Back From The Game - Sheff Utd (H)

153 posts
Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back From The Game - Sheff Utd (H)

by Wimb » 22 Aug 2009 22:22

Northern Git
winchester_royal
Mr Mad wouldn't do that. Sorry to burst this little Madejski hate session, but the guy has done more for the club than anyone.

Winch for christ sake get your head out the sand.

Do you really really think we are moving forward?

Premiership 8th place to were we are now?

If you don't think he can get money out the club then, I am sorry to say, you are a naive prat

So Ipswich who were 5th also moved forward? how about Derby who used to finish in the top 10 regularly. How about Bradford who spent two seasons in the Premiership. How about Charlton who finished 8th. What about Southampton who got to a cup final and had plenty of top half finishes, Leeds maybe, Forest, Sheff Wed etc etc? There are only 10 or so places available in the Premier League at any one time and right now it's not our time.

Fook sake get YOUR head out of the sand, football goes in cycles. None of those clubs I mentioned have gotten back to 8th in the Premiership and most of them splashed a shedload of cash at the problem.

The only side who you can compare us to who have done well without a Mr Moneybags who treats the club as a toy are perhaps Bolton. Every other Prem team is either on our relative level or has a sugardaddy.

And I'll say again Northern, WHY would he take money out of the club?

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 22 Aug 2009 22:23

It really feels to me that we’re a couple of signings away from an awesome team. Two lapses of concentration and a fluke goalkeeping error were what undid us today. Apart from the first ten minutes of the second half we looked nine tenths there towards being of a really excellent side.

I’m feeling positive. Like when we lost to Plymouth on the opening day, I just felt then that there were all the ingredients just waiting to gel.

I thought the same today. It’s taking a bit longer to turn around this time, but the schism with the past first team and the change in approach is more marked this season.
Sigurdsson was exceptional – put in more quality balls than Hunt did in the last ten games of last season. We do, obviously, need someone on the end of them – Hunt maybe, Long: I just don’t see it.

Tabb was the nearest thing to an aggressive and tenacious midfielder as we’ve seen since Sidders left.
If in four games time from now it’s still looking bleak I’ll start to worry. For now, I’ve seen enough to make me think that we’re actually going to be OK, and next season we’ll storm it.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 22 Aug 2009 22:23

[/quote]="winchester_royal
Mr Mad wouldn't do that. Sorry to burst this little Madejski hate session, but the guy has done more for the club than anyone./quote]

Quite right..to a point.

Times are tough (even for SJM). He owes the supporters absolutely nothing. Apart from ensuring that the club is sustainable and viable - he needs to either satisfy or manage OUR expectations (I'm not sure that that is happening at the moment)

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 22 Aug 2009 22:25

Darren Caskey's Dietician For me, Glyfi was the highlight of the day for me. He looked absolutely class.

+ 1.

It's funny how quickley Fed goes from Hero at Swansea, and villian against utd. He was at fault for at least one goal today, and had he not let that in, we would still of lost 2:1. How ever he DID stop the penalty, and by his performance alone, won us a point at Swansea.

By the end of the season (baring in mind, we arn't going up this year) he will of adjusted and got it all out his system. As will Pearce. Its just a new experience, the weight of expectation and being captain etc

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Aug 2009 22:32

My take on preceedings this afternoon.

Really unlucky not to go in at half time ahead. Second half was a different story altogether. I would say over the 90 that the blunts deserved it for being more clinical.

Federici
Before the florists game me and a mate said in the car that he would be a weak link.

Back 4 did ok but there was no cover at all out wide. Rosie and Plastic were all too often left 2 on 1
Mid 4 again were pretty much ok. I would give Gylfi MoM.

The front 2. My message is very simple. Shane Long is NOT a footballer. He gives away far too many free kicks and appears to do little else than sulk. He is the new Leroy Lita without the ability. HTH he gets a game ahead of Mooney I will never know. Hunt? Bit like his brother really. Ran around a lot with no end product.

We desperately need some experience to help out the youngsters. They curently lack the experience and mental toughness. It will come but they need help and quickly.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 22 Aug 2009 22:49

Wimb
Northern Git
winchester_royal
Mr Mad wouldn't do that. Sorry to burst this little Madejski hate session, but the guy has done more for the club than anyone.

If you don't think he can get money out the club then, I am sorry to say, you are a naive prat

So Ipswich who were 5th also moved forward? how about Derby who used to finish in the top 10 regularly. How about Bradford who spent two seasons in the Premiership. How about Charlton who finished 8th. What about Southampton who got to a cup final and had plenty of top half finishes, Leeds maybe, Forest, Sheff Wed etc etc? There are only 10 or so places available in the Premier League at any one time and right now it's not our time.

