This season is going to be brilliant

JR

This season is going to be brilliant

by JR » 31 Jul 2009 20:36

I am fed up with all the negativity on this board about the pre-season.

This season is going to be brilliant - I am very impressed with what Brendan has done so far. The tactics and attitude he has put in place and what he has been saying in the media has been encouraging. It is a refreshing change.

Worst case this season
Youngsters show signs of promise with some excellent results marred by some comprehensive defeats due to naivety. Fans agree that it has been an interesting season with potential for following season, but overall disappointment at mid-table finish.

Best case this season
Reading take the league by storm with attractive, attacking and free-flowing football. The youngsters flourish as Reading gain a well deserved automatic promotion. Brendan Rogers is hailed as a genius and Steve Coppell and Stephen Hunt are long forgotten.

Personally, I think we will be contenders for at least the play-offs and best case is not out of the question.

This is a poor league (just look at the turmoil at the bookies favourites) with Reading one of the few teams who have had a positive pre-season.

Let's get behind the team from the start and not be so negative. Come on URRRZZZZ!

sandhurstroyal

Re: This season is going to be brilliant

by sandhurstroyal » 31 Jul 2009 20:40

You do make a good point, however the key thing that makes the championship so exciting is form. If Rodgers can put together a squad with the confidence to look for three points and play every match like a cup final the royals have a chance of doing something great this season.

Do I see that happening?

No Comment.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 31 Jul 2009 20:52

Good post. Nice to see some positivity.

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 31 Jul 2009 21:17

I shall wait until the first week in September before I start predicting anything for this season. At the moment I am happy to wait a couple of years for any firm promotion push, so long as there is evidence of improvement in that time. Anything will be better than watching the utter pony I was subjected to in the second half of last season. It would be great to watch our youth players attack this division with pace, confidence and belief.

Glen Little's Nose
Location: Watching Adam Miller dive nose first into the West Stand!

by Glen Little's Nose » 31 Jul 2009 21:45

I think only West Brom can consider themselves strong contenders for promotion and they have a new manager so not guaranteed.

Then you have;

ourselves
Sheff utd
Preston
Cardiff?
swansea?

So lots to be positive about.

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 31 Jul 2009 22:05

Forest? They must be up there this year.

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 31 Jul 2009 23:08

Um..what about Ipswich and Newcastle for goodness sake !!...
I know the geordies are in turmoil but Keane has money to spend and maybe today's sad news adds momentum for both

It is nice to think that a bright young squad might compete but be realistic..those that spend the money or have done
in the recent past will be right up there.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Aug 2009 01:00

no it's not

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Aug 2009 01:07

yes it is

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 01 Aug 2009 11:42

I agree with Leon and RR.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Aug 2009 12:11

I'm not going to disagree with the sentiment of the original poster apart from his idea that we have had a positive pre-season.
As usual we have tonked some very friendly Swedes but apart from that,unless we thrash a full Chelsea first team this afternoon,I'm not sure where you get this "positive pre-season" from when we have sold our best strker and so far brought in a Chelsea kid on loan who has already been loaned out to 4 different clubs.
We all WANT it to be brilliant but as another poster said we need to be some way into the season to judge how it might all pan out.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Aug 2009 12:32

Apart from anything else, the fact that the likes of Robson Kanu, Church and Davies have received very positive reviews from the people on here who have watched games makes it a pretty positive pre-season for me.

We really don't need to "thrash a full Chelsea team" this afternoon for that to be reaffirmed.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Aug 2009 12:45

[quote="Royal Rother"]Apart from anything else, the fact that the likes of Robson Kanu, Church and Davies have received very positive reviews from the people on here who have watched games makes it a pretty positive pre-season for me.

In games against???
I have to say I like what I have seen of Davies when in The Conference with Aldershot but let's not underestimate what a big step it will be for the young players even from Divs 1 and 2.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Aug 2009 12:47

Bring it on

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Aug 2009 12:47

Victor Meldrew
Royal Rother Apart from anything else, the fact that the likes of Robson Kanu, Church and Davies have received very positive reviews from the people on here who have watched games makes it a pretty positive pre-season for me.

In games against???
I remember people saying that Simeon Howell would have a big future with us as would Peter Castle.
I have to say I like what I have seen of Davies when in The Conference with Aldershot but let's not underestimate what a big step it will be for the young players even from Divs 1 and 2.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 01 Aug 2009 12:47

Victor Meldrew I'm not going to disagree with the sentiment of the original poster apart from his idea that we have had a positive pre-season.
As usual we have tonked some very friendly Swedes but apart from that,unless we thrash a full Chelsea first team this afternoon,I'm not sure where you get this "positive pre-season" from when we have sold our best strker and so far brought in a Chelsea kid on loan who has already been loaned out to 4 different clubs.
We all WANT it to be brilliant but as another poster said we need to be some way into the season to judge how it might all pan out.

Nail. Head. Hit. On.

The positive thing is that we got rid of the dead wood from the squad and have reinvigorated things with a youthful apprach and a new manager who is bringing in much needed fresh ideas

On the down side we havent really captured our transfer targets and have a few holes in the squad that I would bet BR want to fill with quality as soon as possible

I really dont think there has been much negativity on the board yet though. A little frustration at the lack of transfer activity, but if JR thinks this has been a raft of negativity then he is going to have a fit over the next few months as we most likely struggle a little bit to find our feet with the new style and new youthful squad

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 01 Aug 2009 12:57

On the down side we havent really captured our transfer targets and have a few holes in the squad that I would bet BR want to fill with quality as soon as possible

You'd think the window was closed :|

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Aug 2009 13:04

Sorry to bring the mood of positivity down - but shirley "worst case this season" wouldn't be mid-table but relegation? Carry on though...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Aug 2009 13:34

Victor Meldrew I'm not going to disagree with the sentiment of the original poster apart from his idea that we have had a positive pre-season.

Youngsters showing promise. Three main strikers all in the goals. Not let that many in. Everyone getting minutes on the pitch. More experienced players looking good as well, after some disappointing performances the last few seasons.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Aug 2009 13:37

Royal Lady Sorry to bring the mood of positivity down - but shirley "worst case this season" wouldn't be mid-table but relegation? Carry on though...

Taken like that surely worst case scenario this season is being folded and ceasing to exist?

The OP may be a little over optimistic on the worst case scenario, but it's fairly clear he's aiming at a worst realistic case.