Even *I* am actually quite concerned

223 posts
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Even *I* am actually quite concerned

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 23 Aug 2008 20:13

We've got all the problems we had last season.

The same team, minus a couple of our better players.

What else do you expect? It's gonna be a very long season. We just don't look like scoring from open play at the moment.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 23 Aug 2008 20:17

The 17 Bus
rfc58
The 17 Bus We have sold just two players so far, hardly a fire sale here, and we did not have to sell, whereas they had to lose Upson as they could not afford his wages after the last relegation.

Things have changed a bit now in football, and contracts are a tad more realistic.

Did you know that Birmingham have a squad of just 20 players at the moment, if we had that the fans would be even more angry.

But what would you say out of our squad are good enough to actually make the clubs ambition of promotion come true ?

Its quality not quantity.

Whilst we have players like Bennett, Sodje etc in the squad, we all know they are two bob.

That would be two players who are not wanted, ahve been told they can leave, but no one wants them, have to do better than that.

Have to better than that.. OK.

Here goes, we as a club are aiming to get back into the Premiership, according to JM and Co.

With that in mind, and the clubs stance of not spending money, I will list players off the top of my head who in my opinion are not good enough to compete at that level.

Murty/Inga/Convey/Kebe/Cisse/Long.. and I have not even delved into the reserves who are supposedly on the verge of making the first team.

Now if you think any of the above are good enough... well..

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 23 Aug 2008 20:30

So just four of todays staring 11 are not good enough for the prem, that sounds better than what I would think, if we had 7 that are good enough i would have expected better play.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 23 Aug 2008 20:34

The 17 Bus So just four of todays staring 11 are not good enough for the prem, that sounds better than what I would think, if we had 7 that are good enough i would have expected better play.

As I said, thats off the top of my head.

I won't comment on the forwards, as until they get quality service, then they are sort of excluded.

I could add Harper to that list, as I am not his greatest fan, but I guess others see him different.

You see my point then ?

Fezza

by Fezza » 23 Aug 2008 20:44

Just got back from honeymoon on a massive high only for the R's to put a dampner on things (well not really it's only football after all!!! Umm hi hun). Needless to say I am still in awe of those fans that went out and sat in SC's parking lot asking for him to stay. He has lost the plot. We have now had 18 months to sign a right winger to replace a then injured, now run away Little, we have known for 12 months that we were going to need a left back, we have known we would need a central midfield player that could tackle for two YEARS, Kevin Doyle has still only scored one goal in seven months and Bobby Convey is still the lightweight, injury prone piece of rubbish he has been for two seasons.

Reading players if you read this, today you were a disgrace.

PATHETIC

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 23 Aug 2008 20:50

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe What else do you expect? It's gonna be a very long season. We just don't look like scoring from open play at the moment.

Well technically the header was from open play - even though the ball was played back in from a corner - no longer a set piece or dead ball.

Still, should've pulled Doyle off after the missed pen. I'm afraid his confidence is too damaged.

Found myself wondering if I was watching last season too. Sonko giving-up a (soft) pen. Getting a red. Conceding 4. No goals from the strikers.

At least Coppell used his subs with more than 5 min to go. At least it's only the 3rd game. At least this was an away loss. At least we have alternatives (albeit debatable).

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Aug 2008 20:51

Fezza Just got back from honeymoon on a massive high only for the R's to put a dampner on things........Reading players if you read this, today you were a disgrace.

PATHETIC

jesus, how long was your honeymoon??!!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Aug 2008 21:06

Royal Rother He won't just sit back and do nothing when he has a number of alternatives chomping at the bit.

We said this all last season.....we then got relegated.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Aug 2008 21:14

FiNeRaIn
Royal Rother He won't just sit back and do nothing when he has a number of alternatives chomping at the bit.

RR I thought you were at least grounded in reality - that kind of behaviour is Coppell all over. For an intelligent man, he doesn't ever seem to learn any lessons...we're making the same mistakes we were making this time last year.

Soul Man

by Soul Man » 23 Aug 2008 21:23

Defensively a total shambles once again. Downes with the defensive coach.

Fezza

by Fezza » 23 Aug 2008 21:23

leon
Fezza Just got back from honeymoon on a massive high only for the R's to put a dampner on things........Reading players if you read this, today you were a disgrace.

PATHETIC

jesus, how long was your honeymoon??!!

Two weeks!

I was getting quite hopeful for this season, despite the manager and dead wood that seems to be our squad, and thought that with a couple of signings whilst I was away and perhaps Jem and Harps in the midfield we would be ok. Needless to say I should have realised that there was no rose on my glasses, it was just a pink haze from all the manure built up over the last year!

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 23 Aug 2008 21:35

leon
FiNeRaIn

For an intelligent man, he doesn't ever seem to learn any lessons...we're making the same mistakes we were making this time last year

A line and a half that says it all

backintheday

by backintheday » 23 Aug 2008 21:37

Thou Voice For the love of God...

...it's only been 3 GAMES...

...let the damn transfer window close and then let the team get settled.

How do you expect our manager to prepare teams when he knows that any day a player will be swept away.

No, wait until September 2nd then RFC will find it's feet and kick arse in the Championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AYgRawlEVo

I see what our saying but it's not only 3 games.
At the beginning of last season the team needed 1 or 2 new faces strenghten the squad. but no investment.
At Christmas, it was clear we needed 2 or 3 quality players to give a lift to the team, and we know the outcome of that.
And fast approaching another transfer window, players have left & not replaced and still no significant, half decent, proven signings!!