Fook sake get YOUR head out of the sand, football goes in cycles. None of those clubs I mentioned have gotten back to 8th in the Premiership and most of them splashed a shedload of cash at the problem.

The only side who you can compare us to who have done well without a Mr Moneybags who treats the club as a toy are perhaps Bolton. Every other Prem team is either on our relative level or has a sugardaddy.

And I'll say again Northern, WHY would he take money out of the club?

To invest elsewhere?

A hotel perhaps?

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 22 Aug 2009 22:53

What is all the vile about Fed? mistake for the second goal of course, but the third? need to see it again. he pulled off a good save later on and i think, at his age, he will be a top class keeper. i really do. As for the rest of the team? well. Cisse is another who gets far too much stick, today he was not the worse player. As for Mills, well give him time, although if we keep playing like we are we might not have that. We need more in the box at home...

We were poor today in the second half, but doesnt anybody agree if we went into half time one nil up we would have won?

But most importantly - Where has the money gone? I was singing it. Its about time we sung it more often, until the question is answered...by JM, in detail, with full proof.

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 22 Aug 2009 22:55

If you don't think he can get money out the club then, I am sorry to say, you are a naive prat[/quote]

And I'll say again Northern, WHY would he take money out of the club?[/quote]

To invest elsewhere?

A hotel perhaps?[/quote]

A rich man always want more - thats what made him rich. Also, please, there is no such word as gotten. thanks. its very American.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 22 Aug 2009 22:58

bigshaka'away'
A rich man always want more - thats what made him rich. Also, please, there is no such word as gotten. thanks. its very American.

Apologies for the slang, has always been a pet word of mine.

If he wanted more why has he spent so much on the club over 20 years knowing full well it's made a profit twice in 20 years?

Why wouldn't he sell the club on the cheap and then just ask for his loans back if he was so desperate for cash?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 22 Aug 2009 23:07

lol, Feds tweet tonight, "oxf*rd!!!" :D

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 22 Aug 2009 23:15

I dont think he is desperate for cash. Far from it. As i understand his wish to continue and the belief he has has gone. He has donated money to and saved this club. For that i am eternally grateful. And if he is using all this money to reimburse all the money he has invested then fair enough. But if that is the case, well, then tell us. The money is going back to me after all the money i have put in over the years. I think many would see this as just, or at least understandable. If that is not the case - then where is the money?

He is a rich man with little true happiness, a strange personality, conservative in outlook - As the program upcoming on BBC 4 wil show. He is not interested in going up anymore. He wants out. The belief has gone. Like so many of ours.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Aug 2009 23:28

bigshaka'away' I dont think he is desperate for cash. Far from it. As i understand his wish to continue and the belief he has has gone. He has donated money to and saved this club. For that i am eternally grateful. And if he is using all this money to reimburse all the money he has invested then fair enough. But if that is the case, well, then tell us. The money is going back to me after all the money i have put in over the years. I think many would see this as just, or at least understandable. If that is not the case - then where is the money?

He is a rich man with little true happiness, a strange personality, conservative in outlook - As the program upcoming on BBC 4 wil show. He is not interested in going up anymore. He wants out. The belief has gone. Like so many of ours.

I sat there today, thinking "why am I here? I could be in the park with my kids - at least they'd be having fun. This is sh*t and pointless"
To be fair I've felt like that for a few years now, so maybe I shouldn't keep buying the season ticket. But if I keep buying the season ticket and investing in the team so should the chairman. Especially as Sky hasnt been paying my petrol for the last 3 years

working class hero

by working class hero » 22 Aug 2009 23:29

Church - 4 - not convinced - think he needs a season a division lower

He may get that next season....

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 22 Aug 2009 23:41

Marks /10 before reading the rest of the thread

Federici 2 Hahnemanesque

Rosenior 5
Bertrand 6 Did two player's work
Pearce 4
Mills 4

Karacan 5 Worked hard
Tabb 2 Poor Bertrand (Tabb was meant to be on the left wasn't he?)
Cisse 4 Confusing

Hunt 4 If he doesn't score he isn't great, but no lack of effort
Siggurdson 6 Some good stuff and surprisingly strong for one of the kids

Long 4 Too much posing

Rodgers 1 Abysmal - if he is impatient and won't give his ideas time to work, you can hardly blame the fans for doing the same
Whinging women sat behind me 5 - shut up nicely after a first-half telling off

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 22 Aug 2009 23:59

wolsey
SteveRoyal I find it remarkable that the majority of fans always focus on the negatives of every game.
Let's be honest, even in Coppell's era it would always be difficult to beat Sheffield United - they are a class Championship act.
We're a new team, new manager, new tactics, new coaches, completely new. We're getting used to the transition and put up something of a fight against promotion contenders and all the fans focus on is that we lost.

