Anybody else preparing to opt out next season?

135 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Anybody else preparing to opt out next season?

by Dirk Gently » 23 Jan 2008 16:31

largetrousers
Dirk Gently
largetrousers Without football i'd end up like the rest of the depressed guys that get dragged around shops by their WAGs, thinking "is this all there is to life?"

I agree with that - I think this thread is a lot more about losing the "connection" that makes Reading "our" team. Once that's gone, and there's nothing left to identify with at the club, then the ever-increasing cost and obstacles to watching matches outweigh the benefits.

But certainly if I did scrap my ST I'd not abandon football altogether - there are plenty of smaller teams which will value and appreciate your support, instead of taking advantage of you - and they'll not fleece you for the privilege.

I have always had the feeling that I am part of Reading, not just another supporter. The team feels 'homely' to me, Coppell seems like the sort of bloke you could have a pint with down the pub without feeling awkward, I would hate to be a supporter of a team like Manchester United, yeah they've won a lot and play some great football and can tempt the best players in the world to play for them, but how in touch are their fans with their players and fellow supporters? Long live the RFC community, sensible management and sensible ownership, I hope JM remains our chairman and doesn't sell up to another billionaire looking for a play thing to ruin and take its individuality away.

You've summed up the appeal nicely. I just feel that every day we spend in the Premier League brings closer the day when Reading won't be "homely" and our club. And, of course, JM selling out to a foreign billionaire woul bring that day much, much, closer in one fell-swoop.

We are Reading, we are different to other clubs in the PL - but for how long can we stay like that? Can we stay like this at all and stay in the PL?

Terry Tibbs

by Terry Tibbs » 23 Jan 2008 16:35

totally agree with largetrousers and dirk would be ashame to sell out but would think is fairly enevitable at some point in the near future

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Jan 2008 19:03

sheshnu
Dirk Gently I can't see that watching a team where highlights of the season are the occasional win over one of the super-rich is particularly satisfying - I also can't see how anything will change. I agree with you that Saturday was fantastic, but possibly because such days of skill and passion are few and far between these days, and we still lost, of course! And for every one like Saturday, there's one like Arsenal, where we watch a Harlem Globetrotters-style game between two completely mis-matched teams.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying - I'm fairly certain that fans of teams like Aston Villa and Portsmouth used to feel exactly the same way.

I'd say a decent proportion of Villa fans can remember pretty well when they were a top team in their own right - as a "traditionally big club" they will have been optimistic for a return to former glories at some time.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 Jan 2008 20:01

Every dog has its day .

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 23 Jan 2008 20:47

largetrousers
Dirk Gently
largetrousers Without football i'd end up like the rest of the depressed guys that get dragged around shops by their WAGs, thinking "is this all there is to life?"

I agree with that - I think this thread is a lot more about losing the "connection" that makes Reading "our" team. Once that's gone, and there's nothing left to identify with at the club, then the ever-increasing cost and obstacles to watching matches outweigh the benefits.

But certainly if I did scrap my ST I'd not abandon football altogether - there are plenty of smaller teams which will value and appreciate your support, instead of taking advantage of you - and they'll not fleece you for the privilege.

I have always had the feeling that I am part of Reading, not just another supporter. The team feels 'homely' to me, Coppell seems like the sort of bloke you could have a pint with down the pub without feeling awkward, I would hate to be a supporter of a team like Manchester United, yeah they've won a lot and play some great football and can tempt the best players in the world to play for them, but how in touch are their fans with their players and fellow supporters? Long live the RFC community, sensible management and sensible ownership, I hope JM remains our chairman and doesn't sell up to another billionaire looking for a play thing to ruin and take its individuality away.

That's the point of it all.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jan 2008 20:48

The journey to the Premiership was certainly more enjoyable than the reality of being here. Will i renew next year? I keep weighing up the pros and ons. There are plenty of cons (the cost, the lack of excitement, the travelling etc) and not many pros, but the thing is, I probably will because I always do. I've cut down on away games now, maybe 4 or 5 a season. If I miss a game now I doesn't bother me, it's a chance to not spend half the weekend sat on the M1 and it gives me time to explore other avenues that I've neglected in my life whereas 5 years ago I would be eaten up by nervous tension not being at the game. The thing is, I've been there for over 25 years and there's always that feeling, similar to why I never leave a game early, that if I don't turn up, no matter how shit the overal experience, I'll miss something special and hate myself for not being there. The sense of belonging and the sense of being involved in something special still flickers dimly on in my soul. It's like a comfort blanket, there giving a sense of familiarity even when you know it's irational and that you should grow up and get over it.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 24 Jan 2008 09:16

Jerry St Clair
wolsey Without wishing to sound patronising, or forgetting Burnley's glorious (dim, distant) past, I really miss places like Turf Moor: proper ground, town centre location, good food, good banter, good ticket prices

......and full of nutters.

