Hunt should never take a penalty again

JR

Hunt should never take a penalty again

by JR » 10 Dec 2008 08:33

Stephen Hunt consciously makes the decision to give the goalkeeper at least a 50% chance of saving every penalty he takes.

All his penalties are placed at the perfect height for the keeper and at a lame pace that means the keeper will save it if he guesses the right way. I find it unacceptable that he is the penalty taker given his lack of penalty taking class.

I do not condone what Shane Long did last night, however those of you who saw his penalty a Stoke will know he is the more clinical penalty taker and would have had a higher % chance of scoring the penalty.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Hunt should never take a penalty again

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 10 Dec 2008 08:36

Pass the responsibility back to Doyle so that he can contine to add to his goal tally.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 10 Dec 2008 08:36

Where's Kristin when you need her?

royalshaker

by royalshaker » 10 Dec 2008 08:57

to be honest i dont think there is anyone in squad who gives me confidence that they will regularly score from the spot , even doyle has missed a couple

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 10 Dec 2008 09:11

Never take one again? Don't be absurd!

I think I'm right in saying that Hunt had a 100% record before last night (3 from 3 in the league? I stand to be corrected), so I really can't understand what Longy was playing at. It can't have helped Stephen's concentration. Not that I'm excusing him the miss, but really, these are professional footballers, they must have a routine for pens - I thought the agreement was that S Hunt takes all pens except those won by Doyler (which Kev takes himself) until such a time as he misses, then rotation starts?

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 10 Dec 2008 09:14

Wasn't it made fairly common knowledge that the rule with penalties is that whoever gets the ball first takes the penalty, and we do not have a chosen penalty taker (I vaguely remember this being raised in an interview with Dillon from the OS). This rule is exactly how Hunt came about taking penalties in the first place! With this in mind I find it massively unfair on Long that Hunt thought he had some God given right to be taking the pen.

Long may not be our best player, and I don't think he will make it with us, but scoring a penalty last night would have increased his confidence massively. Who knows, he may even have gone on a run of scoring goals from the bench. Instead, the RFC 'great team spirit' myth was once again embaressingly exposed, we missed a penalty, and our only backup should a striker get injured has taken a huge dent to his confidence. On top of all this, Hunt was absolutly shocking last night, fingers crossed that Mr Moyes has already handed over that cheque, I wouldn't want anyone to rip his arm off for it.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 10 Dec 2008 09:16

I must admit Huntys penaltys are not the best as i have to Agree the keeper always has a good chance of saving them.

But i dont no who else should take them.

I think we should give his Brother Noel have a go at them.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 10 Dec 2008 09:16

Hahnemann's Hairdresser Wasn't it made fairly common knowledge that the rule with penalties is that whoever gets the ball first takes the penalty,

What the Fcuk!!??

Are we back in primary school? I don't dispute what you are saying, but I find it absolutely amazing.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 10 Dec 2008 09:24

Disagree there.

If Long had taken the penalty, i dont think he would of done any better.

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 10 Dec 2008 09:26

CMRoyal
Hahnemann's Hairdresser Wasn't it made fairly common knowledge that the rule with penalties is that whoever gets the ball first takes the penalty,

What the Fcuk!!??

Are we back in primary school? I don't dispute what you are saying, but I find it absolutely amazing.

There was a certain logic to it based on the theory that any professional footballer should be good enough to score a penalty and that scoring in a game is more a matter of confidence. The player who grabs the ball first has shown a massive sign of his confidence in scoring the pen and therefore is as good a choice of taker as anyone else.

It is a theory that has led to Leroy Lita missing a couple IIRC. :|

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 10 Dec 2008 09:31

CMRoyal

What the Fcuk!!??

If memory serves, there was a quote in the EP from Coppell / Dillon / SHunt / Doyle saying that Hunty will take the pens until he misses unless Doyle is fouled for the penalty (at which point Doyle will take the pen).

Shane Long should have stepped away immediately and not acted like a stroppy schoolboy. Oh, and he should be looking towards Ingimarsson for tips on how to score a goal.

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 10 Dec 2008 09:35

CMRoyal

What the Fcuk!!??

How does that work with multiball? Can they all take one until we score? Where's Attwell when we need him? :lol: :lol:

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 10 Dec 2008 09:41

Shane Long always sulks when he doesnt get his way.

Look at liverpool away last year when he got subbed, Chucking his shirt on the floor he thinks hes gods gift.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 10 Dec 2008 09:41

I think Federici should have taken it

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Dec 2008 09:42

bishbosh92 Shane Long always sulks when he doesnt get his way.

Look at liverpool away last year when he got subbed, Chucking his shirt on the floor he thinks hes gods gift.

he's still only a little boy plus out of everyone he needs a goal to bring some well needed confidence

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 10 Dec 2008 09:45

loyalroyal4life
bishbosh92 Shane Long always sulks when he doesnt get his way.

he's still only a little boy plus out of everyone he needs a goal to bring some well needed confidence
True but he has been with us four season now, and still hasnt made any big impact, Will he ever break in to the first team?

If not sell him and get a decent Impact sub striker in.

The Positive One!

by The Positive One! » 10 Dec 2008 10:20

Time for Steven to go I think. Now seems just a bit too big for his boots. What's all the moaning about Shane Long anyway - always done a good job when he has come on, worked hard and is keen - good sign when he wants to take the penalty. HIs movement from a defensive position to the forward line when needed is excellent. It is difficult to prove what you are capable of when only given ten or so minutes in each game.

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 10 Dec 2008 10:30

The Positive One! Time for Steven to go I think. Now seems just a bit too big for his boots. What's all the moaning about Shane Long anyway - always done a good job when he has come on, worked hard and is keen - good sign when he wants to take the penalty. HIs movement from a defensive position to the forward line when needed is excellent. It is difficult to prove what you are capable of when only given ten or so minutes in each game.

I cant see were you coming from, but long doesn't make the impact he used too, time for shane to go to a different club.

Hunt go..... Noway are4 you on drugs!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 10 Dec 2008 11:35

bottom left hand corner
The Positive One! Time for Steven to go I think. Now seems just a bit too big for his boots. What's all the moaning about Shane Long anyway - always done a good job when he has come on, worked hard and is keen - good sign when he wants to take the penalty. HIs movement from a defensive position to the forward line when needed is excellent. It is difficult to prove what you are capable of when only given ten or so minutes in each game.

I cant see were you coming from, but long doesn't make the impact he used too, time for shane to go to a different club.

Hunt go..... Noway are4 you on drugs!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Agreed, Hunt has been dog shit for a few months. If we could get £6m for him and replace him with Andrew Surman it would be fantastic business

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Dec 2008 11:39

I hate getting penalties as we seem to miss more (usually as they are badly placed and too convenient for the keeper) than we score. However I think Doyle is the best taker then Hunty.