A few points: -

How many games did a Coppell team lose against Sheff Utd?

The words "Sheffield Utd" and "class..act" are almost mutually exclusive.

We aren't undergoing a transition, we are suffering the results of a Slash and Burn policy...didn't need to be this way, but it seems to have been the preferred route for a number of parties at the Club.

Never mind...mindless optimism is always a nice, comforting place to be.

I didn't say we've never lost against them and never should, I said they are a difficult team to play against.
I said Sheffield United are a "class Championship act", which isn't really that flattering.
I agree with the policy point, however.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 23 Aug 2009 00:07

SteveRoyal
wolsey
SteveRoyal I find it remarkable that the majority of fans always focus on the negatives of every game.
Let's be honest, even in Coppell's era it would always be difficult to beat Sheffield United - they are a class Championship act.
We're a new team, new manager, new tactics, new coaches, completely new. We're getting used to the transition and put up something of a fight against promotion contenders and all the fans focus on is that we lost.

A few points: -

How many games did a Coppell team lose against Sheff Utd?

The words "Sheffield Utd" and "class..act" are almost mutually exclusive.

We aren't undergoing a transition, we are suffering the results of a Slash and Burn policy...didn't need to be this way, but it seems to have been the preferred route for a number of parties at the Club.

Never mind...mindless optimism is always a nice, comforting place to be.

I didn't say we've never lost against them and never should, I said they are a difficult team to play against.
I said Sheffield United are a "class Championship act", which isn't really that flattering.
I agree with the policy point, however.

How many games has a BR team played a sheffield utd team compared to a coppell team?
Last edited by Plymouth_Royal on 23 Aug 2009 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 23 Aug 2009 00:08

My main question is 'What is the pecking order at the club?'

Harper should have walked into the team today and to make Pearce captain at his expense is pure folly.
Any player we have with some pedigree of playing at this or a higher level - Cisse, Hunt and Long - are walking around like zombies as if they dont know where they stand at the club. BR may make the academy players feel good about themselves, and I must admit Im interested to see where he's going with this, but why are the more experienced players looking so dejected? Im going to give this a few more games before losing fath, however.

OK, my scouting report.
Federici - Better at crosses than Marcus, but that mistake is just unforgiveable
Bertrand - Confidence player - hasnt got any at the moment. Asked to do way too much in that formation
Rosenior - One of his better games. Not saying much though
Mills - Beginning to look suspect clearing the ball
Pearce - How on earth are you captain?
Cisse - Absolutely pointless "contribution".
Karacan - Played badly today. The boy is class, mind - needs some older players around him
Sigurddson - Obviously has lots of quality.
Tabb - I like him, but he doesnt like being in this team, does he?
Long - Rubbish
Hunt - Rubbish x 2

My overall view is that I dont want Tommy Smith - he'd hate it here. We need a bit of morale first, before we invite anybody else to our miserable party.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 23 Aug 2009 00:17

SLAMMED JM is a tight fisted twat who is more concerned about profit than progress.

You haven't really been paying attention for the last couple of decades have you. JM is a rich man who invested a lot of money and way more time and work than he needed to over nearly twenty years on having a successful football club, and now he's had enough of it. Sure he's selling off the assets, sure it's worrying for the fans who have high expectations, and maybe it's not the right approach to being a chairman. But if you think he has made a profit on RFC over the time he's been here, you can't add up. As everyone agrees, football has changed in that time, and where in 1992 someone like John Madejski could afford to gamble on the success of his club, in 2009 he thinks he can't stay in the game. The stakes have got a lot higher for a single owner.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 23 Aug 2009 00:19

Dr Hfuhruhurr My overall view is that I dont want Tommy Smith

+1

The saga has been extremely bad for the club, and seems to be a sign of the general malaise.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 23 Aug 2009 00:23

Handsome Man Marks /10 before reading the rest of the thread

Tabb 2 Poor Bertrand (Tabb was meant to be on the left wasn't he?)

Tabb had a decent game. Determined with some good passes. I'm shocked you rated him so poorly.

153 posts