Turf Moor is one of the least welcoming grounds in the country. Up there with Wolves IMHO.

I agree with that JSC. ive watched Reading at about 90 different league grounds and miss the trips to the likes of Brentford and Bury. I don't miss Burnley one bit.

One other poster mentioned that the Champions League was the root of all football evil and i can't agree more. Im looking forward the likes of Milan and Liverpool not qualifying for next season, but you'd bet your last pound they do.

I will always renew my season ticket as long as i can afford it. But this season ive been going away far less because i just don't enjoy it like i used to. Mind you, my 3 away games in the league this seasn have averaged 9 goals per game :shock: And as for £48 to watch us next week, forget it. Thats just insulting my loyalty.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 Jan 2008 11:52

From Despair To Where? The journey to the Premiership was certainly more enjoyable than the reality of being here. Will i renew next year? I keep weighing up the pros and ons. There are plenty of cons (the cost, the lack of excitement, the travelling etc) and not many pros, but the thing is, I probably will because I always do. I've cut down on away games now, maybe 4 or 5 a season. If I miss a game now I doesn't bother me, it's a chance to not spend half the weekend sat on the M1 and it gives me time to explore other avenues that I've neglected in my life whereas 5 years ago I would be eaten up by nervous tension not being at the game. The thing is, I've been there for over 25 years and there's always that feeling, similar to why I never leave a game early, that if I don't turn up, no matter how shit the overal experience, I'll miss something special and hate myself for not being there. The sense of belonging and the sense of being involved in something special still flickers dimly on in my soul. It's like a comfort blanket, there giving a sense of familiarity even when you know it's irational and that you should grow up and get over it.

beating liverpool, the last minute goals vs sunderland and others, both the man u games
7-4 6-4

what lack of excitement?

you lot are just getting old and boring

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 25 Jan 2008 13:18

Afraid I too will probably be opting out next year, financially there are are a lot of things that I have to do. I'm relying on the large number of RP's I have gathered to get me to all the games I want to go to, and will then look AFTER the expansion and intimated flexibility of pricing to get a season ticket then.

However, the big thing making it a probable, is that I dont want to lose my seat........... :x

Daniella

by Daniella » 25 Jan 2008 13:30

If we get relegated I will ditch my season ticket. The club have lied about investment and upped the prices, out pricing loyal fans. As a result, I'll do the same back if we go down. Only fair.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Jan 2008 13:53

brendywendy 7-4 6-4

what lack of excitement?

The 7-4 was exciting in a way a plane crash is exciting. Thrilling to watch, but you don't want to be part of one. Plane crash is a good metaphor for our season actually.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 25 Jan 2008 14:01

floyd__streete
brendywendy 7-4 6-4

what lack of excitement?

The 7-4 was exciting in a way a plane crash is exciting. Thrilling to watch, but you don't want to be part of one. Plane crash is a good metaphor for our season actually.

Agreed - we did well to get back to 2-2, missed a penalty and then collapsed quicker than a house of cards in a hurricane. Not what I'd call exciting...

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 25 Jan 2008 14:18

Daniella If we get relegated I will ditch my season ticket. The club have lied about investment and upped the prices, out pricing loyal fans. As a result, I'll do the same back if we go down. Only fair.

That's OK because if you go to the same number of games (which of course you will do because we all know you're not one of these plastic fans) you'll end up paying more money.

Win:win - your pram is toy free and the club gets more cash

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 25 Jan 2008 15:58

As a non-attending fan, I'm giving an outsider's view on this discussion.

On the Premiership experience, I'm of the view that you want your club to be competing at the highest level you can achieve. Complain all you like about the ManU-ization of English football, but last weekend was the best 2-0 defeat I've ever experienced. it was a great game and it was really gratifying as a Reading fan to hear the likes of Ferguson and Rooney saying it was their hardest game of the season.

The money is grotesque, which is why I'm driven insane by the transfer-window whiners and their big-money desires. The very best thing that could happen to English football (at least the best thing that is possible as opposed to pointless dreaming) is that a club like Reading should survive and thrive without playing the money game. I love the fact that all our players were inexpensive and the fact that we have largely the same team as we had three years ago. Who'd be a Sunderland fan? Twenty-odd new faces in 18 months, 50 million spent, can't buy Hunt for love or money, 18th place in the league.

But I do think the club would be well advised to cut ticket prices across the board. As fas as I can tell, a 10% cut in season ticket prices would cost not much more than about a million. It would be far and away the best investment of a million pounds the club could make in the long term. I'd hope that a club that is so good at avoiding short-termism in so many ways can see the advantage of keeping its core support happy.

