Hob Nob Regular

Re: Official Coventry Match Thread

by Gunny Fishcake » 04 Apr 2009 17:16

Yet another embarassing usless pile of crap , god we are shite

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 04 Apr 2009 17:17

Gunny Fishcake Yet another embarassing usless pile of crap , god we are shite

I wonder if they (the players) know it?!
If so, SORT IT OUT

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 04 Apr 2009 17:19

Play offs then.

Who are the quality players that will be heading out the door. Who in their right mind will match Readings wage for Hunt. Not totally convinced big money offers will be coming for Doyle either.

I shouldn't really be so negative as i've only just got in and haven't followed the game at all. Did Tabb play well?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 04 Apr 2009 17:25

The way we're playing Sheff Utd will have us.

However what really decent sides have we played recently. Anybody who has supported this Reading team for a few years knows we raise our game against better opposition. I think we can do so again on Friday and fill us up with confidence for the final push. For so long we've been good against good teams but inconsistent. Bode well for Friday? I like to cling to hope.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 04 Apr 2009 17:26

Mad Dog's Ghost Play offs then.

Who are the quality players that will be heading out the door. Who in their right mind will match Readings wage for Hunt. Not totally convinced big money offers will be coming for Doyle either.

I shouldn't really be so negative as i've only just got in and haven't followed the game at all. Did Tabb play well?

Those so called " quality " players are why we have blown it this season , they are all so vastly overated and not one of them would hold a regular place in the Prem , not one .

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 04 Apr 2009 17:31

The sad thing is we do not have a side with the desire, passion or effort to win throough in the play-offs, sides that win them are sides that want to be in that position and want promotion to a higher level, our present squad do not have either of those values, and in addition we have an owner that doesnt want it either. So he will think it's been a successfull season, another full house for a play-off semi will send him home happy.

I agree with an earlier comment that SSC is going to leave on a downer, and should have probably gone at the end of last season, time to re-group and re-build and that will be nice and cheap for JM, just how he likes it.

by 9165 » 04 Apr 2009 17:59

Sounds like the bloke on Final Score for BBC had it right........`Reading failed to take advantage of Wolves/Brum not playing, but on this showing, did not deserve to`,
Could apply to the last 2 months worth of games really........

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 04 Apr 2009 18:05

3 points a MUST now against sheff utd or it is playoffs

JR

by JR » 04 Apr 2009 18:10

you lot need to start enjoying the fact that we are involved in a promotion battle that is going to the wire. Start appreciating the fact that reading is one of the best run clubs in the country and that ssc is doing a better job this year than anyone else could. Yes we are not playing well, but it is still completely in our own hands with only 6 games to go. Today has shown us again that marek has to start and noel deserves a run in the side. Im really excited about the next 4 weeks.

statto

by statto » 04 Apr 2009 18:13

"Coppell isn't (and wasn't) going to be with us next season no matter what happens. It will be a great pity if he has to leave when everyone is feeling down rather than celebrating promotion."

Why do you throw this into the conversation as if it's a well known fact when it's actually just a totally unfounded opinion?

Unless you are best mates with Steve Coppell and he has told you personally over dinner with him and his wife he is stepping down then you, just like anyone else, has no idea.

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 04 Apr 2009 18:14

JR you lot need to start enjoying the fact that we are involved in a promotion battle that is going to the wire. Start appreciating the fact that reading is one of the best run clubs in the country and that ssc is doing a better job this year than anyone else could. Yes we are not playing well, but it is still completely in our own hands with only 6 games to go. Today has shown us again that marek has to start and noel deserves a run in the side. Im really excited about the next 4 weeks.

Good post & fully agreed!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Apr 2009 18:20

JR ssc is doing a better job this year than anyone else could.

In your completely unfounded opinion.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 04 Apr 2009 18:24

Royalee

What does this mean? How is one's opinion unfounded?

Plonker

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 04 Apr 2009 18:25

JR you lot need to start enjoying the fact that we are involved in a promotion battle that is going to the wire. Start appreciating the fact that reading is one of the best run clubs in the country and that ssc is doing a better job this year than anyone else could. Yes we are not playing well, but it is still completely in our own hands with only 6 games to go. Today has shown us again that marek has to start and noel deserves a run in the side. Im really excited about the next 4 weeks.

Absolute crap.....it's been so enjoyable since Christmas , so enjoyable being beaten by teams in the bottom half at home , so enjoyable seeing our so called Premiership stars playing like sunday league players , so enjoyable seeing us chuck away the chance of auto promotion when the rest of the teams around us are just as rubbish and though I think SSC is a god , he's woefully underperformed this season and just like last year , post new year our form is relegation type not promotion . Marek is a good player but he too has been very poor of late , I'm afraid this generation of players don't seem to want it , nor do they have any desire or bottle for a fight , it's like others have said , out with the old in with the new .

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Apr 2009 18:32

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo
Royalee

What does this mean? How is one's opinion unfounded?

Plonker

In that there is no evidence whatsoever to back it up - nobody else has had the resources Coppell has.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Apr 2009 18:34

Why the hell should people enjoy/accept failure?! The fact the club might be well run financially does not compensate for p*ss poor performances on the playing side. If anything, it makes it even more frustrating. On what basis can you say that Coppell is doing a better job than anyone else could?! He admits he made some serious mistakes that cost us dear last year and I suspect he may end up doing the same at the end of this season. Last year he kept telling us he wasn't quite sure what was wrong or how to fix it and we got relegated. This year he is saying the same sort of things and sadly it is looking increasingly likely that we may miss out on promotion.

