Back from the game (genuinely) - Donny away

142 posts
Shortbread

Re: Back from the game (genuinely) - Donny away

by Shortbread » 18 Mar 2009 19:30

Picking up a couple of points from the thread:

1. I wonder whether Hunt walking straight off at the end was anything to do with the boos he got when he came on? Granted, it was only a few but, please guys, let's not let the negativity of the MadStad affect the away following too.

2. The formation seemed to me to be less 4-5-1 as 4-4-1-1, with Matejovsky seeming to have a roving role right across the middle. Quite a few times second half he veered out to the right to let Doyle pop up more centrally. That takes good understanding and it seemed to come pretty naturally. Matejovsky clearly thrived on it and was at the heart of a lot of what we did. Harper and Boris's contributions though were also immense.

2a (added) Also, good to see that Boris lasted the 90 minutes - hope Cisse was watching as Boris may well not last the pace for the rest of the season - but also that Matejovsky did likewise. I've doubted his stamina in the past but, if last night's game is anything to go by, he may be more than just a 70-minute man.

3. Doyle is clearly not a winger though - Donny put two on him most of the time and he struggled to get anything creative from it (though usually won a throw-in). What a fit Little would have made of it last night is anyone's guess.

4. Ohh: and Dave Kitson - what a bargain, what a bargain. Or, as I heard last night - what a profit!

Overall, an encouraging result to give us some confidence against a decent, but rather ineffectual Donny side: let's hope we can use it as a springboard and not let it bring the false optimism of last season's result at Boro at around this time.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 18 Mar 2009 20:42

1. I wonder whether Hunt walking straight off at the end was anything to do with the boos he got when he came on? Granted, it was only a few but, please guys, let's not let the negativity of the MadStad affect the away following too.

Well does he sulk because he's dropped or raise his game. Being part of a team means exactly that - irrespective of his position within the team. SHunt has had a fair amount of time on the pitch to sort himself out.
His warm / kick about at half time was laughable and generally done in isolation. To walk straight off the pitch while the team came over to us to show appreciation was interesting.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 18 Mar 2009 20:57

To be fair to Hunt he was the left winger so was on the side of the pitch nearest to the tunnel at the end of the game. He did acknowledge the fans and then turned and walked away and may well not have seen Rosenior gesturing to the team to go and applaud us, several other players were heading away and only turned back when called by which time Hunt was almost at the touchline.

Or he could have been sulking.....

BanffshireRoyal

by BanffshireRoyal » 18 Mar 2009 21:25

Just home and haven't read all posts. SHunt being near the touchline was a poor excuse for him clearing off. Marcus was at the far end of the pitch and still came down to see us at the end.

The result was a great relief and the second half in particular was good. I've been down to 4 games this season and we've won 'em all. Next booked for the Birmingham game and am now more hopeful again that it could be a day of celebration.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 18 Mar 2009 22:36

Virgin Media has some free highlights of the game.
What a great pass by Matejovsky.
What a calm pass from Armstrong.
What a sweet strike from Kitson.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 18 Mar 2009 22:42

BanffshireRoyal Just home and haven't read all posts. SHunt being near the touchline was a poor excuse for him clearing off. Marcus was at the far end of the pitch and still came down to see us at the end.

The result was a great relief and the second half in particular was good. I've been down to 4 games this season and we've won 'em all. Next booked for the Birmingham game and am now more hopeful again that it could be a day of celebration.

Marcus would always travel the length of the pitch to acknowledge and applaud the fans. Top man.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Mar 2009 22:54

All in all, a very good day out.

As mentioned, a pretty good performance all round, although I did think it showed at times that we weren't used to playing it. For instance, at times Kitson - who was meant to be playing the lone striker role - was dropping back too much, so we were effectively playing 4-6-0 and so when we did break down the wings there wasn't anyone in the middle to get the ball to,

It would have been an injustice if we'd not won, but also if we'd scored another couple of goals.