Daniella

by Daniella » 26 Jan 2008 11:48

Uke That's OK because if you go to the same number of games (which of course you will do because we all know you're not one of these plastic fans) you'll end up paying more money.

a plastic fan is someone who starts to follow a club when good times occur, basically jumping on the bandwagon. I have been supporting reading for years, mostly when we've been shit. I am disappointed that the club has lied to fans and milked them for every bit of cash this season, throwing all loyalty out of the window.
I was lucky enough to be able to afford a season ticket this season, many can't due to actions of the club.
Im disgusted with the way RFC treat their fans these days. Outrageous pricing, over-zealous stewarding and a complete lack of ambition to move forward. They don't deserve any more of my pennies.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 26 Jan 2008 11:58

Daniella
Uke That's OK because if you go to the same number of games (which of course you will do because we all know you're not one of these plastic fans) you'll end up paying more money.

a plastic fan is someone who starts to follow a club when good times occur, basically jumping on the bandwagon. I have been supporting reading for years, mostly when we've been shit. I am disappointed that the club has lied to fans and milked them for every bit of cash this season, throwing all loyalty out of the window.
I was lucky enough to be able to afford a season ticket this season, many can't due to actions of the club.
Im disgusted with the way RFC treat their fans these days. Outrageous pricing, over-zealous stewarding and a complete lack of ambition to move forward. They don't deserve any more of my pennies.

I bet, (a) you wouldn't have said that last season and (b) you wouldnt say that this season if we finished in a Europeen place.

Daniella

by Daniella » 26 Jan 2008 12:04

londinium
Daniella

I bet, (a) you wouldn't have said that last season and (b) you wouldnt say that this season if we finished in a Europeen place.

What? Last season we weren't lied to about " needing extra money to compete in the transfer market", and anything we achieved apart from relegation was a big achievement.
Since then, the club has shown no ambition or drive to move forward and we've been charged ridiculous money to be a part of a massive step back.
Why rip fans off when its not needed? if the club was going to decide to keep the current squad and make do, why up the prices that much? Its disgusting, makes my blood boil.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 26 Jan 2008 12:16

Im disgusted with the way RFC treat their fans these days. Outrageous pricing, over-zealous stewarding and a complete lack of ambition to move forward. They don't deserve any more of my pennies.[/quote]

I bet, (a) you wouldn't have said that last season and (b) you wouldnt say that this season if we finished in a Europeen place.[/quote]

What? Last season we weren't lied to about " needing extra money to compete in the transfer market", and anything we achieved apart from relegation was a big achievement.
Since then, the club has shown no ambition or drive to move forward and we've been charged ridiculous money to be a part of a massive step back.
Why rip fans off when its not needed? if the club was going to decide to keep the current squad and make do, why up the prices that much? Its disgusting, makes my blood boil.[/quote]

Last season, we upped the prices, kept the same squad and showed no ambition to go forward by buying anybody.

Still you were happy to pay the prices and not moan because we were doing well.

We will finish in our second highest position in our history this season and people still want to moan and pull their hair out.

Daniella

by Daniella » 26 Jan 2008 12:24

londinium
We will finish in our second highest position in our history this season and people still want to moan and pull their hair out.

Completely irrelevant.

We could free transfer the whole squad, shoot all the fans and board members and still finish our second highest league position- that is not an achievement.
Last season I was happy to pay more than the championship rate and expected to go down, I didn't mind that and I knew the money might be used in the market for players, it also would of gone towards player bonuses,etc. The club went to the drawing board in the summer and drew up a plan to rake in more cash and run the club on the cheap...those are the facts. With the amount of TV money, merchandising,etc there was absolutely NO NEED whatsoever to up the prices unless they were planning to significantly add to the first team squad and move us forward....they haven't. Madejski for all he's done for the club is holding us back, we need to get rid of this small wage structure and compete with the clubs around us. It says it all that sunderland think they can come up and attract our best player for peanuts, we are a tin-pot club that no one takes seriously.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 26 Jan 2008 12:39

Daniella
londinium

Completely irrelevant.

We could free transfer the whole squad, shoot all the fans and board members and still finish our second highest league position- that is not an achievement.
Last season I was happy to pay more than the championship rate and expected to go down, I didn't mind that and I knew the money might be used in the market for players, it also would of gone towards player bonuses,etc. The club went to the drawing board in the summer and drew up a plan to rake in more cash and run the club on the cheap...those are the facts. With the amount of TV money, merchandising,etc there was absolutely NO NEED whatsoever to up the prices unless they were ...planning to significantly add to the first team squad and move us forward....they haven't. Madejski for all he's done for the club is holding us back, we need to get rid of this small wage structure and compete with the clubs around us. It says it all that sunderland think they can come up and attract our best player for peanuts, we are a tin-pot club that no one takes seriously.

Oh so emotional... if you don't like the way the club is run and the whole situation is getting on top of you just walk away, get on with your life and stop moaning. Or, go and support a proper club like Manure rather than a 'tinpot' club like Reading.

You pay your money you take your choice... just mellow a little... it is only football not life and death.

And by the way with regard to your 'NO NEED' to increase prices comment..............

.............It is called supply and demand

135 posts