:evil: "Where's the loot gone Mr Ego"? :evil:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 23 Aug 2008 21:48

To my mind Doyle should have been taken out of the fray today. His mind must be turned by all the transfer talk, which is a joke really considering how he's been playing for some time.

I remember when Doyle was playing really well in our promotion season and the first season in the prem. I had great delight in telling all my Norwich supporting friends that he was the new Peter Beardsley, but stronger.

I liked the way he had quick feet and a deft touch, much like Beardsley, albeit with slightly less skill.

But I really feel for the guy now because he seems to have lost something somewhere along the way. Who knows what goes on in a player's mind. Maybe the second season in the premiership has demoralised him, maybe it's the transfer talk.

Either way he needs a comforting arm around the shoulder. Send him on holiday if that would do any good. He needs to regroup and reassess. Go home and have some of mum's cooking, then come back determined to put things right.

On another issues, Cisse was terrible today. He got caught in possession more times than Pete Doherty.

And has nobody mentioned yet that the Sonko penalty was actually outside the area?

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 23 Aug 2008 22:20

Actually i thought it was a pen,just inside the box.In any case,what was he doing making a challenge like that in that position,same with his second booking,what the hell was he doing tackling like that on the halfway line?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Aug 2008 22:21

leon
FiNeRaIn

RR I thought you were at least grounded in reality - that kind of behaviour is Coppell all over. For an intelligent man, he doesn't ever seem to learn any lessons...we're making the same mistakes we were making this time last year.

I AM grounded in reality. Totally.

If the man never learns any lessons how the hell do you think he has managed a long and successful career in football management and won 2 of the last 3 seasons' Manager of The Year Awards, in what, his 14th and 15th years in the job?

His recent ineffectiveness should not just wipe the memory of everything he has achieved in the game. He has always sat back, looked at things calmly, then made his move. The fact he didn't act last year will forever stay in some people's memory sadly - we KNOW he's a thinker, we KNOW his style, why expect it to change all of a sudden? The big question I ask you guys is why you think it is reasonable to think that, after 1 year of ineffectiveness, he won't ever be decisive again?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Aug 2008 22:21

The root of both our defensive and attacking problems is in our completely dysfunctional midfield.

Coppell HAS to make changes now. Bikey, Karacan and Marek have to play as soon as possible.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Aug 2008 22:25

Southbank Old Boy
Royal Rother It's far far too early for a debate about when Coppell will walk due to failure of this squad.

3 games in, W1, D1, L1. We have had to put up with Cisse in place of Matejovski for much of those 3 games. And the utterly hapless Lita and Doyle partnership has played almost 270 minutes together.

We have a number of decent alternatives. Now Coppell needs to use them. If they don't work and come mid October we're not Top 6 then fine, the manager's position is open to wider debate, but there's plenty of time yet for things to change. He won't just sit back and do nothing when he has a number of alternatives chomping at the bit.

Loyalty is a strong aspect of Coppell's management style but I will be staggered if his patience with underperforming players is not drastically shorter than last season.

What makes you think he's going to change it about?

What are these decent alternatives?

I agree it's too early to say he should be going on the back off 3 performances, even taking into account the last 18 months. We've gone with him now, we have to stick with it until it's shown to not work, whenever that is. Personally I can see Coppell dragging us out of this malaise and so I predict that'll be some time towards the end of the year.

Re your 1st question, see my answer in previous post.

Other decent alternatives - Bikey, Matejovski, Murty (when fit), Duberry (when fit), Pearce, NHunt, Mooney, Long, Karacan.

They would struggle to be worse than Rosenior, Ingimarsson, Sonko, Cisse, Lita and Doyle today. And we still only lost 4-2!!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Aug 2008 23:51

Royal Rother
leon
FiNeRaIn We said this all last season.....we then got relegated.

I AM grounded in reality. Totally.

If the man never learns any lessons how the hell do you think he has managed a long and successful career in football management and won 2 of the last 3 seasons' Manager of The Year Awards, in what, his 14th and 15th years in the job?

His recent ineffectiveness should not just wipe the memory of everything he has achieved in the game. He has always sat back, looked at things calmly, then made his move. The fact he didn't act last year will forever stay in some people's memory sadly - we KNOW he's a thinker, we KNOW his style, why expect it to change all of a sudden? The big question I ask you guys is why you think it is reasonable to think that, after 1 year of ineffectiveness, he won't ever be decisive again?

Absolutely he's a good manager/a Reading great...I love the guy - but he hasn't learnt any lessons as far as I can see.

He put together a great side but then as soon as it needed replacing/updating/improving he's failed. He built a quite fantastic side on the formula of harrying centre mid fielders and wingers capable of putting balls into counter attacking forwards. Lost Sidwell, Little (2/3 way through the 06/07 season) that f*cked us last season because we didn't replace them at all.

Now Shorey's gone (tbf he'd gone at the end of 06/07 season) and inexplicably our best player Kitson (I read about 4 years ago Kitson described as "Reading's Talisman" - too f*cking right if ever there was a player suited to a club...)

You can get entrenched in a situation and not see the action that required to rectify it. I hope Coppell isn't there.

We will see if next weekend he plays Doyle and Lita. If he does I think we're f*cked and so is he.
Last edited by leon on 24 Aug 2008 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 24 Aug 2008 00:21

The reason why we are where we are now is because of this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65966&p=1455870#p1455870

A year down the line and Madejski's £30M+ richer, far more than it took to build his ego busting MadStad. The bloke is having a laugh, but at least his statement of "Get me back in the Prem so I can sell" well John .......... this is football ...... sell £8.5M worth of players and buy a laughable 800k = your fecked.

223 posts