All credit to Doncaster, though - a super little club, who were for many years the Northern equivalent of us - similar size, similar small-town club with a similar history and achievements - and then we got JM as Chairman and they got a corrupt Chairman who burnt down the main stand at Belle Vue and took them out of the Football League. So it's great to see them doing well. Really good, low-profile and common-sense stewarding, too.

And their fans seem a decent, friendly bunch too - with the right attitude. They really enjoy the good times when they happen but they don't expect them too much or get all bitter when they don't happen - just like Reading fans used to be before the Premier League came along.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 18 Mar 2009 23:53

SteveRoyal Virgin Media has some free highlights of the game.

Get over yourself.. Matejovsky's pass was very standard

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 18 Mar 2009 23:59

londinium

for him yes, for the rest of our team\midfield not so much......

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Mar 2009 12:19

juanpablo
londinium

for him yes, for the rest of our team\midfield not so much......

Didn't look a great deal on first viewing, but on subsequant looks he did slid it through a narrow gap between two Donny players and past a third to reach Armstrong. Pretty good IMO.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 19 Mar 2009 12:29

who was captian? cause on the caption competition harper dosent appear to be wairing the band around his leg or arm

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Mar 2009 12:31

WoodleyRoyal who was captian? cause on the caption competition harper dosent appear to be wairing the band around his leg or arm

Harper was. Maybe he was trying a new location and wearing it around his cock

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 Mar 2009 16:42

BanffshireRoyal Just home and haven't read all posts. SHunt being near the touchline was a poor excuse for him clearing off. Marcus was at the far end of the pitch and still came down to see us at the end.

LOL at fans cheering when hunt gets subbed, and then moaning when he doesnt pay us the respect we"deserve"after a game

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Mar 2009 17:38

handbags_harris

Harper - his best game for a long time I felt. He is the water carrier of this team, picks it up off the defence and plays balls to instigate attacks. He hassles, he harries, he organises, he's never in hiding, he always wants the ball. Poor form maybe due to Coppell's insistence at going 4-4-2, and therefore being over-run? Harper's fault or Coppell's?

Coppell's, with bells on, as has been Bikey's absence for much of the last 2 seasons.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 19 Mar 2009 19:23

londinium Get over yourself.

I don't see how my post could have been worthy of your reply. :?

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 19 Mar 2009 20:06

SteveRoyal

Because it was hardly a 'great pass'.. it was fairly standard as Armstrong had made a good run and there was a lot of space to play it into.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 19 Mar 2009 20:16

NeilDRFC You are the best footballing side I've seen at the Keepmoat this season (except for us of course!).
You nullified our game very effectively and didn't allow us to boss the midfield which is what we have been doing in most games during our brilliant run since Christmas.

One poster picked on a comment by one of our fans - that we were 'holding on' when you scored. That's how I was feeling because you were enjoying a very good spell and by that time I would have been very happy with a point.

It's always a real sickener to lose to a late goal but in fairness to you guys, the victory was deserved.

I just hope we can gain a few more points to complete our rescue act and maintain our place in this league.

You on the other hand, certainly on last night's showing, should deservedly go up automatically.
Good luck for the run-in.

Fair and balanced post by an away fan. Thank you for making the effort to come over here, register and post.

T-Rex could take some lessons.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 19 Mar 2009 20:51

Ian Royal
WoodleyRoyal who was captian? cause on the caption competition harper dosent appear to be wairing the band around his leg or arm

Harper was. Maybe he was trying a new location and wearing it around his cock

That position suits him perfectly!

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 19 Mar 2009 21:17

londinium
SteveRoyal

Because it was hardly a 'great pass'.. it was fairly standard as Armstrong had made a good run and there was a lot of space to play it into.

He made the space required to pass - and he squeezed it between two Donny defenders, perfectly weighted. :|

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Mar 2009 21:30

I think you'll find somewhere in the middle ground between you lies the real situation.

Not great, but not standard. A very well placed and picked out pass to reach a good run.

142 posts