17:32

RoyalBlue Was it Platypuss who a couple of days back suggested that, apart from the top four teams, it was looking like all PL teams were struggling to make signings?!

At the time I suggested that the table must really be upside down as the likes of Sunderland, Wigan and Derby looked to be doing alright.

As time goes on, it is starting to look like all bar good old skinflint RFC are joining the top four in being able to make signings who are already proven and established in the British game and therefore will stand a very good chance of hitting the ground running.

Meantime we continue to make budget signings for the future. A future which is looking increasingly like it will be spend below the top tier of English football.

Nevermind, the bank balance is looking healthy - unless you are a season ticket holder of course!

Name the proven signings made by teams outside the top 4 please, I've jsut seen something posted that suggests thats rubbish.

Someone else said Taylor prefered to go to Bolton... thats not what seemed to be the case to me. He wanted to come here but we didn't want him by the sounds of it. I'm not sure how much good it would have done us to spend a load of money on a 3rd left winger whilst we still had no one for the right, possibly a big attacking hole in the middle and defensive frailties.

PS where does it actually say that KEbe has signed for us. I still only see speculation on this thread...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Jan 2008 17:36

Ian Royal
RoyalBlue Was it Platypuss who a couple of days back suggested that, apart from the top four teams, it was looking like all PL teams were struggling to make signings?!

Name the proven signings made by teams outside the top 4 please, I've jsut seen something posted that suggests thats rubbish.

Someone else said Taylor prefered to go to Bolton... thats not what seemed to be the case to me. He wanted to come here but we didn't want him by the sounds of it. I'm not sure how much good it would have done us to spend a load of money on a 3rd left winger whilst we still had no one for the right, possibly a big attacking hole in the middle and defensive frailties.

PS where does it actually say that KEbe has signed for us. I still only see speculation on this thread...

Is it really worth responding as your second paragraph immediately names one! Love him or hate him, I would have thought Mr Savage has done enough to prove his ability .....

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 17 Jan 2008 17:47

Blue and White Toucan Whether they are good signings or not all those clubs around us are spending on players - King the latest £5m to Fulham, and I think it is fair to say that we do not have the strenght in depth in the current squad.

I have faith in what Coppell and co are doing but I can't help think that somewhere we going wrong and taking a huge gamble. If players like Taylor prefer to move to the Bolton's of this world (whether its money or not) and we are looking at players that play in leagues that Coppell has already stated are not near the Premier League and players need time to adjust (Cisse and Fae as examples) then I am beginning to get a bad feeling of how this season may end.

every signing in football is a gamble from Doyle to Anelka. However i agree with the unearthing of gems and 'potential' scenario. Of course Coppell clearly has an eye for these type of players but you cant expect him to churn out one after another-especially when we are in the premiership not now the championship. Of course these types of signings are low risk financially but is it actually a waste of resources and time and effort to go looking for these type of players ALL the time??

What im trying to stress is that i think Coppells strategy of finding rough diamonds is one we need to continue in our current status but we cannot rely on this strategy everytime to determine the type of player we attract. Its quite clear that Reading need an injection of quality pretty quickly having not replaced Sidwell and some players having been found out. It doesnt mean a complete overhaul and a move away from our transfer policy but when needs must players of proven quality in positions we clearly are weak in (ala taylor) should really be chased hard. The difficulty is publicly knowing if we have attempted to do this regularily and knocked back for what ever reasons.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2008 17:48

RoyalBlue
Ian Royal

Is it really worth responding as your second paragraph immediately names one! Love him or hate him, I would have thought Mr Savage has done enough to prove his ability .....

So 2, one of which it seems likely we didn't want. Good job.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 17 Jan 2008 18:01

It's not very inspiring is it, let's be honest.
I think what's more frustrating is that everything's kept so hush hush, that it looks like we're not even trying to make decent signings that will bring a buzz back to the place but who knows what's going on behind closed doors.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 17 Jan 2008 18:02

Ian Royal So 2, one of which it seems likely we didn't want. Good job.

All of these might not have gone through yet, so they might not happen, but it shows there seems to be activity going on.

McFadden
Cahill
Diarra
King
Defoe
Downing
Ghaly

I don't think it's time to panic yet, but we need to act pretty quickly due to the current shortage of centre backs, but it is surpising to see the money that Derby seem to be able to make available considering their definately down.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 17 Jan 2008 18:05

Ian Royal

Hi Ian, would be interested to know where you got that impression from - as I got exactly the opposite. I dont think there is anything in black and white from the club (is there ever) but after having a chat with a journo who is close to the club I got the 100% impression that we were interested, had made an acceptable offer tp Pompey, Taylor wanted to come as he lives in Oxfordshire, and that, subject to Pompey making a signing and us agreeing personnel terms he would be on his way to Reading

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2008 18:08

Southbank Old Boy

All of these might not have gone through yet, so they might not happen, but it shows there seems to be activity going on.

McFadden
Cahill
Diarra
King
Defoe
Downing
Ghaly

I don't think it's time to panic yet, but we need to act pretty quickly due to the current shortage of centre backs, but it is surpising to see the money that Derby seem to be able to make available considering their definately down.

Ok great, those arn't done deals yet though are they? And also how many of them play in positions we need to bring in? King, Downing, Defoe and McFaddon all don't, nor did Taylor.

