Loanwatch 09-10

539 posts
yorksroyal

Re: Loanwatch 09-10

by yorksroyal » 31 Mar 2010 17:32

That Friday Feeling Reserve football has certainly changed in the last few years.

Not many clubs actually field a reserve side, choosing instead to play youngsters in a more regular/competitive format. Lots of the billy-big-bollocks players in the first team get the hump about playing for the second string.

That's not been the case at RFC (and maybe McD's recent record hints as to the reason why) so our reserve team has been stronger, winning the prem reserve title. I dare say that the opposition playing the youngsters "up a level" results in a corresponding weakening of their academy teams compared to ours.

Also the quality of an academy team is dependant on which positions you have strong players, and how mature they are. I'm not saying that's the case with the Reading Academy, but if they have brilliant players who haven't finished their growth spurt, especially if they're fullbacks and/or wingers, but a crap keeper, and we have a decent keeper, and big lads playing central defender, midfielder and striker then it'll be close, but once they've grown up that size/speed/strength advantage is generally lost.

I'd rather lose every game at Academy level and produce two or three brilliant players, than win every game with a nicely balanced side of kids who will go on to play their whole career in League One or Two.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 31 Mar 2010 20:19

It's amazing how many academies take the attidude that it's a results business.

They will play 3 1st year pros and make the team up of nearly all 2nd years.

Reading never play pros and certainly towards the end of the season play nearly only 1st years and schoolboys.

Might never win the FA youth cup but hey ho...

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 05 Apr 2010 19:53

Watched about an hours worth of the Yeovil-Leeds game today.

1st time i've seen McCarthy. Had a bit of a dodgy 1st half, making 1 good save before then getting lucky when coming off his line. Was caught in no mans land for Leeds 1st goal, a header at the far post across goal, but could do nothing about the 2nd goal and after conceding those 2 goals made a decent save before HT. Made a couple of decent saves in the 2nd half that i saw to keep Yeovil in the game before they got one back. Not sure how he did after that but it finished 2-1 to Leeds. On that evidence wouldnt have a problem with him being backup next season, was quite impressed in the end, think Hamer needs a loan spell more than him next season anyway..

Davies played 65 mins and seemed to be on the right though he did look to drift inside. He did ok but wasn't involved much once Leeds went in front, though he did make a goal-line clearance shortly before coming off. On that evidence i'm not sure he's a worthwhile option for right midfield tbh, think i'd rather see Antonio ahead of him.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 10 Apr 2010 15:45

Another goal for Antonio today at Southampton

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 24 Apr 2010 16:11

Antonio scores one and makes one for Saints.

EDIT:

Make that scores 2 and makes 1.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 24 Apr 2010 16:39

Messiah Antonio scores one and makes one for Saints.

EDIT:

I really hope we keep him. He could be very useful sub next year.

Messiah

by Messiah » 24 Apr 2010 17:38

I was there at Elm Park

EDIT:

'greed, and a free in the summer I think.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 26 Apr 2010 16:54

I was there at Elm Park

EDIT:

He could well be the first out the door unfortunately - according to Virgin Media anyway.....

Southampton are in talks with Reading over keeping Michail Antonio at St Mary's.

The 20-year-old winger has enjoyed a successful season on loan with Saints, hitting seven goals including a Wembley strike in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final.

"I still don't know exactly what the future holds, but Reading and Southampton are in talks," said Antonio.

"I'd be happy to stay because I'm enjoying my football, playing games and scoring goals, so there is nothing holding me back from signing."

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 26 Apr 2010 17:01

Messiah
I was there at Elm Park

EDIT:

'greed, and a free in the summer I think.

Probably not a free (Age and all that)

Would have been interesting to see what Maccy D could have made of him (but having said that do we need another potentially flakey winger/"striker"?)

Messiah

by Messiah » 26 Apr 2010 17:28

He may as well be a free. We wont see much for him if it goes to a tribunal.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 26 Apr 2010 17:44

Messiah He may as well be a free. We wont see much for him if it goes to a tribunal.

The rumour when he came was that we had paid £100,000. We have improved him so why on earth would we allow him to go on a free? If we offer a new contract and he refuses to sign then it will go to tribunal but I very much doubt that either Reading or Southampton would want that. If he really wants to go a fee will be agreed, but I think more likely we will offer a new contract and he will then go back to Southampton on loan for next season. That makes more sense all round.

Messiah

by Messiah » 26 Apr 2010 19:29

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/na ... 64406.html

Southampton are in talks with Reading over keeping Michail Antonio at St Mary's.

The 20-year-old winger has enjoyed a successful season on loan with Saints, hitting seven goals including a Wembley strike in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final.

"I still don't know exactly what the future holds, but Reading and Southampton are in talks," said Antonio.

"I'd be happy to stay because I'm enjoying my football, playing games and scoring goals, so there is nothing holding me back from signing."

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 26 Apr 2010 19:34

have a look at barry's post a few above yours youfuckingplonker

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Apr 2010 22:58

Just seen on bbc that Bozanic has 'cut short his loan spell with Aldershot'. Anyone know why? Seems a strange decision, unless we intend to play him vs Preston on last day of season ....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Apr 2010 22:59

Jay, as I believe Suggs once sang: "You are a disgrace to the human race"

Messiah

by Messiah » 27 Apr 2010 09:28

Reading Post 27/04/2010

Michail Antonio could quit Reading and join former Royals boss Alan Pardew at Southampton.

The 20-year-old winger is out of contract at the end of this season and has been on loan at the League One club since October - earning rave reviews in the process.

However, because the former Tooting and Mitcham midfielder is under 24-years-old, Brian McDermott’s side would be due compensation if the two clubs couldn’t agree a financial package themselves.

“I still don’t know what the future holds,” said the former non-league star.

“Reading and Southampton are still in talks and I don’t really know what’s going to happen, but I will be happy to stay here.

“I’m enjoying my football, playing games and scoring goals. So there’s nothing holding me back from signing.”

Antonio scored twice last Saturday as Saints beat Carlisle 3-2 and the speedster also admitted that his football had improved after making his move to St Mary’s.

“Since I’ve moved here I’ve made a lot of progress. Each game that goes by I’m just getting better and better.

“My technical ability is something I’ve really worked on. When I first came here I was raw and I just had the power and pace, but technically I’ve got much better now.

And Antonio also credited Pardew for the help and guidance his manager had given him on the South coast.

He added: “He’s influenced me a lot, he’s told me what I needed to work on.

“He told me to stay after training and do some things and I started to do that, so he’s helped me a lot.”

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Apr 2010 09:44

Michael Antonio “He told me to stay after training and do some things....”

:shock:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 27 Apr 2010 10:21

Will be disappointed if Reading don't offer Antonio a new contract.

Messiah

by Messiah » 27 Apr 2010 10:36

rg6royal Will be disappointed if Reading don't offer Antonio a new contract.

'greed. A very usefull back up for McAnuff and Kebe. I think the fact we're in talks with Saints means we're haggling a fee and he's off.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Apr 2010 10:43

rg6royal Will be disappointed if Reading don't offer Antonio a new contract.

I get the impression he wouldn't sign anyway.........

539 posts