Sam Sodje

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sam Sodje

by BR2 » 23 Jul 2008 11:50

I do feel that our club really doesn't try very hard to move players on,a skill just as necessary as bringing new players in.
The likes of Bennett,Sodje,Halls,Stack and so on were never going to make it here so having cost £1million or so over the past couple of years you would think that the club would be much more proactive in getting them off the wage roll.

Lower down the leagues clubs really do have to try to get money for outgoing players so that they can afford wages for new incoming (often free transfers)players whereas,possibly because of all the money that we have sloshing around,it looks as though we don't put much effort into shifting deadwood.
I would like to be proved wrong but it just feels all so casual.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 23 Jul 2008 11:51

He does not seem happy. I also think Coppell has it wrong, i think Sodje should be given a chance.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 23 Jul 2008 12:23

BR2 I do feel that our club really doesn't try very hard to move players on,a skill just as necessary as bringing new players in.
The likes of Bennett,Sodje,Halls,Stack and so on were never going to make it here so having cost £1million or so over the past couple of years you would think that the club would be much more proactive in getting them off the wage roll.

Lower down the leagues clubs really do have to try to get money for outgoing players so that they can afford wages for new incoming (often free transfers)players whereas,possibly because of all the money that we have sloshing around,it looks as though we don't put much effort into shifting deadwood.

Totally agree BR.

I bet we're holding out for fee's for these players that are just taking up wages and not pushing them hard on other clubs to see if there are any takers.

Long term loans, free transfers, selling but possibly paying a bit of their wages still to make up a short fall, there must be ways of making our players more attractive to other teams and I wonder how much we go in for this knid of thing considering how many players like Sodje and Halls we've had filling up the wrong end of our squad.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 23 Jul 2008 12:29

Southbank Old Boy
BR2 I do feel that our club really doesn't try very hard to move players on,a skill just as necessary as bringing new players in.

Totally agree BR.

I bet we're holding out for fee's for these players that are just taking up wages and not pushing them hard on other clubs to see if there are any takers.

Long term loans, free transfers, selling but possibly paying a bit of their wages still to make up a short fall, there must be ways of making our players more attractive to other teams and I wonder how much we go in for this knid of thing considering how many players like Sodje and Halls we've had filling up the wrong end of our squad.

To be fair Bennett, Sodje, Halls and Stack have all spent a fair chunk of the last year out on loan so its not like the club haven't used this rote to at least partially ease the wage burden. I also doubt the statement that we are holding out for fees for them either.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Jul 2008 12:32

Sam Sodje He ain't Efe, he's my brother

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 23 Jul 2008 12:33

Vision To be fair Bennett, Sodje, Halls and Stack have all spent a fair chunk of the last year out on loan so its not like the club haven't used this rote to at least partially ease the wage burden. I also doubt the statement that we are holding out for fees for them either.

I was just hoping that the loans would lead to something permanent or that we'd have got a few more out the door for this season. That's a bit unrealistic to be fair.

I'm sure there was something a while back about us wanting a fee for one of the "squad players" like Sodje. I might've got that a bit mixed up somewhere along the line though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Jul 2008 13:52

I think Sodje should have been released. 7th choice (8th if you count Cisse) and has been sent off twice for us in about 5 games.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 23 Jul 2008 13:58

Perhaps it is a sign of how good a squad that we have considering many have such a low opinion of Sodje - but Charlton fans sound desperate to have Sodje. Let us hope we can do business for both the clubs' and his sakes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A38630225

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Jul 2008 13:59

SCIAG I think Sodje should have been released. 7th choice (8th if you count Cisse) and has been sent off twice for us in about 5 games.

Quite harsh to not want him because of his sending offs. Sonko has been sent off more times than Sodje. Also bear in mind that Sodje was unfairly sent off at Old Trafford when Rooney was offside. :roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Jul 2008 14:28

Coppell says that he only wants players who really want to play for RFC and it would appear that Sam Sodje is really keen to do just that.

It's good to hear a player stressing how much he wants to show supporters what he can really do and prove his manager wrong.

Maybe fate will conspire to give him a lucky break and a way into the first team setup, and he will then go on to show that he does deserve a place at the club.

Good luck to him.

Streets

by Streets » 23 Jul 2008 14:44

Memo to Sodje

You are shit.

Be grateful Coppell had pennies to spend and gave you a chance at Premiership level, you'll never get another one.