So that means we've missed out on Savage a player possibly over the hill and argueably we need attacking midfielders not defensive ones. Can'r say I'm massively dissapointed at not signing any of them.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2008 18:11

Northern Git
Ian Royal

Hi Ian, would be interested to know where you got that impression from - as I got exactly the opposite. I dont think there is anything in black and white from the club (is there ever) but after having a chat with a journo who is close to the club I got the 100% impression that we were interested, had made an acceptable offer tp Pompey, Taylor wanted to come as he lives in Oxfordshire, and that, subject to Pompey making a signing and us agreeing personnel terms he would be on his way to Reading

I'm basing it on "insider" knowledge from Slinky and my opinion that when we desperately need right wingers, central midfielders and defenders we probably wouldn't be wasting our money on a left winger when we have 2.

It sounds like he wanted to come here and only went to Bolton when it was obvious he couldn't, because we didn't offer him a contract.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 17 Jan 2008 18:16

Ian Royal
Southbank Old Boy

McFadden
Cahill
Diarra
King
Defoe
Downing
Ghaly

Ok great, those arn't done deals yet though are they? And also how many of them play in positions we need to bring in? King, Downing, Defoe and McFaddon all don't, nor did Taylor.

So that means we've missed out on Savage a player possibly over the hill and argueably we need attacking midfielders not defensive ones. Can'r say I'm massively dissapointed at not signing any of them.

The question was who else is strengthening, ie who's moving clubs, not who have we possibly missed out on.

As it happens Defoe, Diarra, Cahill, King and McFadden would strengthen our squad significantly. Obviously we didnt have a chance in hell of signing a few of them.

Our front two are carrying us right now, and both look a bit knackered to be honest. After those two our 2nd, 3rd and 4th forwards don't seem to be either in favour or capable of playing at this level right now.

McFadden has played on the right a lot for Mcleish so he would've been a good signing. Having him or King upfront would also give the manager more of a chance to play Doyle on the right. In the same way having Taylor in the squad would mean Hunt could stay on the right as well.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 17 Jan 2008 18:43

RoyalBlue Was it Platypuss who a couple of days back suggested that, apart from the top four teams, it was looking like all PL teams were struggling to make signings?!!

Nope!

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 17 Jan 2008 18:54

Stranded http://www.frenchleague.com/joueur/index.asp?no_joueur=105020

5 goals in 16 games from midfield in Ligue 2 this season.

Great. Just what we need.

Does he speak English?
Is Ligue 2 = English Prem League?
Our reserves are already pretty strong enough aren't they?

Fingers crossed he's our midfield Kevin Doyle equivalent, 'cos let's face it, his credentials don't suggest he's a shoe-in for our starting midfield any time soon!

But hey, he's cheap!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 17 Jan 2008 18:57

strap

Does he speak English?

Fingers crossed he's our midfield Kevin Doyle equivalent, 'cos let's face it, his credentials don't suggest he's a shoe-in for our starting midfield any time soon!

But hey, he's cheap!

I see another 'settling in' period, which if so makes this signing utterly pointless. Would be better letting him finish his loan, see what league we are in and if they still want him get him in the summer and let him 'settle in'. God this sounds more like an episode of Bullseye everyweek!!!

'Ok take your time, settle in, we are all rooting for you, best of luck'

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 17 Jan 2008 19:03

....and here are the cups you would have won if you were not crap!

Kevin Doyles Right Foot

by Kevin Doyles Right Foot » 17 Jan 2008 19:10

Slinky no nothing about him but it clearly shows we are out there looking and arranging things, the quiet way, the Reading way!
SLOLinky!!!!! Taylor went to Bolton!

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 17 Jan 2008 19:12

i see a certain ty gooden ex swinedon is our scout in france-hopefully not doing us a dis service!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Jan 2008 19:14

Alan Partridge
strap

Does he speak English?

But hey, he's cheap!

I see another 'settling in' period, which if so makes this signing utterly pointless. Would be better letting him finish his loan, see what league we are in and if they still want him get him in the summer and let him 'settle in'. God this sounds more like an episode of Bullseye everyweek!!!

'Ok take your time, settle in, we are all rooting for you, best of luck'

...and since we are now out of all the cups, not even sure of how or where they are going to be able to 'settle in' at this level...unless these signings are being made with a view to the Championship? :?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 17 Jan 2008 19:19, edited 3 times in total.

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 17 Jan 2008 19:14

howser No disrespect to the player concerned, but, here are our rivals in the relegation battle are making strives to guarantee their future in the Prem and for all the world it looks like we are preparing ourselves for the championship, we get bucket loads of money being the Prem for one season so we will have got loads for two years ! I must admit living as I do in the back of beyond in the North of Scotland, I am not able to be a season ticket purchaser, but if I was I would want to know why the cost of a season ticket is so high, players wages are not high, in relative terms I mean, with all the Prem money this is just turning into a money making venture for the owner. The players we are signing and in particular the amounts we are signing them for would indicate that we have already given up on thus season and are preparing ourselves for next year in the Championship.

As for the Stadium expansion, wont happen and we will be down to crowds of 17,000 again. We are getting left behind by our rivals who have come to the table and are making concerted efforts to ensure their Prem status where as we seem to be saying "that was fun while it lasted, but this top league is too expensive so we best get out of it"

Overseas players that wont be picked ?? whats the bloody point ! once the talk of Matt Taylor was £4m there was no way on earth that we would have invested that amount with a view to staying in this league, for us and our club, the Premiership is out of our league, because we are not prepared to spend the money to stay there.

We might well be relegated with a huge bank balance, well bloody good show !!
ecoes my sentiments exactly howser

299 posts