New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Dec 2019 14:53

Forbury Lion
SouthDownsRoyal Manager of the second placed team in the premier league, who would have thought it all those years ago.
If we stuck by him we would have been relegated - Wrong manager for the club at that moment in time.

A very familiar saying in these parts. :)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2019 18:04

sandman
genome
Archie's penalty
Umm.

Umm

"Royalee". He was a fuking weirdo, hated Coppell for no apparent reason.

One of the spend spend spend tards who hated Madejski as well iirc

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Dec 2019 00:03

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Snowflake Royal He'd have jumped ship.

And we got promoted to the PL two seasons later under McD anyway.

Arguably would have been in a better “on the field” position with Rodgers though but it’s all something we’ll never know.

But not on the table, being as wed be on the L1 one.

No way we'd have gone down under Rodgers

I felt for him in the sense he was promised something he ultimately didn't get but by the same token, I'm not sure he'd have been a great fit long term, we just didn't have the players to do what he wanted to

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Dec 2019 07:28

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Arguably would have been in a better “on the field” position with Rodgers though but it’s all something we’ll never know.

But not on the table, being as wed be on the L1 one.

No way we'd have gone down under Rodgers

I felt for him in the sense he was promised something he ultimately didn't get but by the same token, I'm not sure he'd have been a great fit long term, we just didn't have the players to do what he wanted to

Obviously it's far from certain we'd have been relegated, although that's the way it was headed and I believe it was likely. You'd have to be mad to say there was no way it could happen given where we were when he left, our record under him and how much McDermott improved us by changing how we played.

It is very clear that Rodgers was the problem.

He'd been backed more than any previous manager for us outside the PL for sure, and in the same region as Coppell in the PL. He'd signed a lot of players, done incredibly badly and then demanded oodles more cash to fix his poor management.

He thought a three year plan to get promoted could see him fight relegation the season after finishing 4th and that was fine.

He was an absolute walking disaster in our job.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Dec 2019 07:54

I always understood that the root of his sacking was that he told Howe he needed x amount of Pounds in the transfer window because he didn't have the right type of players a mere 3 months after spending a small fortune on 8 players. Add to this, he failed to sign the one player he really wanted because he blabbed that it was more a less a done deal before we'd even made an offer.

It all added up to make him look a complete liability in the transfer market at a time when we had fcuk all money.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Dec 2019 13:30

From Despair To Where? I always understood that the root of his sacking was that he told Howe he needed x amount of Pounds in the transfer window because he didn't have the right type of players a mere 3 months after spending a small fortune on 8 players. Add to this, he failed to sign the one player he really wanted because he blabbed that it was more a less a done deal before we'd even made an offer.

It all added up to make him look a complete liability in the transfer market at a time when we had fcuk all money.

Have to remember he was a very inexperienced manager at the time who will have needed these experiences to learn from.

I think there's certainly an argument to be made that we should have shown far more patience given he was effectively tasked with changing the club's entire footballing ethos, and the available evidence from his successes since suggest that he would have been able to turn it around, however as we all know managers don't get that kind of treatment in modern football.

Obviously it's hard to say it was the wrong choice given the success we had with McDermott immediately after - but maybe we would have had a different, more sustainable version of success if Rodgers had been given the time to build. Who knows eh? Who cares?

All we can really say with confidence now is that he is clearly a good manager, certainly not the moron some people on here tried to claim he was all that time ago, but his inexperience meant he struggled with us.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Dec 2019 13:52

I don't think he was the right man for a rebuild job given the constraints we were under at the time.

1747 posts