Season/Team Fears & Concerns - Season Review Pending

(.)Boobies(.)

Season/Team Fears & Concerns - Season Review Pending

by (.)Boobies(.) » 04 Sep 2009 11:18

Ok, I'm suggesting a thread with a difference. I am asking you to write one post, and only one post. We've had multiple and repetitive discussions elsewhere about the varying opinions of what the club are trying to do etc. Please place on record any concerns you have about the team or even the support of the Chairman, if you like. Maybe you're concerned about having to many youngsters in the side, to many loan players, to many sales, the money in vs the money out... Highlight everything, and where possible, explain your case for concern. There are many voices on here, many of whom go missing when proved wrong or deny their previous comments. At the seasons end we can review the differring opinions vs what has happened this season, and where the club seems to be, and looks like heading. After all, the team, manager, players, club as a unit, all need time, and there are opinion on here one week that change the next all because they don't give it time.

Remember, one post only. This is not a thread for discussion. We've done that to death elsewhere.

(If the moderators feel this is a worthwhile topic, please can you make it a sticky for future viewing?)

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Season/Team Fears & Concerns - Season Review Pending

by Terminal Boardom » 04 Sep 2009 11:22

(.)Boobies(.) Ok, I'm suggesting a thread with a difference. I am asking you to write one post, and only one post. We've had multiple and repetitive discussions elsewhere about the varying opinions of what the club are trying to do etc. Please place on record any concerns you have about the team or even the support of the Chairman, if you like. Maybe you're concerned about having to many youngsters in the side, to many loan players, to many sales, the money in vs the money out... Highlight everything, and where possible, explain your case for concern. There are many voices on here, many of whom go missing when proved wrong or deny their previous comments. At the seasons end we can review the differring opinions vs what has happened this season, and where the club seems to be, and looks like heading. After all, the team, manager, players, club as a unit, all need time, and there are opinion on here one week that change the next all because they don't give it time.

Remember, one post only. This is not a thread for discussion. We've done that to death elsewhere.

(If the moderators feel this is a worthwhile topic, please can you make it a sticky for future viewing?)

What's the point?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Sep 2009 11:25

I have no concerns or worries. I think we'll be grand.

The beer's still shit though.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 04 Sep 2009 11:26

Isn't it time we had a singing area?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Sep 2009 11:29

Maguire I have no concerns or worries. I think we'll be grand.

The beer's still shit though.

Same, even if we end up in 16th place I'm still fairly confident the football will be more enjoyable to watch than the second half of last season which is just fine by me.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 04 Sep 2009 11:31

Absolutely no fears at all, good crop of very talented youngsters, some experienced older heads and a talented manager with great potential.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 04 Sep 2009 11:37

Very little chance of promotion this season but hopefully the youngsters can come on, the new team can gel and we can sneak into the top half. Much better prospects for next season.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 04 Sep 2009 11:48

howser Absolutely no fears at all, good crop of very talented youngsters, some experienced older heads and a talented manager with great potential.

As above. Would like to add a very sensible Chairman who is securing our long term future in these times of fear.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 04 Sep 2009 11:52

Main concern is that we have too many fans who want instant success

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Sep 2009 11:59

(.)Boobies(.) Ok, I'm suggesting a thread with a difference. I am asking you to write one post, and only one post. We've had multiple and repetitive discussions elsewhere about the varying opinions of what the club are trying to do etc. Please place on record any concerns you have about the team or even the support of the Chairman, if you like. Maybe you're concerned about having to many youngsters in the side, to many loan players, to many sales, the money in vs the money out... Highlight everything, and where possible, explain your case for concern. There are many voices on here, many of whom go missing when proved wrong or deny their previous comments. At the seasons end we can review the differring opinions vs what has happened this season, and where the club seems to be, and looks like heading. After all, the team, manager, players, club as a unit, all need time, and there are opinion on here one week that change the next all because they don't give it time.

I'm not reading all that.

Rogers Out!
Bring it on!

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 04 Sep 2009 12:02

None. Just very concerned by the fans wanting instant success as sun tzu mentioned. I also think it's a bit early to be reviewing the team after a handful of games.