Another common factor between both seasons is that we had people like you telling us that we should be grateful, things were in our own hands and would surely work out OK!

Whatever the outcome of this season, I reckon it is time to call on the services of another Irishman, this time from north of the border. And that feeling becomes even stronger when Coppell once again comes out with the same old crap to excuse his/the team's failure.

COPPELL BEMOANS FIXTURES

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/na ... ationwide1

Reading manager Steve Coppell bemoaned the international calendar after his side failed to move to within a point of the Championship automatic promotion places following a 0-0 draw at Coventry.

Leaders Wolves and second-placed Birmingham meet on Monday night

but the Royals could not take advantage and remain three place behind Blues, albeit with a game on hand.

Coppell bemoaned his side's luck which has seen them have to travel to away games following international matches but was glad they had avoided defeat at the Ricoh Arena where both the top two have been beaten this season.

Coppell said: "I think over the course of the last two years there have probably been 10 or 11 international breaks and on nine or 10 of those we have then been away from home.

"It doesn't sound as though that should make a difference but when you have players travelling all over the world it does.

"For us to get something out of this game psychologically was very important because I know Wolves and Birmingham have come here and have been beaten so that's a plus for us."

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 04 Apr 2009 18:40

S09Royal

Good post & fully agreed!

Nice to see some sense of perspective on the team board.
We might be going to Wembley or having a last game of the season at home with that actually matters. Look forward to it and enjoy the excitement.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 04 Apr 2009 18:49

The writing was an the wall concerning the desire and urgency to return to the Premiership when, after palying pretty poorly since the Birmingham match, we totally ignored the opportunity to freshen things up during the window, ok we did bring in Tabb, who has hardly kicked a ball for us, and some guy from Ipswich reserves, Holland I think, who has played a reserve match ??..........hardly players that are going to fight for you and push you up the table. We had the opportunity, then, to unload our under achieving, but wanted players, Hunt and Harper and use the money to invest in a couple of new, motivated players, but no, we again showed blind loyalty to them, ironic that both have been struggling to hold down a first team place over the last month or so.

I have, since the catastrophic failure by club to act when we were struggling last year, wondered many times about what the ambition and forward moving ideas the club management has for Reading FC, looking at Fulham on Setanta at the moment, they just survived last year, but invested reasonably heavilly throughout the close season, and have had a good year comfortable in the top half of the table, for sure if we had survived we would have bimbled along trying to squeeze blood out of a stone rather than any financial investment in the future position of the club in the top league.

We are where we are due to the lack of investment in good quality players, who have the ambititon to succeed, that cost us last season and will surly cost us again this year, players in the first x1 just seem to be going through the motions and picking up the wage packet, oblivious to the desires of the supporters. Sadly, I cant get excited about the last few weeks of the season, we are likely to lose third place next week and may even struggle to get to the play off's, not bad for a side much touted before Christmas as the best by miles in the Championship.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Apr 2009 18:52

RoyalBlue

Why the hell should people enjoy/accept failure?! The fact the club might be well run financially does not compensate for p*ss poor performances on the playing side. If anything, it makes it even more frustrating. On what basis can you say that Coppell is doing a better job than anyone else could?! He admits he made some serious mistakes that cost us dear last year and I suspect he may end up doing the same at the end of this season. Last year he kept telling us he wasn't quite sure what was wrong or how to fix it and we got relegated. This year he is saying the same sort of things and sadly it is looking increasingly likely that we may miss out on promotion.

Another common factor between both seasons is that we had people like you telling us that we should be grateful, things were in our own hands and would surely work out OK!

Whatever the outcome of this season, I reckon it is time to call on the services of another Irishman, this time from north of the border. And that feeling becomes even stronger when Coppell once again comes out with the same old crap to excuse his/the team's failure.

COPPELL BEMOANS FIXTURES

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/na ... ationwide1

Reading manager Steve Coppell bemoaned the international calendar after his side failed to move to within a point of the Championship automatic promotion places following a 0-0 draw at Coventry.

Leaders Wolves and second-placed Birmingham meet on Monday night

but the Royals could not take advantage and remain three place behind Blues, albeit with a game on hand.

Coppell bemoaned his side's luck which has seen them have to travel to away games following international matches but was glad they had avoided defeat at the Ricoh Arena where both the top two have been beaten this season.

Coppell said: "I think over the course of the last two years there have probably been 10 or 11 international breaks and on nine or 10 of those we have then been away from home.

"It doesn't sound as though that should make a difference but when you have players travelling all over the world it does.

"For us to get something out of this game psychologically was very important because I know Wolves and Birmingham have come here and have been beaten so that's a plus for us."

This International fixture thing is an excuse..other clubs particularly Wolves have had loads of call-ups and I cant see that it has affected them. I am still 100% behind Coppell but he should not be excusing another lame performance on Internationals especially as we have been poor for a good two months now.
Remarkably though we remain in the shake-up and a Wolves win at Brum would ceretainly help.We can still finish in the top two....one good result next Friday and it could look very different.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 04 Apr 2009 18:54

It's not 'completely in our hands' at all. We remain in a decent position, but we could win every game before the end of the season and come 4th.

And tbh the phrase 'it's completely in our hands' is irrelevant when we can't string a few wins together, never mind six.