Kitson signs for Stoke for £5.5 million

956 posts
seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

Re: Rumour - Kitson to Wigan/Stoke

by seahawk10 » 18 Jul 2008 01:43

Arch
seahawk10 Can we get Simon Cox back? :|
The very same people who howled about letting Cox get away and not giving him a fair chance would say it showed typical lack of ambition of we now signed him back.

We need good, young players to be the basis of Reading's team long-term (whether we are promoted or not doesn't really matter), so I hope that we stop selling off our youngsters. I would prefer to see what we have with Henry, Karacan, Robson-Kanu, etc. than to sell them off for a bargain to a lower division team.

If we spend money, I can only hope it is on young players with some upside. Let's buy a Simon Cox-type from one of the big boys because they don't have a spot for him or think he isn't good enough. So in the end, I guess I am with AP in that we got great service from Kitson during his prime years. We made a profit and let's use that to buy some talented youngsters. Roll on to Forest.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 18 Jul 2008 01:57

Hicks and Dixon, renegade Kitson, hiding from dibble in pubs.

I've followed Reading now for 40 years, somtimes it feels a bit too much, but at least we're in what used to be League Division 2, I've had worse.

Merrydown Vintage Dry's not bad either. Hic!

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 18 Jul 2008 02:03

Disappointed to lose Kitson, great player when fit,

However the reality is that the players all had relegation clauses in their contracts, salaries fell substantially, Stoke are gambling the Prem rewards big time IMHO, go straight back down and Kitson will be off again, result massive loss, or assuming there is a clause allowing him to go for say £5m if relegated, then no one would pay that unless he had a great season at a relegated club, result unhappy player, cost £5m, and high Championship wages.

We cannot offer Prem wages in the Championship, it is madness to do so, we can offer decent wages, and I suspect we are middle end in that, £15k a week at this level will attract players, it wont attract the greedy journeymen that are out there, how many clubs has King been at now in the last few years?

Anyways time to get Harry back in for Shorey, and Keane for Hunt, lose those two and we can start the rebuilding process.

Another £10m would go a long way to upping the wages of those that want to stay.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Jul 2008 02:55

LOL at the the uproar in here.

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

If you are mad now, wait til we don't spend a penny from the proceeds.

Little ole Reading doing their thing.

Get ready for "We'll do most of our business in the January window'.

Hey Mr Mad...do you now still consider the current squad to be good enough for Europe?

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 18 Jul 2008 07:45

Reading striker Dave Kitson is set to complete a £5m move to Stoke. (The Sun, Daily Mirror)
:cry:

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Jul 2008 08:01

Well so now we know where Mr Ego is taking this club. For the sake of spending a fraction of the the Sky money from the last 2 years on a couple of decent prem quality players, we find ourselves out of the top flight, selling our top names, and watching the inevitable downward spiral back to where we came from.

Bet you're a bit peeved now Mr Ego! Small time man at the head of a small time team. But thank you SO much for letting us live just a little piece of the dream for the last 2 years. We are SO grateful for that, and will gloriously remember your name for ever and ever.

I hope there's room in your bank vault for all your empty rhetoric Mr Ego. How much is outstanding loan now Mr Ego? Oh don;t tell me, STILL £40M, even after the Sky money?? Well there's a surprise.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 18 Jul 2008 08:13

Official Site starting its 'positive' propaganda....

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 63,00.html

No doubt he'll have sniffle next week and be off.

Streets

by Streets » 18 Jul 2008 08:16

Denver Royal LOL at the the uproar in here.

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

Or bothered?

He's injury prone. Terrific when fit but he is replacable.

Kitson gone? Oh well.

Reading move on...

russyb

by russyb » 18 Jul 2008 08:31

i think we will miss him big time, he holds ball up well has reasonable skill for a big man and defends well at corners too, we are going to need a tall replacement of the same sort of player.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 18 Jul 2008 08:34

i was initialy disappointed by this, but now i think get stuffed Kits, if he wants to go to a club who's fans have, as i remember it really upset him before,and leave behind fans who have always supported him, plus the fact that they are newly promoted and who knows how they will do maybe 9th maybe 19th who knows.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Jul 2008 08:36

Arch
The very same people who howled about letting Cox get away and not giving him a fair chance would say it showed typical lack of ambition of we now signed him back.
I, for one, wouldn't! He can play up front and on the wing - but no, let's sell him for £200k, cos we REALLY needed that money didn't we. :roll:

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 18 Jul 2008 08:38

Royal Lady
Arch
I, for one, wouldn't! He can play up front and on the wing - but no, let's sell him for £200k, cos we REALLY needed that money didn't we. :roll:

Cox is shit and no loss.

Kitson is good and a great loss. Talking about them in the same breath is LOLaughable.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Jul 2008 08:41

I know for a fact that in our Championship winning season, Sonko was our highest paid player and his wages weren't to be sniffed at, so I fail to see why we can't still be paying a "reasonable" wage to the rest of the team, in order to motivate them to get us back up.

I'm increasingly concerned about the Shorey situation too. As I've said countless times on here now, if West Ham wanted him, he'd have been gone by now. It's worrying that no-one appears to want him now. Will he up his game this season, or will he be sulking and having to eat humble pie because he's still with us. He was, in part, to blame for our relegation imho - so he has a lot of "making up to do" if he's going to stay here, in my eyes. :roll:

starbug

by starbug » 18 Jul 2008 08:45

I dont think Kitson could bear a season where his (away) kit is as bright as his hair.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Jul 2008 08:47

Yeah, but like I said earlier, his hair will clash terribly with the red and white of Stoke. :wink: I bet he hasn't thought of that.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 18 Jul 2008 08:48

Shorey had 0 to do with our relegation

As for Kitson there is no smoke without fire and ive heard from to many places that he rocks the boat

his attitude wasnt great at times last season so dropping a division will only make it worse

a big ginger hypocrite, he got frustrated playing for us last year and he's walking into a Tony Pulis team pmsl couldt make it up

bye Dave :lol: :lol:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Jul 2008 08:51

juanpablo a big ginger hypocrite, he got frustrated playing for us last year and he's walking into a Tony Pulis team pmsl couldt make it up.

Indeed - i remember a particular sulk about not playing passing in triangles (or somesuch) in training. Be careful what you wish for, Dave!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Jul 2008 08:54

"Shorey had 0 to do with our relegation" - EVERY player was culpable imho and he didn't play to the best of his abilities, particularly towards the end.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Jul 2008 08:54

Disappointed that he's gone, but it's a fact of life that some were going to go and he if doesn't want to be here (or just wants to be in the PL) then it is probably the best thing for all concerned.

It was stated a couple of weeks ago by Hammond that any money from sales will be made available to the squad. So I'll wait and see what happens on that front before I join the lambasting.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 18 Jul 2008 08:58

juanpablo Shorey had 0 to do with our relegation

As for Kitson there is no smoke without fire and ive heard from to many places that he rocks the boat

his attitude wasnt great at times last season so dropping a division will only make it worse

a big ginger hypocrite, he got frustrated playing for us last year and he's walking into a Tony Pulis team pmsl couldt make it up

bye Dave :lol: :lol:

On this miserable morning that actually made me LOL :lol:

956 posts