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 04 Sep 2009 12:06

I am happy that we have enough youngsters, not only to form a team, but enough to cover for injuries now that we have a few more experienced players. My hope is that BR will soon figure out his best team and we can climb up the table. We may not get to the top, but we can encourage the feeling that we are "on the up".

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 04 Sep 2009 12:18

My only concern is whether or not I'll be able to continue paying over £400 a season as an excuse to go out drinking. Don't care so much about what happens on the pitch

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 04 Sep 2009 12:25

My main concern is Brendan Rodgers. I certainly back him at the moment, no doubt about that, but I can't work out whether he's David Brent or Brian Clough. He's got a version of the godawful Brent manager-speak down pat (not everything can be "first" or "world class", and not everybody can be a "good man", surely?) but I think he acted swiftly and decisively when he realised he couldn't turn last season's reserves and loan players into a decent Championship side. Nicky Hammond and Sir John deserve credit for backing the manager’s judgment on that and us playing Newcastle away so early in the season could well be a decisive stroke of fortune for our season, because it clearly triggered the emergency spate of (we hope) season-saving signings seen in the past week.

To wit: I have to reserve judgment on the signings of O'Dea, Cummings and to an extent McAnuff as I haven't seen them play (or not enough to make a decision in McAnuff's case). But I like the thought of Rasiak playing alongside Hunt (whose fitness could be vitally important for us this season), and Howard is potentially a bargain at 300k – he must be the “link man” that Brendan has said he is after. On top of that, Mills has looked shaky but undoubtedly a good long-term pick and Plastic Bertrand has been solid but unspectacular at left-back. Lots more to come from both, surely?

The recent outgoings? Rosenior clearly isn’t up to the Rodgers way of playing, but I’m disappointed that Harper had to go because I think he still had a role to play for us. I really hope the guy does well up there, but at this point I can’t accept that it was a good move for anybody.

Of the rest of the squad so far, amongst the youngsters I think Gylfi looks to have the most potential. Davies has looked OK too, if a bit raw – as has H R-K, who needs to go back out on loan. Church makes some great runs but seems to lack touch and composure and needs to improve these fast or be sold to a League One club. Pearcey will continue to grow into his role, Kara is a bit up and down but deserves more game time and Henry appears to have gone backwards. He and Mooney might as well leave, they will not make it at this level. Fed is doing a good job at number one. Who have I missed?

Of the older lads, Tabb, Gunnar and Cisse have all done solid jobs and are important squad mainstays, but Kebe is the standout. He will always be Bambi-on-ice but clearly revels in the advanced position and will be near the top of the Fantasy League points totals this season.

That leaves Marek – there seems no option with him other than giving him a decent half-dozen game run in the team and if it still isn’t working, away he goes in January. Can we take that risk, though? If not, why waste everybody’s time and the club’s money? Put him out on loan till the transfer window opens again. I say that as a fan of the player.

The big problem coming out of all these moves is squad morale, in my view. Rodgers was telling all the youngsters all summer about how good they were, the great work they were putting in and the wonderful future they have together. Now a fair proportion of them will have seen themselves drop down the pecking order, and a handful will find themselves back out on loan when they thought they’d made the breakthrough to the first team squad. Meantime BR has to gel the disparate old and new faces together whilst keeping a whole raft of midfielders happy. It might be Christmas before that all comes together, by which time he could be under considerable pressure and crowds could be down to 13k-14k.

Having said all that, my expectations are low anyway, and have been since game two. 21st place and some entertaining football, with something resembling a decent squad spirit, will do for me. And I hope our fans remain loyal and supportive – we were poor towards the end of last season, and really need to step up to the mark because the team will need us desperately over the coming weeks.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Shane Long. Can't work out where he fits in, to be honest. I thought he improved last season, and would like to see him given a bigger role this season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Sep 2009 12:34

Right, I'm actually gonna give this a proper go.

I have concerns about the lack of experience and the spine of the team. I like Rodger's approach, but I'm not sure of his implementation yet. I have concerns that he talks the talk too much and doesn't walk the walk well enough.