If Bennett is rated higer than you, you should consider joining the RPA or something.

Cheerio.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 23 Jul 2008 15:39

SCIAG I think Sodje should have been released. 7th choice (8th if you count Cisse) and has been sent off twice for us in about 5 games.

He's still under contract though so we'd have to have paid that up in full.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Jul 2008 18:05

Dear Sam Sodje,

Please explain what part of getting rinsed on your debut by Emile Heskey, failing to deal with Swansea and getting sent off for a ridiculous challenge in your only appearance for us last season, single-handedly costing WBA promotion in 2006/7 with your comedy defending to let Derby score the winner in the playoff final through shit marking and generally looking absolute dogshit every time I've seen a Charlton game on TV makes you good enough and so wronged. I have more natural footballing ability and brains than you, doesn't mean I'm playing Premiership football you moron - be thankful you're even at a professional club because every time I've seen you you've looked like a f*cking pub player.

Lots of Love,

Royalee

P.S. You are shit

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jul 2008 19:07

Royalee Dear Sam Sodje,

Please explain what part of getting rinsed on your debut by Emile Heskey, failing to deal with Swansea and getting sent off for a ridiculous challenge in your only appearance for us last season, single-handedly costing WBA promotion in 2006/7 with your comedy defending to let Derby score the winner in the playoff final through shit marking and generally looking absolute dogshit every time I've seen a Charlton game on TV makes you good enough and so wronged. I have more natural footballing ability and brains than you, doesn't mean I'm playing Premiership football you moron - be thankful you're even at a professional club because every time I've seen you you've looked like a f*cking pub player.

Lots of Love,

Royalee

P.S. You are shit

Have to beat the offers from league clubs off with a stick so you could go to uni yeah?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Jul 2008 19:16

Ian Royal
Royalee Dear Sam Sodje,

Lots of Love,

Royalee

P.S. You are shit

Have to beat the offers from league clubs off with a stick so you could go to uni yeah?

Not really, although I don't see them lining up for him right now either.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 24 Jul 2008 11:56

Sodje does a Sonko..

Sodje blasts 'joke' situation
Royals stopper unhappy at squad snub
By James Pearson Last updated: 24th July 2008

Sam Sodje has hit out at Reading manager Steve Coppell for leaving him out of their pre-season tour of Sweden.

Coppell recently conceded it would be best for all parties if Sodje, who spent last season at Charlton, would leave.

Sodje is in the final year of his Royals contract, but he feels that while he remains at the club he should be at least given the chance to play.

Joke
"I am working hard and cannot believe I am here and not playing - it is a joke," he told The Sun.

"The manager has not said I am not part of his plans but you would be a fool not to know what is going on.

"I think his opinion is wrong, I will tell him that to his face. He is a good manager but I'll prove to him he is wrong if he lets me go."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 51,00.html

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 24 Jul 2008 12:16

Royalee Dear Sam Sodje,

Lots of Love,

Royalee

P.S. You are shit

ALOL to be fair, also 'Tinrib' the difference between Sodje and Sonko is Sodje really wants to play for Reading, Sonko can't be arsed.

Colchester Royal

by Colchester Royal » 24 Jul 2008 12:22

Kevin Doyles Right Foot Bikey>Inga>Doobs>Sonko>Pearce=Sodje>Bennett

Bikey=Inga=Doobs>Sonko>Pearce>Sodje=Bennett

that might be about right.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jul 2008 14:39

SpaceCruiser

Quite harsh to not want him because of his sending offs. Sonko has been sent off more times than Sodje. Also bear in mind that Sodje was unfairly sent off at Old Trafford when Rooney was offside. :roll:

FWIW, a) Sonko has played more games and b) they've been sent off the same amount of times (twice). I know both Sodje's yellows at OT were unfair (one due to diving by Heinze, the other offside as you mentioned). Sonko was unfairly sent off at Villa Park- it was obvious to anyone there he's slipped, and the ref sent him off before he could even stand up FFS!

IMO,

Bikey>>>Ivar=Doobs>Pearce=Cisse(as a CB)>Sonko>Bennett>Gunnarsson (as a CB)>>>>>Sodje.

tlcs

by tlcs » 24 Jul 2008 15:10

Totally agree with "streets"...You can dress shit up many ways but at the end of the it will always be SHIT