I have my doubts about whether we have the personel to successfully play his 4-5-1/4-3-3 system. I also have a concern about whether his 4-4-2 diamond system is too narrow and is too big a departure from our old system which was very reliant on wingers. Also the diamond doesn't seem to me currently to be very compatable with the sort of squad needed for the 4-5-1/4-3-3.

However, I'm very pleased that we have so many young players looking to establish themselves and I have high hopes for Davies, Siggurdsson, HRK & Karacan in particular. I think we lack a young enough defensive midfielder who is good enough at passing. Gunnarsson is a very good player for this role, but I don't think he can or will play enough minutes to cover the position all season.

I'm not convinced by our wingers either. Kebe is not consistent enough and McAnuff is currently an unknown quantity. Henry appears out of favour for the wing, Church and Long are not primarily wide forwards/wingers and HRK is pretty raw, needing at least a season of playing IMO. Davies also needs to improve his overall game and clean up his cheap errors.

I think we're looking at midtable which is totally fine, but we'll not have a great deal of money to spend next year, when we'll probably be needing to buy in two or three high quality players to allow us to really kick on and challenge at the top again.

I don't think Long will make it.
I think the season will feel long and frustrating and tempers will fray often on here.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Sep 2009 12:48

I have no concerns whatsoever - this team is going places.

Rodgers is one smart cookie and will be a top top manager one day - hopefully with RFC. He is not afraid to chop and change and experiment a bit and is absolutely no respecter of egos and reputations. (Ref to Ian Royal's comment - he may have a short career in management behind him but he has always walked the walk before so I see no reason to doubt his credentials.)

After a slow start at Watford he quickly developed a style that suited the players at his disposal who then performed beyond all expectations in the 2nd half of the season. Whilst there he got experienced pros like Smith, Rasiak, Priskin and McAnuff playing some of the best football of their careers and youngsters like Jack Cork and Gavin Hoyte played like old heads under his tutelage.

At RFC, all the players in the squad (refreshingly including all the youngsters) were given a chance in the 1st month of the season and now he has assessed them all he has made the changes he deemed necessary - a very productive month with a dynamic and decisive response.

Onwards and upwards! Viva la revolution!!
Last edited by Royal Rother on 04 Sep 2009 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 Sep 2009 12:52

I've got absolutely no idea what will happen this (or any other) season. No-one foresaw our 106 season, nor our 8th in the Premiership. Nor our terrible second half of last season.

I am happy in this division, but losing still ruins my weekend. If we go up, great.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 04 Sep 2009 12:56

Royal Rother I have no concerns whatsoever - this team is going places.

Royal Botherer, I agree that we're going places but disapointed in your "OKAYNESS" about this.

The team is in one of those spirals that generally leads to league one and then if we're really unlucky, league two.

Bring back the glory days and sack the emperor who has spent all our money on the hotel.

Real teams need a real manager, not some whippit who has not even managed 30 Championship league games in his whole and I mean WHOLE career.

If I were king for a day and manager of RFC, this place would be full of people with avatars of me and weekly car park demos thanking me for being so bloody fantastic.

DO YOU SEE? :shock:

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 04 Sep 2009 12:59

duplicate -sorry
Last edited by Who Moved The Goalposts? on 04 Sep 2009 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 04 Sep 2009 13:02

Agree with many things that Ian and Royal Botherer (sic) said. But would add:

* I think this season can not be viewed as one where we'll be challenging for anything. We won't be relegated, but it's all about finding part one of the magic formula all over again. Part two will follow next year.

* Doutbless that some will be calling for BR's head sometime soon. But we of all teams should know that stability is a key factor in shaping future successes.
* I am quite pleased with our transfer acivity. Whether the players are right only time will tell, but we appear to have been very shrewd in our acquisitions in relation to who was available and how much we have to spend. And I think BR used his contacts/knowledge wisely.
* I can be a little critical of the general demeanour of the club's outwardly facing profile, but can't be too hard on JM. He's probably suffering at the moment, and I can never bring myself to berate someone who has delivered on his promise to fans over the last 16 years or so.
* That said, I don't like JM's name on my steak pie.